Thread: Humpty Dumpty Glock

Humpty Dumpty Glock

My buddy was moving away and he left me a lot of stuff.

I was rummaging through everything when I saw a Glock Tupperware Box marked “Parts only”.

When I opened the big box and saw the Tupperware, I was thinking it had like a trigger/trigger bar, Connector, Guide rod and maybe some spare slide stops. Then I see a slide, a receiver, barrel mag release and virtually everything else and I thought, This is a nearly complete gun in pieces!!

The whole time I thought Whiskey Tango Foxtrot! Hotel Delta! The slide was pristine but the grip looked like someone buried it in clay. Hahahaha

I proceeded to clean it up and assemble everything and it had almost all of the parts. My friend, an armorer, took a look at everything and said for me to clean each part thoroughly.

Turns out a broken Mag Release Spring was stuck in the channel. It was discovered after removing years of funk and debris.

I proceeded to use a pick and the thinnest needle nosed pliers I had, and Voila! Put it came.

Needless to say, I installed everything back in. I tested its function and test fired it.

Worked like a charm.

It needs new sights, and probably a new barrel.

But my box of ammo went through without a hitch.

All I replaced were the connector, slide lock and rear plate, in addition to the Mag release spring.

I posted the maiden voyage on my backyard range in Instagram. Definitely worked and it was on target. I was hitting my IDPA steel, Dueling tree and Arntzen 12 inch steel. I tried to make it fail by shooting some doubles and it ran like a charm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Damn. I wish my friends would leave me Glocks, too!

The barrel is probably fine. Take a look at the rifling and crown. Unless either is obviously damaged I probably wouldn't even bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Damn. I wish my friends would leave me Glocks, too!

The barrel is probably fine. Take a look at the rifling and crown. Unless either is obviously damaged I probably wouldn't even bother.
    Yeah, I check and it is perfect still.

Site Supporter
    Figure the market value for this pistol is about $400, so you "saved" that much money when you found it. Consequently, you now have an extra $400 to spend on ammo, or $300 on ammo and $100 on a holster! (PF enabler math.)

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pangloss; 08-24-2018 at 12:23 PM.

I think I remember in the past the rumor floating around was that if the mag release spring broke, the frame was junk because it usually couldn't be replaced. Looks like you lucked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I think I remember in the past the rumor floating around was that if the mag release spring broke, the frame was junk because it usually couldn't be replaced. Looks like you lucked out.
    I just approached it as I was dissecting like I did in medical school. I knew I had to get under the spring fragment and pull straight up. But it was high risk, as I dissect, I didn’t want to deepen the channel or widen it. If that happened, you’re correct the frame would have been wasted.

When I inserted the spring and mag release and saw the height was perfect, the rest was easy putting the Glock back together.

User Tag List