View Poll Results: What's your choice for carbine optic?

Voters
160. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aimpoint

103 64.38%
  • Eotech

4 2.50%
  • ACOG

5 3.13%
  • LPV

48 30.00%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Carbine Optics Poll

Quote Originally Posted by VT1032 View Post
    What do you have against it? I have one on one of my AR's and it's worked fine, but I haven't exactly beat the piss out of it yet.
    In fairness, I haven't owned one. I have looked through and shot with a few. My issues are:

- prevalent blue hue
    - prevalent image distortion (fisheye)

Based on the fisheye, my guess is parallax would be exacerbated compared to an Aimpoint. This video seems to back up my hypothesis.

Food Court Apprentice
    Semper Paratus certified AR15 armorer

Site Supporter
    Meprolight M21 because no batteries, no circuits, and works with my astigmatism

Site Supporter
    Currently using an Aimpoint ACO, and I am very happy with it.

Yes, I know, that isn't the most popular Aimpoint. At the time I bought it, I was able to get it for about $100 less than I would have paid for a PRO. Night vision and lens caps are irrelevant for my application. I did end up spending another $100 on a mount to lower the optic, but that mount has a quick detach lever, which I do not believe the mount on the PRO offers. I am also a big believer in buying the lowest priced product from the best manufacturer.

I have not yet tried an Eotech, ACOG, MRO, Meprolight, Vortex, Primary Arms, or any of the other currently popular optics. I have previously tried a C-More and an older (early 2000's) Trijicon Reflex sight. I was unable to shoot up to my normal performance level with the C-More, and found the older Reflex sight to be completely useless. The sight was heavily tinted, and I could not even see a standard 100 yard bullseye target at 100 yards when looking through this sight. With iron sights, I can see and hit that target.

I have not yet tried a LPV on an AR, but have one on another rifle. The weight of this scope is a definite negative, and the cost of many of the nicer scopes are simply not something I can justify given my current needs and priorities. One positive point: If I am not wearing glasses, I can turn the focus knob all the way to one side and see relatively clearly through the scope.

I voted Aimpoint since I have an H-1.

I've been running a Primary Arms advanced micro dot for almost a year and haven't been able to kill it on the Ulitmak on my AK.

Site Supporter
    I've got a 2-7 I've used on a 16" 6.8 upper that my son has hunted with, and it is now on a 20" 5.56 upper. I've used some red dots of various brands. I just seem to need some magnification these days, so a 1-4 or 2-7 work better for me.

Aimpoint PRO on my duty rifle and a Steiner p4xi (when it gets back from Steiner RMA) on my other. I'm planning on going to a Razor or maybe a Kahles on my duty rifle now that the p4xi has done what I needed it to and proved the concept of the LPVO to myself. I'll probably then move the p4xi to my third rifle which is currently without optics and my PRO to my shorty, or maybe I'll sell both and go with another Razor/Kahles and an ATACR. Haven't decided yet, but LPVO is my future, being able to use the magnification is great IMO.

Carbine Optics Poll

Aimpoints... two PROs and a CompM4s. PROs are on my Tavor and 5.56mm AR (Spikes with AA piston, installed by Spikes). The CompM4s is on my D/I .45 AR (the PROs have those bumpers on them, so a little more protection on hard use rifles). I also have an Aimpoint 3x magnifier, which I can mount behind all three (even though it wouldn’t be regularly used on the .45 AR, do get a more accurate zero with it).

I like having the magnifier, but it isn’t something regularly on my rifles (it is stored in the safe on my AR, though). If I know that I might be extending the range of my carbine out a little more than normal, I’ll toss it on. I personally don’t like magnification on my carbines. I rather get into an 18” AR before doing an actual scope (which I don’t call a carbine... my 18” AR has a 1.5-6x).

In ten years, when my eyes start getting worse (corrected pretty well, now), I’ll reconsider... but no issues non-magnified with carbines (within 200 yards). I am not a fan of the micro red dots. Prefer the larger tube diameter.
    Last edited by Screwball; 08-24-2018 at 04:31 PM.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I set out to build the lightest carbine I could and have an MRO on it. I gotta admit I like it, although I haven't beat the heck out of it either. It does what it's supposed to, can't complain. And I've not noticed any distortion, maybe I got lucky.

Mission drives the gear, I like ACOG for all purpose (although I've not owned one, just shot plenty) and Aimpoint for dedicated red dot.

No votes for Eotech?

Site Supporter
    As between tritium and battery, I will take battery powered. Replacing a battery is quick and easy. Occasional use of a ZTS tester ensures that the battery will work when needed. Tritium will eventually need to be sent away for multiple weeks for replacement when it gets dim.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

I’ll hit the poll from a computer later, but optics is one of the few categories that I vary widely. I have three serious use ARs, and they all have completely different optics. My dedicated HD gun is also my wife’s primary AR gun, so I want it light, reliable, and always ready. It started with a T-1 but that was garbage with a magnifier so it now wears a T-2 on a Scalarworks mount. Biggest downside for me is that I don’t find the dot that bright, and I have to keep it at a lower setting than I’d prefer just to get the battery to last a year. Kind of a bummer for a $700+ red dot that’s all about magical battery life, but it serves the purpose better than anything else out there.

My primary gun has more capability, at the cost of additional weight. Right now it has a P4Xi in a Geissele mount. The Steiner has worked great and I’ve been very pleased with it, but like the member above, it was a test bed for me to see how I like the LPVO. It will be replaced by a Razor when I have the spending money for one. I wouldn’t be surprised if that combo becomes my undisputed favorite.

Currently though, my favorite is still the EXPS-3. I absolutely love the EOTech reticle, it’s the only one that is plenty bright between the two mentioned above and an RM06, and the EXPS never gave me an issue. Plus, it’s got a good balance between weight, capability (speed, brightness, durability, parallax, compatibility with magnifier, ease of use with NODs, etc), and price. Obviously it can’t stay constant on for 6-12 months but if it could, I doubt that I’d own a single Aimpoint. I’m willing to look past the other issues because of all of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List