View Poll Results: What's your choice for carbine optic?

Voters
160. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aimpoint

103 64.38%
  • Eotech

4 2.50%
  • ACOG

5 3.13%
  • LPV

48 30.00%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Carbine Optics Poll

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    How about "anything but a POS Eotech"

While I overseas I personally saw so many Eotechs fail I will only recommend them to the enemy.

I run a Aimpoint PRO on my 10.5" gun that I use for work. It is primarily used around vehicles, and such rarely anything static in nature so it makes sense for the role.

Additionally, have an older TAO1 with the original crosshair reticle (still like it best, especially for hitting at extended ranges) on my lightweight all around 16" Colt carbine. These did not come with mounts, so I had one custom built to mount an RDO. It is a very practical setup.

Overseas I ran an illuminated Leupold 1.5-5 with covered turrets and considered it to be about ideal during that time.

These days if I was in the market for an all around optic for a RECCE type rifle, I would buy a low powered variable in the 2.5-10 range (MIL/MIL reticle and turrets) and add an RDO on top. More likely than not a Nightforce 2.5-10.

Buy once, cry once. Be done.
    Name:  20180901_224017.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  66.9 KB

Word.

My Friend,

You suck!

Seriously though, that is perfect.

Grin..

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I really like the A2 irons.

The 600 yard plate and various rocks farther out are still in trouble.
    I like shooting irons too but I also have an Aimpoint Pro. Last time I tried to shoot irons out to 300m the steel target I was shooting at was invisible to my eyes. Now my eyes aren't what they used to be but they aren't that bad. By the time I got to shoot the stage the paint had been beaten off of it. Yet other guys after me were able to see and make hits. So after the match I changed from my regular ballistic spec shooting glasses [Smith Ignitor lenses] back to my Oakley driving glasses and lo and behold, I could see the target again!

Sorry for the thread drift but do you use the standard A2 front sight post?

Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post

Sorry for the thread drift but do you use the standard A2 front sight post?
    Yes, standard sight parts so far. I think there are some match sight posts that are thinner, and may be worthwhile for longer distance irons shooting, but its been a long while since I looked into it and didnt end up changing anything so long as I could muddle along with the regular parts. I also havent been shooting much the past few years, I may feel different when I get more active.

I keep an AR for HD and really can't fathom any situation that would require taking a shot at anything over 50 yards or so.

I have an Aimpoint Comp M5 on a lower 1/3 QD mount with Daniel Defense irons. I like being able to pop the optic off if it fogs up, gets dirty, or is raining.

I was shooting the irons yesterday and I can tell I'm closer to 40 now, vs the closer to 20 I was when I started shooting these things. I don't know what I'll do if I get to where I can't shoot an Aimpoint anymore. I really dislike LPVs at close range.

@M2CattleCo I was all Aimpoint until I started having the similar vision challenges. My vision isn't "bad", and still don't wear corrective vision (I do enjoy .25 readers) but it's certainly not what it was in my 20's or even 30's. After crossing into my 40's, the slow decline has been noticeable, and drove me (along with a pre-existing astigmatism) to go LPV. Frankly, I despise the added weight, but the clarity of a Razor Gen II-E is on a whole different level, even on 1x. To me, the juice is worth the squeeze at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    @M2CattleCo I was all Aimpoint until I started having the similar vision challenges. My vision isn't "bad", and still don't wear corrective vision (I do enjoy .25 readers) but it's certainly not what it was in my 20's or even 30's. After crossing into my 40's, the slow decline has been noticeable, and drove me (along with a pre-existing astigmatism) to go LPV. Frankly, I despise the added weight, but the clarity of a Razor Gen II-E is on a whole different level, even on 1x. To me, the juice is worth the squeeze at this point.

I took my Aimpoint off when the dot started looking like a fuzzy delta and the irons where OK. But since removing my Aimpoint I got my eyes examined and a new prescription. So on a whim I fired up the unused Aimpoint and viola! The dot is back to being a slightly fuzzy dot! So back on it goes... Nice to have both options again, the Aimpoint and the Daniel Defense A1 rear.
    Last edited by 1986s4; 09-15-2018 at 12:12 PM.

I've used LPVs in the past, Nightforce 1-4s, and recently an ATACR 1-8. On 1X the dot blooms horribly and I get a double image trying to shoot it on 1X. It's better during the day, but the majority of my training is at night.

Site Supporter
    I use H2 or T2 Aimpoints only because magnified optics are "only for SWAT snipers" in my department. While I have been carrying my own optic for quite some time regular patrol rifles have been issued the Aimpoint PRO optics.

If I were able to carry a magnified optic I would most likely carry a 1-4 or 1-6 vortex as I have liked those the best out of what I have shot and can afford.

EOTech

Despite all the controversy, did anyone catch that SOCOM has finally decided that the replacement for their defective EOTechs is going to be...new EOTechs, not any of the interim solutions (T2/M68 CCO).

http://soldiersystems.net/2018/09/29...eotech-sights/

User Tag List