Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The literary Police version of the Star Trek red shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaywalker View Post
    John Scalzi's "Redshirts?" Their solution was to send out the newbies into dangerous situations, somewhat like Vietnam infantry patrols. Just listen for ominous music, and never talk about your girlfriend back home.
    Love the stuff that Scalzi writes; especially the series of novels: Old Man's War, The Human Division and The End of All Things. Being a fan of classic sci-fi, his writing style is always just the ticket.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    Love the stuff that Scalzi writes; especially the series of novels: Old Man's War, The Human Division and The End of All Things. Being a fan of classic sci-fi, his writing style is always just the ticket.
    After the way he desecrated Little Fuzzy, he can kiss my ass.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Last night I watched (recorded) the finale of Law and Order, SVU. I have noted, if not here, that this show of the worst portrayals of police shooting tactics I have ever seen. Even my nonshooting wife has said at times, OH for God's Sake at their gun antics. However, we like some of the stories (who knows why).

Anyway in this cluster, there is a young undocmented lady testifying against a trafficker. In the course, of the events, she brains a trafficker with a lamp (among other violence), killing him. His brother vows revenge. She is tried but being protected from cartel revenge. So the brother goes to the DA and says to dismiss charges against her, so they can take their own revenge on her. The DA pontificates that he is a DA! Brother says that they will kill his sister.

Ah Ha! The sister is mentally ill and in a hospital, outside of NYC. The DA calls the local small town police who say they will post a car in front of the hospital.

Surprise, guess who is found sitting his car with a bullet hole in his forehead. The sister is gone.

I'll spare you the idiocy of the gun fight to save the sister which causes her to get killed anyway by the hostage taking cartel member.

A couple of weeks before, another hostage taking situation and ESU opened up a house full of hostage kids with about 20 full auto guns and a few Glocks as if it was the precursor bombardment of Omaha Beach. Guess, what the prime hostage that started the incident takes a 9 mm from the SVU officer who was trying to save her. She was blazing away nito a window. The cop fire was because two cops went on the roof of a house that was know to have ARs to peek down the chimney. The Waco-oid blasted them through the roof and started the barrage fire.

So don't watch this, yeah I know.

But the main point, is don't wear a red shirt. Don't protect someone from a gang of trained assassins by sitting your car out front!

That show has all the realism.

Name:  BAD97B55-8F9A-4671-9FFE-667F9B6876AD.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  56.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    ...finale of Law and Order, SVU. ...
    If you mean they're never going to defile the airwaves with new episodes of that dreck, then I celebrate!
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Does the police academy train you to put down your gun in every hostage situation?

I apologize for even mentioning this show, my focus was a 'red shirt' incident.

I don't see why the NY ESU doesn't picket every on scene filming.

It will be back next year.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I read one of the Jack Reacher books on accident and have spent the rest of forever trying to bleach it out of my brain.
    In one of the earlier Jack Reacher books, the cops had no trouble getting Reacher's fingerprints off a magazine after the gun had been sitting in the desert sun for a couple of weeks.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UnoZero View Post
    Kindle Unlimited is full of some obscure gems to be found among the turds. I use it for a light weekend read sometimes. In one unexceptional book, a minor character’s backstory was she had been abused and took up self defense and firearms training. Commendable, but I don’t think the author had done either one himself; this was confirmed when the character is badgered into Joining The Cause and shows up with an Uzi with a “four hundred round clip”.
    I can’t for the life of me remember the name of this book or the author, but I actually do remember the 400 round clip Uzi, because you just don’t forget something that amazing. I believe this book also had time traveling Gestapo hit men.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Tag List