Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The literary Police version of the Star Trek red shirt.

Site Supporter

The literary Police version of the Star Trek red shirt.

Of course, we know that the red shirt exists to die!

However, reading police procedural novels I notice the police version. It is the poor schmucks in the patrol car that are sent to the potential victim of the Hannibal Lecter level super psychopath killer. In the book I just read, the super killer cleverly escapes from the court room (pulls the fire alarm) and runs away. A groupie gives him some escape crap as he runs out.

Anyway, it is clear that he is going to seek revenge on some people. So the FBI is in hot pursuit. Do they call the local office to get the victims and just move them (no - let's wait till our Behavioral team gets into town). Does the local law get the victim and move them - NO. They say they will drive by every once in awhile. Or they will park a car with some unattentive Barney Fife's outside the house.

The local law is DEAD - through some clever ploy like walking up to them with a donut.

The behavioral team arrives in the nick of time. Of course, the first agents in are dispatched, leaving our super agent to engage in a life and death struggle (can't shoot the dude as the Glock 19m was dropped in the mud) and won't fire.

BTW, the victim stays put like a tethered goat and falls for a ploy to get into the house. This time the super villain said HE was the behavioral team agents.

The donut eating red shirt / policer in front of the car - it's in a lot of books. If you were going to protect something, is that the way to do? I'd beam them up.

John Scalzi's "Redshirts?" Their solution was to send out the newbies into dangerous situations, somewhat like Vietnam infantry patrols. Just listen for ominous music, and never talk about your girlfriend back home.

Glenn, I think I just read that book. Or one just like it. If the characters don't do stupid stuff then the book is dull, but I yell at them anyway.

I read one the other day where a character drew a 40 caliber revolver. Ah, I said. A S&W model 646. LOL

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I mutter "I'm too old for this shit" at least once a day and *never* mention how close to retirement I am. If you have a catchphrase, you might not be the main character but you're definitely less likely to die.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Bill, you got it. I saw the 40 cal revolver also. I don't think it was a rare gun, rather just a little knowledge improperly used.

I read a vampire book where the Federal vampire agent carried a 10 mm Beretta. I got all excited till I thought that in an alternate universe with vampires, there just might be a 10 mm Beretta.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I mutter "I'm too old for this shit" at least once a day and *never* mention how close to retirement I am. If you have a catchphrase, you might not be the main character but you're definitely less likely to die.
    I see what you did there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I also assume you look exactly like your avatar.

Police novels/shows/movies/anything are usually painfully bad. I can't do em.
    Last edited by Peally; 08-23-2018 at 09:21 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I read a vampire book where the Federal vampire agent carried a 10 mm Beretta. I got all excited till I thought that in an alternate universe with vampires, there just might be a 10 mm Beretta.
    He must have been in Tom Clancy's special Tier Zero Rainbow Squad. They're issued 10mm Berettas.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I also assume you look exactly like your avatar.
    Can confirm.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List