Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Releasing the shot when using a red dot

Releasing the shot when using a red dot

Old guy, bad eyes, finding accuracy is much better with red dot (compared to irons) at distances beyond 10 yards or so. Question relates to speed of releasing the shot. I am improving (but with considerably more room for improvement) getting the dot on target relative to using irons. However, I believe I am slower actually releasing the shot using the dot. I'm talking about closer-in distances, say 10 yards or less. At longer distances, I think I’m quicker, relatively, at least when compared to the same shot distance using irons

My pea brain seems to think "OK, the dot is on the target, now press the trigger." And then I do, but I “feel” (have no data) as if there’s a lot of time wasted between being on target and releasing the shot.

I think I’ve done all I can to have the trigger ready to release (using a stock M&P 2.0c with RMR, intended for carry) as I come onto the target. . Wondering if I’m aiming too tight (taking head shot time when I have body shot “room”). Or what . . .

Would greatly welcome any suggestions on shortening the time between seeing and pressing?

Thanks!

You have to get used to accepting the wobble. Also develop a feel for what is a good enough sight picture for the size & distance of the target.

Thanks for starting this thread, as judging by email messages and PM’s I have received, there is a lot of interest in this topic. I did some filming today, and have thoughts on presenting the red dot pistol quickly, that I will post later.

On your specific question, you may be trying to make the dot settle as opposed to breaking the shot as soon as the dot is moving within the acceptable target area. As an example, today I did a number of draws from seven yards to a partial target, and was making a first round hit in the .60’s.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    On your specific question, you may be trying to make the dot settle as opposed to breaking the shot as soon as the dot is moving within the acceptable target area. As an example, today I did a number of draws from seven yards to a partial target, and was making a first round hit in the .60’s.
    That's got to be a big part of it. I keep trying to shoot bullseyes, when with an iron-sighted pistol, I'm OK with putting the shots into, e.g., an 8-in circle. I'm thinking maybe using more "plain" targets (steel, or the corrugated brown silhouettes with perforated markings) and accepting the central area as adequate.

Thanks!!

Site Supporter
    I'm still working hard to get better, but one of the "truths" that is preached by Ron Avery (and others) is "see what you need to see." Using a red dot, you will find that it will never stop moving. I mean, it can, but it will cost you way too much time. I was drawing to 2x4 head shots this morning and as soon as the dot was in the rectangle, I pressed. 10 out of 10. (But not GJM times. )

Realizing this is slightly different from you since I am concentrating on the first shot (in DA) w/ my Beretta 92s it may still be relevant. For me it all depends on bullseye size and/or distance. This winter I started practicing in the basement w/ a CO2 BB gun that is a really good replica of my usual 92. I shoot at 20 ft at a 3 inch bullseye sticker stuck on a 9 inch paper plate. If all I want to do is hit the plate I can blast a shot in what for me is a quick 1.5-1.6 seconds. Be nice guys.... If I want to be sure to hit the 3 inch sticker, I have to slow down and I work to stay under 2.0 seconds. I try to keep the beeper to gun on target time the same time in both, but to hit the 3 inch, I slow down the trigger pull to give more time to refining the sight picture. The good thing is that doing a lot of this inexpensive practice has definitely helped. WHen I started last fall, it was a real struggle to hit the 3 inch in under 2.5 sec. Now the slightly under 2 sec are a lot more common and the misses are a lot closer. BTW a smart phone app called 'Splits' works really well as long as you have a table or stool to set the phone on.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by flyrodr View Post
    Old guy, bad eyes, finding accuracy is much better with red dot (compared to irons) at distances beyond 10 yards or so. Question relates to speed of releasing the shot. I am improving (but with considerably more room for improvement) getting the dot on target relative to using irons. However, I believe I am slower actually releasing the shot using the dot. I'm talking about closer-in distances, say 10 yards or less. At longer distances, I think I’m quicker, relatively, at least when compared to the same shot distance using irons

My pea brain seems to think "OK, the dot is on the target, now press the trigger." And then I do, but I “feel” (have no data) as if there’s a lot of time wasted between being on target and releasing the shot.

I think I’ve done all I can to have the trigger ready to release (using a stock M&P 2.0c with RMR, intended for carry) as I come onto the target. . Wondering if I’m aiming too tight (taking head shot time when I have body shot “room”). Or what . . .

Would greatly welcome any suggestions on shortening the time between seeing and pressing?

Thanks!

Here's your Zen Moment.... Be One With The Wobble...... A Dot will seem like it's dancing around the target when it really isn't. As others have said, once it's where it needs to be, press the trigger.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    Here's your Zen Moment.... Be One With The Wobble...... A Dot will seem like it's dancing around the target when it really isn't. As others have said, once it's where it needs to be, press the trigger.
    I would agree with this but add, that I do my best shooting by pressing the trigger while the dot is in motion to the target, so that the shot breaks as the dot reaches the acceptable scoring zone of the target. Slightly different than allowing the dot to dance around the target, then initiating the press. This is something I filmed yesterday that illustrates this.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

This thread needs to be referenced on this very topic.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ghts-in-motion
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

This sounds a lot like "target panic" in the archery field if I am understanding correctly.

Could you try shooting a "negative target"? Cut the "A" zone out of the target and break the shot as soon as you see daylight. It would be worth a try.

Or repeat a coaching point that you are shooting into an area and not at a single point.

User Tag List