Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions on USPSA/IDPA matches for LE

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I used to shoot IDPA, and haven't shot any other recognized competition. I understand the benefits and am not particularly skeptical. I just don't value it enough to prioritize it over all the other things I have to do or want to do. It's a long drive for me, there's only a 1/3 chance I'm off work for any given match, and time I'm at a match is time I'm not doing something else.

I guess I might fit in the apathetic group.
    I don’t really blame people for that. In a perfect world, would I want every street cop to be at least an Expert class IDPA shooter, have attended two or three good gun schools, taken three or four good driving courses, and be well trained in TCCC? Yeah, that would be dope.

It’s also super unrealistic for me to ask that of people who also have wives, kids, hobbies, and lives outside of the uniform. If a cop tells me he doesn’t want to shoot a match because it’s a 90 minute drive on the one weekend he gets off a month and he’d rather spend that time asleep or trying scotch or going to the farmer’s market with his girlfriend, the fuck am I going to object to? “No fuck you, you don’t get to have a life as a normal human being, every moment must be about the uniform.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Respectfully, did you mean inefficient ?

That's my main beef with competition. My local IDPA group is incredibly slow, and the core group spend a ton of time joking around and goofing off before and during the match. I get it, its their match, their rules, and their culture, but it burns up unnecessary time on a weekend. For that reason I find myself training solo more often.
    The inefficiency and lack of leadership in most local clubs is unnerving. The national organizations have no control over this issue. Showing up at a local match, paying cash to participate, and getting exactly what is described above kills it for me. As for getting involved to improve things, I spent several years doing so, including being a board member, and nothing improved. I was told instead to go away because I complained too much.

"If you don't like it, you can leave." That sort of thing.

I will still attend a couple of times a year, but no one can tell me anymore it matters when so much time is wasted trying to participate. Instead, take a class, learn to practice on your own more effectively, perhaps find a like-minded friend or two who is a fellow traveler in the art of the pistol. Lose the noise, the distractions, and the uncooperative attitudes. Keep smiling.
    Last edited by TNK; 08-29-2018 at 01:31 PM.

Often people do not have the option to practice shooting while moving etc. That these competitions also provide.

Site Supporter
    I guess ZincW and I are lucky as our IDPA matches are efficient and collegial. Our match director, Mike Webb recently won an award as best director. The other club near me, Bandera, also works well.

A third club in the area fell apart due to new officers who thought they were kings of the universe, causing a mass migration to the two above.

Shoot a USPSA section/area/competent local match. Shit should move along if it's a decent one, the last couple years the WI section match has been out at around 2 or 3PM after ~10 stages + lunch.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I guess ZincW and I are lucky as our IDPA matches are efficient and collegial. Our match director, Mike Webb recently won an award as best director. The other club near me, Bandera, also works well.

A third club in the area fell apart due to new officers who thought they were kings of the universe, causing a mass migration to the two above.
    Up in Austin, Mike's matches tend to end by 1.00pm. faster if we start smelling barbeque, slower if cattle wander through ...

We have members of APD and TCSO frequently shooting, especially the carbine matches.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Often people do not have the option to practice shooting while moving etc. That these competitions also provide.
    Range limitations are a thing, particularly indoor ranges. At least my range permits drawing from the holster and rapid fire, but there are plenty that do not. Multiple targets, shooting on the move, and (much) positional shooting are simply impossible to practice on an indoor range outside of special events.

I am jealous of those who can set up complex stages at their practice range. I can't even set up a simple 'El Presidente' at my regular practice range.

IDPA/USPSA provides me a valuable opportunity to get out of the range booth.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by TNK View Post
    The inefficiency and lack of leadership in most local clubs is unnerving.
    IDPA adding PCC for everyone seems to help. It goes down easier when I shoot two guns instead of just one.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    IDPA adding PCC for everyone seems to help. It goes down easier when I shoot two guns instead of just one.

While it's nice to be able to shoot both guns for the individual doing so, it also compounds the efficiency problem from a match/stage management perspective; effectively adding two shooters and taking away a helper because of their inability (or less ability) to paste, reset, help with running the tablet, etc... It's a real factor. Our local clubs (x3) are pretty close to limiting shooters to only one gun.

Site Supporter
    In the 100 degree days, the two gun shooter is not the most popular shooter. Nor is the stage designer who comes up with a long complicated stage to re-set or run. Let's just shoot em up and get out of the heat.

User Tag List