Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bottleneck 9mm

Don't take this as official word from HK or anything. But in my own experience the stepped chamber is fantastic for both accuracy and reliability. Since I started shooting VP9's, I've stopped case gauging my ammo, even for major matches. There just isn't a point in the wasted time for me anymore. With the stepped chamber, they will feed even significantly out of spec reloads, and each of them is capable of sub 2" groups at 25 yards when I don't suck.
    TY83544

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    I was always told it was to assist with extraction if the actual extractor was broken. Maybe that was an old wives tale though.
    Sounds like someone is conflating stepped chambers with fluted chambers....in which case it's absolutely true. Fluted chambers have an effect of floating the cartridge, which is necessary for guns that open too soon. They were standard on HK roller-delayed rifles, as well as the HK P7.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Sounds like someone is conflating stepped chambers with fluted chambers....in which case it's absolutely true. Fluted chambers have an effect of floating the cartridge, which is necessary for guns that open too soon. They were standard on HK roller-delayed rifles, as well as the HK P7.
    Fluted chambers are famous for leaving streaks of soot on the fired brass, and the brass is quite recognizably marked. I did learn that at least one P7M8 will function just fine without an extractor as one of my did so.

User Tag List