Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Another Grail Gun Model 64 NY-1

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    The original NY-1 was a run of model 64 S&Ws (and one variation of model 60 Jframe) produced to NYPD spec: bead blast, DAO. Not to be confused with a Glock trigger spring.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...ny1-revolvers/

They also had the same basic spec produced by Ruger on the security six, GP 100 (GPNY), and SP101 (SPNY).

And, period holsters are probably a bad idea, for the OP:

Not being a Ruger guy, about seven years + ago I helped broker the sale of a very good condition 4” GPNY between a detective in my squad and a PO in our precinct. The detective had carried the GPNY while he was a NYC Housing cop.
    That same PO (now a sergeant) contacted me the other day saying he was looking to sell some pistols. Guess what I bought? I figured I’d add it to my NYPD and SCPD collection.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by Det1397 View Post
    Not being a Ruger guy, about seven years + ago I helped broker the sale of a very good condition 4” GPNY between a detective in my squad and a PO in our precinct. The detective had carried the GPNY while he was a NYC Housing cop.
    That same PO (now a sergeant) contacted me the other day saying he was looking to sell some pistols. Guess what I bought? I figured I’d add it to my NYPD and SCPD collection.
    I’ve owned 2 GPNYs. Very cool guns, but heavy and big for .38 spec only.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    I’ve owned 2 GPNYs. Very cool guns, but heavy and big for .38 spec only.
    … which undoubtedly makes them creampuffs to shoot.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    … which undoubtedly makes them creampuffs to shoot.
    Oh yes. I remember particularly liking the way that Buffalo Bore’s hot version of the FBI load rolled into the compact grips that come on the GPNY. Aside from it being a boat anchor, it was a perfect shooting gun.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by tanner View Post
    Like this one? Just brought it home! It was shipped from the factory while I was in the police academy back in '93. Very excited to own this little piece of history.

Gotta find a better set of grips for it, and maybe some nice leather. This is probably as close to a BBQ gun as I'll probably ever own.

Attachment 32790

Attachment 32791

Attachment 32792

“…matt finish…”

Quote Originally Posted by stinx View Post
    Today I had some time to kill so I decided to stop buy my local shop just look around. As soon as I got there I spotted a gun I have been looking to buy since the mid 90's. A model 64 NY-1 in what appears to me to be great shape. I didn't even haggle I just whipped out the plastic. I am curious as to what was the duty load that NYPD used for these? I am assuming thats what the sight are regulated for. Any idea where I could get a holster for this, preferably something period correct. Any help or information is greatly appreciated.
    Nice pick-up! It’s not period-correct but I can definitely vouch for the Kramer scabbard. Thumb breaks are impractical on these DAOs but the thin, stiff horsehide of the Kramer retains the gun very well and essentially lasts forever. I have a Kramer IWB #3 for a G19 that has seen regular use since I bought it in 1998 and it is in as good condition now as the day I bought it.

I love my 64-5. It’s not NY-1 cool, but I do love it. I would like to have it bead blasted.

Name:  411682B0-4A41-4084-9467-DB2313445755.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  57.3 KB

Name:  4312655C-3225-4A0D-A1DC-89B7CC53DFEB.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  99.4 KB

Name:  6EFB04ED-80BE-4C40-8812-5EAED9D325B8.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  67.2 KB

Here’s a chance at one of the tough ones to get! https://www.gunbroker.com/item/969622500

User Tag List