Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Grail Gun Model 64 NY-1

These have always struck me as the ideal fighting revolver.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    The original NY-1 was a run of model 64 S&Ws (and one variation of model 60 Jframe) produced to NYPD spec: bead blast, DAO. Not to be confused with a Glock trigger spring.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...ny1-revolvers/

They also had the same basic spec produced by Ruger on the security six, GP 100 (GPNY), and SP101 (SPNY).

And, period holsters are probably a bad idea, for the OP:

There's been plenty of post on the SW Forum over there years... Here's a couple to get you interested!!! I HAD (Really, HAD) a Model 60 NY-1 and I currently have a 2" Model 64 NY-1, which makes one incredible fighting revolver!

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-rev...generally.html

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-rev...nypd-guns.html

Quote Originally Posted by Det1397 View Post
    There's been plenty of post on the SW Forum over there years... Here's a couple to get you interested!!! I HAD (Really, HAD) a Model 60 NY-1 and I currently have a 2" Model 64 NY-1, which makes one incredible fighting revolver!
    Dude, my holy grail is a 3" NY-1. I watched a minty one go to 9 bills on gunbroker last year. In retrospect, I should have just bought it, whatever it went to. Probably wouldn’t have gone much beyond Dan Wesson Vigil money. I have the ghost of all those cheap LE trade-ins that I bought running around my head, skewing my perspective with 1995 dollars. Hell, I paid 750 for a Kimber wheelie, for Pete’s sake. Looking back, 9 bills is no serious issue.

As an aside, I’ve owned 3 NY-1 K frames, 2 GPNYs and a killer SPNY that I only let go because I sold it to a buddy who owns another forum I read.

I could become an addict.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I could become an addict.
    Could become?

You're still an addict whether or not you're currently managing your addiction.

For life.

Getting past denial is the first step.

Friends of Darryl B
    meets every Wednesday. We have cookies.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

Friends of Darryl B
    meets every Wednesday. We have cookies.
    Make it barbecue, and I’m in.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I stopped by one of our Detective Squads today where I knew at least one of the guys had an NY-1 locked away- here you go, a 4” Round Butt with an original Cobra Gunskin IWB holster that was made specially for the NY-1!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Det1397; 09-18-2018 at 10:09 PM.

...My grail is the 3" round butt version.
    Like this one? Just brought it home! It was shipped from the factory while I was in the police academy back in '93. Very excited to own this little piece of history.

Gotta find a better set of grips for it, and maybe some nice leather. This is probably as close to a BBQ gun as I'll probably ever own.

Name:  IMG_2103.jpg
Views: 2781
Size:  101.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2104.jpg
Views: 2011
Size:  100.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2105.jpg
Views: 1089
Size:  47.9 KB
    Last edited by tanner; 11-27-2018 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tanner View Post
    Like this one? Just brought it home! It was shipped from the factory while I was in the police academy back in '93. Very excited to own this little piece of history.

Gotta find a better set of grips for it, and maybe some nice leather. This is probably as close to a BBQ gun as I'll probably ever own.

Name:  IMG_2103.jpg
Views: 2781
Size:  101.8 KB
    You're killing me, smalls!

Yeah, just like that. If you find another in that shape, buy it, and I'll buy it from you. And NY-2? Never heard of that! So far as I knew, all those bead-blast DAO K-frames made for the NYPD were marked NY-1. Does it say NY-2 on the frame inside the crane?

You're killing me, smalls!

Yeah, just like that. If you find another in that shape, buy it, and I'll buy it from you. And NY-2? Never heard of that! So far as I knew, all those bead-blast DAO K-frames made for the NYPD were marked NY-1. Does it say NY-2 on the frame inside the crane?
    No sir. Model 64 (no dash). Stamped NY-1.

Not sure why the letter says that.

Background story... So just to be a bit of a smartass, I did my LEOSA qualification last month with my 4 inch Model 66-1. One of the old timers chuckled and said that he regretted selling his 3 inch Model 65 from back in the day (duh). So of course I immediately go home and start looking at Gunbroker.

I was watching an auction of a very clean specimen and got interested. I watched sadly as it steadily climbed and sold for like $1,350. Too rich for my blood. But at the same time, this little jewel popped up.

Only one other bidder, thought for a minute I might steal it for $725, but then another guy drove me up to $850. Happy to get it there. I was drunk with lust at that point, probably would have gone a bit higher.

And now I own a Model 640-1, this Model 64 and a Model 66-1.

Glaring hole where the 3 inch Model 65 should be. Sigh... Once my savings recovers from this venture, I'll hit the interwebs again I guess!

User Tag List