Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Grail Gun Model 64 NY-1

Nice find! And that finish looks so much better than the standard stainless finish.

Site Supporter
    The NYPD Duty load for revolvers from the mid 1970's through at least the mid 1990's when they transitioned to autos was a 158 grain lead semi wadcutter (solid) loaded to +p pressure and velocity.

Stainless steel revolvers and speed loaders were adopted in the 1980s slowly replacing blued revolvers and the previously issued dump pouches for spare ammunition.

The Jay Pee holster was adopted nearly 100 years ago. It had a covered trigger guard used a thick lip of leather to catch the edge of the cylinder for retention. It, and it's loose belt were deliberately chosen in an era when even uniformed officers still wore their guns semi concealed, at least in the winter. Draw was done by placing your thumb between the gun and the lip and twisting. It was chosen for retention over speed of draw. The old NYPD guys who schooled me advised you should strive to see trouble coming and if in doubt, have your gun in hand.

Name:  JP holster.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  7.3 KB

Name:  JP w revolver.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  7.1 KB

Compared to it's contemporaries, the suicide strap border patrol holster and the clamshell, it was not a bad choice in its day, especially for the crowded conditions of NYC.

Many of its contemporaries required you to put your finger in the trigger guard and push a button or disengage a spring steel clip, the "serpa" of their day. Context matters.

The loose skinny belt, from an era of minimal equipment, also allowed many to rotate the gun up front to 1' o'clock in an "appendix" position. This was particularly useful sitting in vehicles. Yes, this was a thing long before the internet.

The pen and pencil holder versions of the Jay Pee were sorry, as were the swivel versions. Later versions of the Jay Pee were reinforced with two rivets at the rear and were made with better, thicker leather.

Name:  JP 2 rivets.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  6.4 KB

For better insight into the Jay Pee holster and it's use check out this thread by the late Pat Rogers on Lightfighter.

https://www.lightfighter.net/topic/o...-nypd-holsters
    Last edited by HCM; 08-23-2018 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The NYPD Duty load for revolvers from the mid 1970's through at least the mid 1990's when they transitioned to autos was a 158 grain lead semi wadcutter (solid) loaded to +p pressure and velocity.

Stainless steel revolvers and speed loaders were adopted in the 1980s slowly replacing blued revolvers and the previously issued dump pouches for spare ammunition.

The Jay Pee holster was adopted nearly 100 years ago. It had a covered trigger guard used a thick lip of leather to catch the edge of the cylinder for retention. It, and it's loose belt were deliberately chosen in an era when even uniformed officers still wore their guns semi concealed, at least in the winter. Draw was done by placing your thumb between the gun and the lip and twisting. It was chosen for retention over speed of draw. The old NYPD guys who schooled me advised you should strive to see trouble coming and if in doubt, have your gun in hand.

Name:  JP holster.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  7.3 KB

Name:  JP w revolver.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  7.1 KB

Compared to it's contemporaries, the suicide strap border patrol holster and the clamshell, it was not a bad choice in its day, especially for the crowded conditions of NYC.

Many of its contemporaries required you to put your finger in the trigger guard and push a button or disengage a spring steel clip, the "serpa" of their day. Context matters.

The loose skinny belt, from an era of minimal equipment, also allowed many to rotate the gun up front to 1' o'clock in an "appendix" position. This was particularly useful sitting in vehicles. Yes, this was a thing long before the internet.

The pen and pencil holder versions of the Jay Pee were sorry, as were the swivel versions. Later versions of the Jay Pee were reinforced with two rivets at the rear and were made with better, thicker leather.

Name:  JP 2 rivets.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  6.4 KB

For better insight into the Jay Pee holster and it's use check out this thread by the late Pat Rogers on Lightfighter.

https://www.lightfighter.net/topic/o...-nypd-holsters
    One helluva post!

Those HB K frame .38s are just cool. Great find OP!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosco Benson View Post
    Some of the Jay-Pee holsters had pouches stitched to the holster body for a pen and pencil set. No kidding.

Rosco
    Some had loops for extra rounds as well. Those are pretty old school and were prohibited back in the 1970's.

I stumbled across a 2” 64 NY-1 several years ago at a LGS. I have to say that it’s easily one of my favorite shooters. The DAO trigger action is a bit heavy, but smooth as silk. I also had(!) a Model 60 NY-1, but traded it off for what must have been a good reason at the time...
    And FWIW, a couple of guys on my job are former NYPD, and still have their 4” NY-1s. One is a SB, the other is a RB. I’m trying to coax one of them to sell...

Site Supporter
    I still regret not buying a three inch 64 NY-1 at a LGS back in 88? I passed because it was a 38 special. Young and dumb ryhme because it’s to often true

What was the holster officers would use to carry the model 64DAO guns off duty?

This is what I use to carry my Model 64:

http://www.c-rusty.com/pages/holster...e/revvert.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stinx View Post
    What was the holster officers would use to carry the model 64DAO guns off duty?
    My guess, and not necessarily an educated guess, would be a Desantis Speed Scabbard (w/o thumb break) or something “semi-custom” from the old Cobra Gunskin when John Parlante was making holsters in his Farmingdale NY shop...
    But, keep in mind, NY cops, including NYPD MOS, are traditionally cheap skates (no offense intended brothers!), so any fly by night leather holster maker back in the day could have made out like a bandit....
    Last edited by Det1397; 08-23-2018 at 04:54 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    This is what I use to carry my Model 64:

http://www.c-rusty.com/pages/holster...e/revvert.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And I've got one of these for my 4" M10-8. He does good work!

User Tag List