Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Grail Gun Model 64 NY-1

Another Grail Gun Model 64 NY-1

Today I had some time to kill so I decided to stop buy my local shop just look around. As soon as I got there I spotted a gun I have been looking to buy since the mid 90's. A model 64 NY-1 in what appears to me to be great shape. I didn't even haggle I just whipped out the plastic. I am curious as to what was the duty load that NYPD used for these? I am assuming thats what the sight are regulated for. Any idea where I could get a holster for this, preferably something period correct. Any help or information is greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by stinx; 08-22-2018 at 05:26 PM.

I have one, and have had others. The NY-1 of that era is regulated for 158 grain bullets. Any "FBI" loading will hit to POA like the sights were glued to your eyeballs.

Later "Brinks" guns were regulated to 125 grainers (had one of those; loved it, except for the POA/POI discrepancy between it and every other .38/.357in my safe...)

Period holster would be some sort of lame, historical OWB that makes the butt stick out like an erection in a tulip patch. Just get a good leather IWB, like a Sparks SS, and carry on.

Congrats on the score! My grail is the 3" round butt version.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I thought the NY-1 meant it came with a heavier trigger pull. Not necessarily that it was a NYPD issued gun.

Looks very nice either way.

My standard barrel m64 shoots 158 perfect fmj like a target load

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I thought the NY-1 meant it came with a heavier trigger pull. Not necessarily that it was a NYPD issued gun.

Looks very nice either way.

My standard barrel m64 shoots 158 perfect fmj like a target load
    The original NY-1 was a run of model 64 S&Ws (and one variation of model 60 Jframe) produced to NYPD spec: bead blast, DAO. Not to be confused with a Glock trigger spring.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...ny1-revolvers/

They also had the same basic spec produced by Ruger on the security six, GP 100 (GPNY), and SP101 (SPNY).

And, period holsters are probably a bad idea, for the OP:

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

That bead blast finish looks so much better than most stainless....

Nice find!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    The original NY-1 was a run of model 64 S&Ws (and one variation of model 60 Jframe) produced to NYPD spec: bead blast, DAO. Not to be confused with a Glock trigger spring.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...ny1-revolvers/

They also had the same basic spec produced by Ruger on the security six, GP 100 (GPNY), and SP101 (SPNY).

And, period holsters are probably a bad idea, for the OP:

The NYPD duty holsters were made by a company called JayPee.

Mas Ayoob wrote that he'd once quipped to one of the NYPD firearms guys, "I guess you can skin a chicken, tan its hide, and make a holster out of it."
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Thanks all. As to a holster I would like a owb style preferably with a thumb break. Because thegun has no hammer spur this may not even be possible
    Last edited by stinx; 08-23-2018 at 04:14 AM.

Some of the Jay-Pee holsters had pouches stitched to the holster body for a pen and pencil set. No kidding.

Rosco

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosco Benson View Post
    Some of the Jay-Pee holsters had pouches stitched to the holster body for a pen and pencil set. No kidding.

Rosco
    I believe it was Lt. Frank McGee of NYPD that said that the average NYC cop would rather have a "nice Parker pen than a custom Smith and Wesson".

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Beautiful gun in great condition. Looks like it was fired almost never. Lucky find! Hope you enjoy it for years to come

User Tag List