Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Choke Choice For SD/HD Shotgun

A good, inexpensive way to mount a light is the G,G and G fore end for the 870. It has a piece of rail on the starboard side, and will accept a Surefire Scout or any of a number of lights in an inexpensive mount.

I really like the short Hogue stock. Here it is on an 870 with the G,G and G fore end with a Scout light:

In a condo situation, I can understand the concern with slugs, but in any event we own each of our slugs, pellets and even the wad -- the great thing about a shotgun is you can pick the load that meets your need best.

I'm really torn on the subject of slings. I've tried two-point carbine slings like the VCAS and I hate them on shotguns (though I rock a VCAS on all my carbines, and love them for that application). I find they get in way when I'm working the action. Single-points have their own issues, especially during transitions. So far I've been able to train around those issues, but I'm not truly satisfied with the setup. My 20-gauge has a basic two point carry strap on it, and I find that I like it most of all for pure shooting. The question is whether or not it serves the proper function of a modern sling, and I'm working on that, but I'm not there yet. Until I find something better, I'm using a Wilderness singlepoint sling on a GG&G receiver endplate on my HD 870.

I'm not crazy about slings on an HD shotgun, it seems to me to not fit the bill very well. It adds another step when arming or gives an oppurtunity to snag. For training, field use - sure, but a bump in the night gun - not so much. YMMV

I like a simple AR style carry sling on a defensive shotgun, especially in a HD setting. If I need to check something out, I can carry the shotgun muzzle down in African carry. This allows me to present the shotgun quickly, but carry it in a low profile, non-threatening manner. The last thing I want to do is encounter a law enforcement officer at night with a shotgun in my hands.

Good point.

I guess I really don't see my HD shotgun as an "extended engagement" tool - really more of a gather wife/child and barricade. Really, our HD shotgun is her shotgun on her side of the bed with the intention of getting to kiddos room and covering the door if the alarm goes off unexplicably in the middle of the night.

User Tag List