Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maximilian Scabbard by Christian Fletcher.

Maximilian Scabbard by Christian Fletcher.

Something a little different...…………..

About one year ago, I ordered a scabbard for my Albion Maximilian from Christian Fletcher. It arrived two days ago and I thought I'd share a few photos. The Maximilian is the only sword I own that didn't have a scabbard, or couldn't at least fit into a rifle case. This presented a problem if the sword needed to be transported. I've long wanted to sample Christian's work so this was a good opportunity. He was also the only scabbard maker, at the time, who didn't require the sword's presence to make the scabbard. (I do believe Tod's Stuff might be able to do the same now.) Given the nose bleed inducing shipping costs on a sword this size, that was a real plus.

The commission was for a fairly simple scabbard. Given that swords of this type were carried rather than worn, no belt or suspension system was necessary. I chose to go without any kind of decoration and a simple chape from Christians available selection. I wonder if I should have asked for a bit of decoration, as the scabbard face is awfully long and blank. Still, it is pleasing in a minimalist sort of way. While the commission hardly stretched Christians abilities, he did provide exactly what I asked for. The scabbard is quite cleanly done, with a very good profile. It's quite pleasingly thin, something I still see lacking in some scabbards being made. Christian also did an excellent job of sizing the scabbards core, especially given the swords absence during the process.

http://www.christianfletcher.com/

We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Given that swords of this type were carried rather than worn, no belt or suspension system was necessary.
    First off, congrats! this is a beautiful sword and a beautiful scabbard.

Second, can you expand on the part that I left quoted? This sword looks, to my totally inexpert eyes, like a bastard sword (I think that's what they called the 'hand and a half' swords) and I thought that they were meant to be worn. Also, when you say that they were carried, how so? like by hand or with some sort of attachment to a saddle?

Thanks.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

This post chapes my ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    …. to my totally inexpert eyes, like a bastard sword
    Nope, nope.

Swords like this two-hander came into use in the late medieval and early renaissance periods. Roughly, north and south of 1500 AD. So, when you see Mel Gibson swinging one around in Braveheart that's an anachronism. They were used in the field by what we'd think of as infantry shock troops today: protecting the standard or the subject in command, trying to penetrate enemy pike formations, etc. Beyond military application, they saw quite a bit of use in urban areas, by the bodyguards of rich merchants and high ranking nobles, as well as members of the civic guard. They were also used in the tournament setting for contests on foot.

In the field they would have been transported by wagon in the supply train, or across the shoulder by an individual. Since the swords were sharp, a scabbard was advantageous in either scenario. When used in an urban environment a scabbard would be necessary to avoid injury to yourself or someone else in a crowd. Swords like this would also be used for riot control by the civic guard. In that context cooperation was the desired end, not mass slaughter, so using the scabbarded sword as an impact weapon could be seen as preferable. We know these large two-handed swords had scabbards because the period texts tell us they did, in spite of having few surviving examples. Period training manuals go into detail on how to draw the sword from its scabbard when preparing to use it on a crowded street. (essentially grab it, fling it off the blade and pick it up later) They were never worn at the waist, nor were they ever carried slung across the back in spite of Hollywood's best efforts on the subject. So, a suspension system wasn't necessary.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 08-22-2018 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    This post chapes my ass.

Nope, nope.

Swords like this two-hander came into use in the late medieval and early renaissance periods. Roughly, north and south of 1500 AD. So, when you see Mel Gibson swinging one around in Braveheart that's an anachronism. They were used in the field by what we'd think of as infantry shock troops today: protecting the standard or the subject in command, trying to penetrate enemy pike formations, etc. Beyond military application, they saw quite a bit of use in urban areas, by the bodyguards of rich merchants and high ranking nobles, as well as members of the civic guard. They were also used in the tournament setting for contests on foot.

In the field they would have been transported by wagon in the supply train, or across the shoulder by an individual. Since the swords were sharp, a scabbard was advantageous in either scenario. When used in an urban environment a scabbard would be necessary to avoid injury to yourself or someone else in a crowd. Swords like this would also be used for riot control by the civic guard. In that context cooperation was the desired end, not mass slaughter, so using the scabbarded sword as an impact weapon could be seen as preferable. We know these large two-handed swords had scabbards because the period texts tell us they did, in spite of having few surviving examples. Period training manuals go into detail on how to draw the sword from its scabbard when preparing to use it on a crowded street. (essentially grab it, fling it off the blade and pick it up later) They were never worn at the waist, nor were they ever carried slung across the back in spite of Hollywood's best efforts on the subject. So, a suspension system wasn't necessary.
    Well, my sense of proportions is totally out of wack :-)

So we're talking about a zweihänder as used by the landsknechts, or am I off again?

Thanks for the explanation, it makes a lot of sense, though I hadn't realized these types of swords could be useful in urban bodyguard duty or for riot control. That's really interesting.

Some years back at Blade, I saw John Clements demonstrate and spar with one of those, it was fascinating.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Well, my sense of proportions is totally out of wack :-)

So we're talking about a zweihänder as used by the landsknechts, or am I off again?

Thanks for the explanation, it makes a lot of sense, though I hadn't realized these types of swords could be useful in urban bodyguard duty or for riot control. That's really interesting.

Some years back at Blade, I saw John Clements demonstrate and spar with one of those, it was fascinating.

It's hard to get a sense of proportion on these things without a human reference point.

Yes, you're on the right track now. In size, these Albion swords are actually on the lower end of the scale when we're talking about the German Zweihander/Biddenhander/Doppelhander, the Italian Spadone or the Spanish Montante, but they still qualify. There are a fair number of surviving Montante treatises, the study of which is something of the current hotness in historic martial arts circles right now. I've always liked them. I'm a big guy, so I like big swords. Albion really did a great job on the Maximilian/Archduke/Tyrolean Models. They handle beautifully.

We tend to romanticize this kind of weapon. However, while they had a definite presence on the late medieval/early renaissance battlefield, I don't think they were seen as a priority. When you examine period military records: supply requisitions, personnel lists, etc., commanders were always asking for more pikemen, arquebusers (early firearms) and the like. They hardly ever request more two-handed swordsmen. In troop registries the two former always far out number the latter.

John's been working on an historic weapons series for television that he seems pretty excited about. We'll see if it's an actual improvement over the usual History Channel stuff.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 08-23-2018 at 11:34 AM.

Macaulay may have been referencing this very photograph when he wrote . . .

Then out spake brave Horatius,
    The Captain of the gate:
    “To every man upon this earth
    Death cometh soon or late.
    and how can man die better
    Than facing fearful odds
    For the ashes of his fathers
    And the temples of his gods.

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Macaulay may have been referencing this very photograph when he wrote . . .

Then out spake brave Horatius,
    The Captain of the gate:
    “To every man upon this earth
    Death cometh soon or late.
    and how can man die better
    Than facing fearful odds
    For the ashes of his fathers
    And the temples of his gods.
    One of my favorite verses. It doesn't quite carry the same weight, when you read the whole thing and learn that Horatius and his companions actually survive the battle, but why quibble.

This one is my Gotterdammerung/Ragnarok/Apocalypse weapon. Screw firearms. At the end it's all about style.

It's hard to get a sense of proportion on these things without a human reference point.

Yes, you're on the right track now. In size, these Albion swords are actually on the lower end of the scale when we're talking about the German Zweihander/Biddenhander/Doppelhander, the Italian Spadone or the Spanish Montante, but they still qualify. There are a fair number of surviving Montante treatises, the study of which is something of the current hotness in historic martial arts circles right now. I've always liked them. I'm a big guy, so I like big swords. Albion really did a great job on the Maximilian/Archduke/Tyrolean Models. They handle beautifully.

We tend to romanticize this kind of weapon. However, while they had a definite presence on the late medieval/early renaissance battlefield, I don't think they were seen as a priority. When you examine period military records: supply requisitions, personnel lists, etc., commanders were always asking for more pikemen, arquebusers (early firearms) and the like. They hardly ever request more two-handed swordsmen. In troop registries the two former always far out number the latter.

John's been working on an historic weapons series for television that he seems pretty excited about. We'll see if it's an actual improvement over the usual History Channel stuff.
    I would assume wielding that type of sword required a high level of expertise, thus commensurate pay (both always hard to come by, I imagine) and considering the tactics of the infantry of the day, pikemen and arquebusiers would be more in demand, and cheaper (less sure on how cheap arquebusiers would be since they are the predecessors of the musqueteers).

I'll have to go look at Albion's website.

I hope that series works out because I would want to see that.

User Tag List