Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maximilian Scabbard by Christian Fletcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    I would assume wielding that type of sword required a high level of expertise, thus commensurate pay (both always hard to come by, I imagine) and considering the tactics of the infantry of the day, pikemen and arquebusiers would be more in demand, and cheaper (less sure on how cheap arquebusiers would be since they are the predecessors of the musqueteers).

I'll have to go look at Albion's website.

I hope that series works out because I would want to see that.

When you spend time with one of these, it's obvious that hurting yourself is a distinct possibility if you don't know what you're doing. Any sword is really just a lever, but with one this long there's a lot of velocity generated out on the business end. It would be fairly easy to lop off your own foot if you're not paying attention.

You're right, the soldiers who used these usually were some of the higher paid troops. Whether this is because they were more skilled, or because the job was more hazardous we don't know.

It's best to avoid Albion's website, unless you want to spend some money.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    When you spend time with one of these, it's obvious that hurting yourself is a distinct possibility if you don't know what you're doing. Any sword is really just a lever, but with one this long there's a lot of velocity generated out on the business end. It would be fairly easy to lop off your own foot if you're not paying attention.

You're right, the soldiers who used these usually were some of the higher paid troops. Whether this is because they were more skilled, or because the job was more hazardous we don't know.

It's best to avoid Albion's website, unless you want to spend some money.
    When I saw John Clements doing his demonstrations, it became very obvious, very fast, that sword wielding is an art requiring training, attention and care (it should have been more obvious but then again, movies and books easily give a false impression).

Just came back from the Albion website ... hmm lotsa temptation there.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    I would assume wielding that type of sword required a high level of expertise, thus commensurate pay (both always hard to come by, I imagine) and considering the tactics of the infantry of the day, pikemen and arquebusiers would be more in demand, and cheaper (less sure on how cheap arquebusiers would be since they are the predecessors of the musqueteers).
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Doppelsöldner,
    ("double-pay men",[1] from German doppel meaning double, sold meaning pay) were Landsknechte in 16th-century Germany who volunteered to fight in the front line, taking on extra risk, in exchange for double payment. The stated ratio was that one Landsknecht in four would be a Doppelsöldner. The Doppelsöldner of each company were usually issued with ranged weapons, such as a crossbow or an arquebus, and arranged in the wings of a square, in front of the pikemen.[2]

Likewise, Landsknechte schooled in the use of the Zweihänder (two-hander), a two-handed sword, were entitled to double pay and thus qualified as Doppelsöldner.[3] The fencing guild of the Brotherhood of St. Mark had the monopoly on the use of the Zweihänder after Frederick III, Holy Roman Emperor granted it to them in 1487...
    I can't look at the Albion website, I start itching to order the Heinlein Lady Vivamus, and then I want to go to the Heinlein Society site and order the Virginia Edition...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List