Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: I've found my favorite J-Frame grips...and it makes me a little sad.

Reminds me of the “Smython” fad of putting Colt barrels on S&W frames. Do you now have a “Smaurus” revolver?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    Taurus is probably just really happy to be selling a product with a low likely hood of return for warranty work.
    Mine were really close to going back. Had to dig a bunch of rubber out of the loading side screw hole just to be able to get the screw started in the threads. It was basically filled during the molding process. This was one of those times when being stubborn paid off.

I also hit them with the power sanders. Took a little of the hump back out of the back strap (might have gone too far with this, will figure it out later), and shaved a little more room for speed loaders on the loading side. Probably more shaving I'll do before I'm done.

Dry fired them with my 640-1 a few sessions. Liking them so far. Better than my previous fave J-frame grips, the Hogue Centurion. Probably still too sticky for pocket carry, but learning what works for when I get the pony router fired up and finally carve some of my own.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Found Mine Last Night (while looking for something else)

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    No. I have that Hogue grip on my spare 642. That bottom cap I think is how it secures.
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    But there is a bit of a recess, I think you could maybe make it as short as the Taurus grip.
    Last night while looking for something I never found I tripped across my Hogues. The bottom is the clip, but I think you could grind enough to make it flat on the bottom like the Taurus grip. As I mentioned, just brainstorming, the Hogue really is quite nice.

Phone photos of the Taurus grip next to the factory 442 grip:
    Name:  8CE710E6-361C-4B24-BB5E-A3C0B6730942.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  35.6 KB
    Name:  D0F4534F-3D3A-4FA3-A8A1-1EF776CE2F46.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  47.0 KB
    Name:  809F7FDE-5819-4153-A07E-DADDD00CCE03.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  25.1 KB
    Name:  F9919836-F342-498F-802F-724CD6C90CF2.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  26.7 KB

The Taurus grip feels larger and chunkier, with the rear being almost square.

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    The Taurus grip feels larger and chunkier, with the rear being almost square.
    I radiused the corners some more on mine.
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    They’re Ahrends Grips!
    Do these let you get a high grip? I've now tried VZ, Hogue G10 and Eagle with no joy. The first two pics show how high I like to grip a j-frame, but I'm starting to doubt myself. The second pics show where my hand sits if I use the grips the way they're designed.

Name:  J1.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  45.8 KB
    Name:  J2.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  30.7 KB

Name:  J3.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  47.4 KB
    Name:  J4.jpg
Size:  32.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    Do these let you get a high grip? I've now tried VZ, Hogue G10 and Eagle with no joy. The first two pics show how high I like to grip a j-frame, but I'm starting to doubt myself. The second pics show where my hand sits if I use the grips the way they're designed.

Name:  J1.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  45.8 KB
    Name:  J2.jpg
Size:  30.7 KB

Name:  J3.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  47.4 KB
    Name:  J4.jpg
Size:  32.1 KB
    Yes. I grip the way you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hogue Centennial grips go all the way up on a Centennial. The Taurus don't go quite as high, but work better for me than most.
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Yes. I grip the way you do.
    Thanks! You said you own them both with and without finger grooves...which would you recommend?

(ETA: I just spoke with Mr. Ahrends; he prefers the finger groove and he's running about 4mos on deliver for anyone else interested in a set.)
    Last edited by Gun Mutt; 09-12-2018 at 12:40 PM.

I just saw on S&W blue forum where someone had replaced the Taurus emblems with cut-off .38SPL case heads. Of course, if your J is chambered for .357, you should consider using those case heads, because you obviously care about style if you're going to take the time to do that.
    Not another dime.

User Tag List