Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: I've found my favorite J-Frame grips...and it makes me a little sad.

Dammit Doc! I was sure they were Eagle SS and went ahead and ordered a set I'd been considering...mumble, mumble, harrumph, damn things better fit.
    Last edited by Gun Mutt; 08-24-2018 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    Dammit Doc! I was sure they were Eagle SS and went ahead and ordered a set I'd been considering...mumble, mumble, harrumph, damn things better fit.
    I have a set of the Eagle. The fit is sloppy and the contouring was wrong for my hands. They also wouldn’t clear my speedloaders. Sorry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    I have a set of the Eagle. The fit is sloppy and the contouring was wrong for my hands. They also wouldn’t clear my speedloaders. Sorry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have a set of Eagle Secret Service grips for my Detective Special. When I first received them, they stuck out from the backstrap about 1/8 inch, and would not allow use of a speedloader. I called Eagle to discuss the issue. Their response: "No one told us about a speedloader." They did, however, promptly tell me to send the grips back in after tracing the frame with a pencil. They made the grips fit much better, and provided the speedloader cut, with no additional costs to me other than shipping. So, it was a good result in the end, but I have to wonder about any revolver grip maker that doesn't take speedloaders into consideration for any and all grips they make.

I like that they do not catch on clothing like rubber, and it is a little quicker to slide my hand into position. However, the finger grooves are a bit big for my hand. Despite providing only a 2-finger grip, they are no smaller than the Colt OEM Pachmayr Compaq grips that came on the gun, which permit a slightly modified 3 finger grip. Having carried and shot the gun with both grips, I prefer the factory rubber grips.
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 08-24-2018 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    I have a set of Eagle Secret Service grips for my Detective Special. When I first received them, they stuck out from the backstrap about 1/8 inch, and would not allow use of a speedloader. I called Eagle to discuss the issue. Their response: "No one told us about a speedloader." They did, however, promptly tell me to send the grips back in after tracing the frame with a pencil. They made the grips fit much better, and provided the speedloader cut, with no additional costs to me other than shipping. So, it was a good result in the end, but I have to wonder about any revolver grip maker that doesn't take speedloaders into consideration for any and all grips they make.

I like that they do not catch on clothing like rubber, and it is a little quicker to slide my hand into position. However, the finger grooves are a bit big for my hand. Despite providing only a 2-finger grip, they are no smaller than the Colt OEM Pachmayr Compaq grips that came on the gun, which permit a slightly modified 3 finger grip. Having carried and shot the gun with both grips, I prefer the factory rubber grips.
    The preponderance of revolver shooters don’t need a speedloader cut because they don’t need a speedloader for their purposes. Most folks take them to the range along with 10 other guns and a box of ammo for each. These are the same folks that don’t believe they need spare magazines.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    The preponderance of revolver shooters don’t need a speedloader cut because they don’t need a speedloader for their purposes. Most folks take them to the range along with 10 other guns and a box of ammo for each. These are the same folks that don’t believe they need spare magazines.

Probably, mostly, true.

For me however, a revolver is either a BUG, or an "I'm not carrying a gun" gun. 95% of the time, I'm not carrying a revolver reload at all...when I do, it's on a strip.

Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    Probably, mostly, true.

For me however, a revolver is either a BUG, or an "I'm not carrying a gun" gun. 95% of the time, I'm not carrying a revolver reload at all...when I do, it's on a strip.
    It's very easy to let our personal experiences color our perspectives of how we think others do things.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    https://i.imgur.com/m39bgc9.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/uEllyXl.jpg

Yes, that abomination is exactly what you think it is.

The Taurus grips are actually the perfect size "boot" grip for me, they cover the backstrap (I've previously been cutting the pinky area off of the old Uncle Mikes J-Frame grips, to get a boot grip with a covered backstrap), and they are just tacky enough.

I'm either going to have to paint the medallions black, or rip them out of the grips entirely though...just don't like having "Taurus" written on the side of an otherwise perfectly good 351c.
    I've heard of that being done. To each his own.

My first snubby, ten-ish years ago, was a Taurus 605. Gun's fine, I disliked that boot grip, settled on the Uncle Mike's 3 finger grip.
    Last edited by lee n. field; 08-25-2018 at 04:06 PM.

Bah! No worries. I use Kydex holsters, even for 1911’s which is heresy to some folks. So do what you need to do, adapt!

Not uncommon, I think...

Name:  IMG_0597.jpg
Views: 978
Size:  48.0 KB
    I found the Taurus to be the best balance of size and shootability for me. The Sile ones were close, but not as pocket friendly. For me, a matter of covering the backstrap, filling in behind the trigger guard, and giving some purchase to the little finger and still working for pocket and ankle carry. Forgot who I stole the idea from and can't recall where I put the pin I took out of the 642.
    Last edited by Jhp147; 08-29-2018 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Spelling

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhp147 View Post
    Name:  IMG_0597.jpg
Views: 978
Size:  48.0 KB
    I found the Taurus to be the best balance of size and shootability for me. The Sile ones were close, but not as pocket friendly. For me, a matter of covering the backstrap, filling in behind the trigger guard, and giving some purchase to the little finger and still working for pocket and ankle carry. Forgot who I stole the idea from and can't recall where I put the pin I took out of the 642.
    I have a 442 for pocket carry that is just begging for a set of these...If I remove the pin, can the original S&W rubber grips be used if necessary?

User Tag List