Thread: Inherited Revolvers - S&W & Colt

Inherited Revolvers - S&W & Colt

So, I have a few revolvers that used to belong to my great uncle, but I'm not much of a revolver guy so don't know much about them. He passed away a while back when I was still a kid so I don't have as many memories of him as I wish I did, but by all accounts he was a very cool dude. He spent most of his life working in law enforcement, specifically in the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission. His wife passed last year so these have made their way to me.

I'll start with my favorite - a TABC 50th Anniversary edition S&W 686. This is in immaculate condition and has apparently not been fired outside of the factory. It includes the commemorative case and badge as well. From what I've been able to find online, you had to be a part of the TABC at the time to purchase these.

I'd be interested to know the value of this one, but it doesn't really matter as this one is definitely not going anywhere any time soon. He actually had two of these with sequential serial numbers (the other ended up going to my uncle) and they were obviously something that meant a lot to him and someday this one will be left to my son.

Name:  IMG_2481.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  100.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_2482.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  70.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_2483.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  56.0 KB

The other two are are a matched set of Colt Single Action Frontier Scout .22 Magnums. I don't know much about these and they didn't come with any backstory, but they also appear to be in excellent condition and came with a nice wooden box. I haven't been able to find too much info on these so I'm interested to find out if there is anything special about them and what their value might be.

Depending on the value of these and what I learn about them, they are something I may consider selling to someone who can appreciate them more than I can since they aren't really my thing.

Name:  IMG_2477.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  74.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_2478.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  80.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_2479.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  57.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_2480.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  44.4 KB

No idea on the Colts, but the S&W Forums could tell you all about the 686.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I'd ask on singleactions.com about the Colts but make it clear you aren't trying to sell them there. Apparently Proboards is very picky about that so the forum owner and management are sticklers for compliance.

Both sets are really special but those Colts have that certain something for me...

Have you tried running the serials on Colt's website for a date of manufacture?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Have you tried running the serials on Colt's website for a date of manufacture?
    I didn’t even know that was a thing.

I just checked and they were manufactured in 1960. (They also have sequential serial numbers)

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    (They also have sequential serial numbers)
    That's not gonna hurt your position.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Get them lettered by Colt.

A factory letter would give you some history and add value, especially if it shows (and I think it would) they shipped as a pair.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    Get them lettered by Colt.

A factory letter would give you some history and add value, especially if it shows (and I think it would) they shipped as a pair.
    Is this a common practice for Colt? Would one just email their customer service folks with the serial numbers and ask for more info?

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    Is this a common practice for Colt? Would one just email their customer service folks with the serial numbers and ask for more info?
    Yes. Somewhere on their website is the factory letter request form. Here's a good example of what the letter can provide. Last I heard it's $100 but since it could have been sold as a set, I'd call and ask if you'd have to pay $100 per serial or if lettering 1 would confirm the other. I'm not sure calling or emailing will even get you the DoM anymore.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Yes. Somewhere on their website is the factory letter request form. Here's a good example of what the letter can provide. Last I heard it's $100 but since it could have been sold as a set, I'd call and ask if you'd have to pay $100 per serial or if lettering 1 would confirm the other. I'm not sure calling or emailing will even get you the DoM anymore.
    Thanks, I’ll definitely look into this.

User Tag List