Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Atheism

Organized religion bores and infuriates me. In my opinion it completely misses the mark of what it claims to be about.

I’ve been to numerous churches as a courtesy to friends and family, and always got that pretentious vibe from the regulars.

Then there’s the mega churches where pastors are bringing in significant incomes and driving expensive, exotic cars. And let’s not forget about the one who was asking his congregation to fund him a FOURTH private jet.

I always hear about mission trips to go help out the less fortunate in foreign countries. Uh, what about the folks in your own community? One of wife’s grandfathers is making regular trips to Honduras lately.

Highly judgemental folks condemning the actions and behaviors of others because their rule book says it’s bad while at the same time preaching about love and acceptance. Nevermind the other things that are bad in that book that they do. Cherry-picking snobs.

Oh and my personal favorite, if you don’t go to church you’re not a true believer. Always reminds me of a quote: “Being in a church doesn’t make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.”

Do I believe in God? Sure, because there’s some stuff out there that seems to back up some manner of divine presence. I just hate everyone’s rules on how others should conduct themselves in their beliefs.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Since it's impossible for something to come from nothing (No Thing),
    I'll give you "probably" on that, but pursuing the proof is pretty interesting, no?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    ... it is interesting how otherwise smart people can believe something so silly and illogical.
    Where's your proof that you can't make something from nothing? It would put a lot of things to rest.
    Of course a non-believer would ask... "Then what created God?"
    Since, if you can believe that God "is and always was", then why can there not be a way to create something from nothing?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by EMC View Post
    I grew up in a very similar manner, raised in a high demand fundamentalist/literalist/authoritarian religion. The process of discovering your worldview is crumbling before you in the information age is a painful but rewarding process. Evolving away from tribalism and "othering" based on religion and being open to new discovery is very freeing.

I like Dr. James Fowler's "Stages of Faith":
    http://www.psychologycharts.com/jame...-of-faith.html

I would consider myself in the stage 4 category. The difficulty lies in maintaining healthy relationships with family who still cling to the faith tradition.

I was raised into Christianity, (now I'd say I was indoctrinated.. but that's another topic). At any rate, I am an agnostic atheist. Almost every single family member and friend I ever had may not have been gung ho evangelical but couldn't fathom, at all, that I no longer believe that any deities exist and, of course, were on missions to save my soul. I couldn't believe the amount of animosity I received from people who swore up and down how much they loved me with my "just wanting to sin" conveniently coming up at every opportunity with "you'll be sorry when you are roasting in hell!" being the parting quip. I basically had to cut them all off (except my mom and dad, who didn't approve but let me be - certain that I'd come to my senses eventually) and build a new social circle. Maintaining relationships isn't always possible nor desirable. I just wanted to be left alone about it and eat the damn turkey dinner, hang out with family, etc., but somehow I was a 'betrayer' in their eyes.

Over the past 20-30 years things have gotten a bit better with the older generation passing away but it still comes up from time to time. Funny thing is, now almost all my friends are Christians - not the ones from before, but rather people meeting me as an atheist. Kinda funny, really.
    Last edited by critter; 08-21-2018 at 03:56 PM. Reason: grammar, man, grammar
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    One thing, that I believe scientists do very wrong, is not draw the distinction between philosophical naturalism and methodological naturalism. It is apparent, when you carefully read the earliest works on evolutionary theory, that this was an important distinction to those authors. Subsequently, the nuance between them has been lost and this distinction is no longer discussed at length or even part of the pedagogical training for many (most) scientists. This is a reflection of specialization and training that allows an escape from a broad liberal arts focus at the early stages of scientific careers allowing scientists who are in their early career stages to bypass understanding of the history, philosophy, and classical ethics of their fields.

Why do I start there? Because what you describe in your initial post reflects very much the thought process of individuals who are, by necessity or through lack of clarity between the concepts, conflating philosophical and methodological naturalism. Whether they be students confronted for the first time or established scholars confronted with evidence for the first time. Which, by the by, is not to say that you are not changing or you belief system is not being altered as you perceive new evidence, that can be and probably is quite true. Rather, what I am saying is, one way to deal with some of the conflict you elude to in your post, is by drawing this careful distinction and treating these two topics as separate, but related topics.

Philosophical naturalism is an a-theistic view, where Natural Laws can and does explain the entire existence of everything. It is a personal viewpoint of the universe, not a scientific construct. In this framework, there are no God(s), there is nothing that cannot, ultimately, be explained by investigation, though philosophical naturalists concede that some things, at present, cannot be adequately investigated, but suggest that they could be given appropriate circumstances.

Methodological naturalism, is the required framework, where scientists exclude the supernatural as explanatory mechanisms for studied phenomena. Because investigation of the supernatural falls outside the domain of scientific inquiry, we exclude supernatural explanatory mechanisms. In other words, "Casper the Friendly Ghost did it." is not a valid hypothesis for, "Why my beer bottle fell on the floor and broke when I was drunk." Where a valid scientific hypothesis for that phenomena is, "While intoxicated, the individual (me) had reduced capacity for physical control of my beer bottle, resulting in my dropping it or knocking it over and it breaking." The latter can be investigated through experimentation, the former (Casper) cannot.

It is, absolutely necessary, that methodological naturalism be invoked as the framework for scientific inquiry, not so with philosophical naturalism. Philosophical naturalism, like theism, or spiritualism, is, in many respects, a faith-based belief system. I've seen philosophical naturalists argue, this isn't the case their they system is evidence-based, but ultimately at the far ends of the spectrum it is faith-based that the laws and rules are adequately described and investigated to explain things currently beyond what is known.

Moreover, there is plenty of physical evidence to support that at least portions of narratives in Judeo-Christian-Muslim texts are real. There is no doubt, for instance, that King David was real, given substantial archeological evidence and even existence of a royal seal marking ring that bears his name and kingdom. The fact that this evidence was recovered in the 19th and 20th centuries, long after the Old Testament was written and codified (as evidenced by the Dead Sea Scrolls), bears witness to the fact that the Bible and related texts are historical in nature and therefore have physical evidence to support them. The reality that the science supports the interpretations of these artifacts, also supports this.

My point here is - evidence is important in its appropriate context. Bear in mind that methodological naturalism allows you to investigate the physical evidence of the history of the universe and of Biblical texts, but does not (and cannot) tell you how to integrate that data in your personal belief system - only you can do that. The scientific method and mode of inquiry is the greatest gift that science has to give, more so than the knowledge it allows us to uncover. But science cannot, should not, and will not (while I am alive and a scientist), tell you what to believe.

For me - I am agnostic to the existence of higher "supernatural" powers. Because I believe that at present our ability to investigate the supernatural is non-existent. There are simply questions that cannot be investigated or answered using methodological naturalism. Until someone invents either an alternative, evidence and hypothesis based approach to inquiry that can bear evidence, or we refine our abilities, I believe we will have to wait on investigating "matters of faith". In other words, matters that one must "believe in" to find evidence for. An important distinction for me here is that I don't believe for or against any God(s). I do believe that if such omnipotent beings exist that they are beyond the physical comprehension of our brains and therefore outside of the realm of investigation for us.

Importantly, as a scientist, skeptic, and inquirer - I am able to sidestep philosophical belief issues in my own world view. I do not know, I cannot know, and therefore I will not know the answers to some questions. This, I am quite fine with, as a person. I don't lose any sleep over it, because I have accepted that my ability to know things is limited and therefore I allow myself to investigate questions that I believe I can answer adequately. It also means I do knot, cannot, and will not tell someone else what to believe - except if they deny the existent of evidence backed, verifiable, observations. At which point I take the tact of showing them how the evidence was collected, why, and how it was studied. Ultimately, I leave it with the recipient to decide if they believe it, but after I've shown them everything "behind the curtain", rational folks usually accept it with the assumptions and caveats provided. Irrational people cannot have their perceptions altered and are not worth continuing discourse with.

And that's basically it.
    You are so often massively verbose that I don't usually get through your posts. But, this is gold. Thank you for helping me form a framework. I line up pretty closely with you belief wise and practice wise.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I am somewhere between stage 5 & 6. There is definitely much more going, much more mystery in life, than pure atheism or agnostic beliefs allow--hang out in an ED, ICU or other such place for a while and that truth becomes quite apparent...
    I have been filled with awe at the wonders natural world since my earliest days. From listening to Sagan, to studying physiology, to just feeling the wind in my face on a trail. The world is an amazing place that speaks to the soul. I just can't prove it

Religion is not something I think about very often and the existence of God(s) is simply not an interesting question to me.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by ER_STL View Post
    Why however is methodical naturalism essential for valid scientific inquiry? I would agree that the scientific method on which we base much of our scientific discovery involves the invocation of experiments and tests where the results may be observed. But, what if the most logical answer to a question for which repetitive experimentation may not be possible is supernatural rather than naturalistic? In that case, it may not be possible to prove with certainty that a hypothesis is correct but it may be demonstrative that the evidence most likely points to the answer that the hypothesis seeks to postulate. Are we still at that point inquiring as scientific minds?
    An interesting dilemma. First, the argument for why methodological naturalism is required, is because supernatural explanations typically supersede natural ones in their "explanatory power". I.e., if an omnipotent turtle from another universe did it - then no further explanation is necessary. From a purely philosophical point of view this is often called a "science stopper" and is the main argument for excluding supernatural explanations. If an appeal to a (supernatural) authority is sufficient to explain all phenomena, then there is, by logic, no need to investigate the phenomena. In order for us to seek broader understanding, we adopt this approach by necessity.

To address your second point, which as I understand it is, "What if all or any of the evidence does not support a natural answer?" - The default approach is to then re-evaluate the potential hypotheses. Remember that hypotheses are only explanations in the sense of what is understood at the time of formulation and based on the evidence and understanding surrounding them. Hypotheses are not infallible truths of being, merely heuristics for investigating a given phenomena. If the evidence collected does not support nor allow rejection of a given hypothesis, the first and most logical thing to do, is investigate if the data were properly collected. Then investigate if the hypothesis was formulated properly. I cannot exclude an outcome where all evidence points to a supernatural explanation as the best one, but historically what has happened in all cases that I am aware of, has been that the initial hypothesis was wrong or somehow incomplete or that data were collected or analyzed incorrectly. The best examples of these phenomena are in physics, where explanatory theorems are modified and refined regularly until satisfactorily supported. In those cases, the universal issue with understanding the data has been the fallibility of man with respect to complete knowledge and evidence. Remembering of course, that complete knowledge and evidence is impossible and there a supernatural explanation cannot be ruled out, but scientists will (should) first seek to exhaust all potential natural causes before invoking a supernatural one. Thus far, the types of questions we generally investigate have yielded answers, even if takes a century or more of work.

Some questions may take millennia to solve and some are impossible to solve.

That our universe started in a fantastic and explosive fashion – i.e. the Big Bang – appears to be the most likely explanation based on what we can measure and observe today, despite not being able to repeatedly test or experiment to confirm that theory. We can’t codify that into scientific law with near absolute certainty like we can the laws or gravity for example but at some point reasonable minds can with good confidence say that they understand how our universe came to be. Doesn’t that line of thinking have a place among scientists?
    Absolutely, we call those hypotheses. - Big Bang is the dominant hypothesis for what the origin of the universe looked like, based on the evidence we have. Though we cannot recreate such a cataclysmic event is actually mostly irrelevant, because for now the evidence we do have supports the idea of a large explosive event. That includes things like the density distribution of matter across our solar system (measurable) and the origination of certain types of elements (those that require immense heat and pressure). The explanation is only as good as the evidence that supports it and if we were faced with substantial alternative evidence, we would be forced to reconsider that hypothesis. Natural Laws are in many respect over-rated (yea the scientist just said that).

___

Of course these are just my views and take on the process. There are substantial writings out there related to the philosophy of science. I suppose at some point, I should compose a list of those books which are "lay person accessible" for those interested in such things. I admit to not being as well versed in those books as I should be, simply because I am not a "lay person" (whatever that really means). But developing such a list would be useful for engaging the broader public who interested in such things.

Quote Originally Posted by EMC View Post
    I grew up in a very similar manner, raised in a high demand fundamentalist/literalist/authoritarian religion. The process of discovering your worldview is crumbling before you in the information age is a painful but rewarding process. Evolving away from tribalism and "othering" based on religion and being open to new discovery is very freeing.

I like Dr. James Fowler's "Stages of Faith":
    http://www.psychologycharts.com/jame...-of-faith.html

I would consider myself in the stage 4 category. The difficulty lies in maintaining healthy relationships with family who still cling to the faith tradition.
    Somehow I moved from Stage 1 to Stage 4 without ever buying in to Stages 2 & 3. I can recall thinking it over and going .... uhhh .... no. Just no.

I'm not the least bit mystical or spiritual so I don't see hitting Stage 5 without a lot the assistance of a lot of mushrooms or something.

I'm not really into mushrooms so I guess I'm 'stuck' in 4. Works for me.
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 08-21-2018 at 04:13 PM.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    Somehow I moved from Stage 1 to Stage 4 without ever buying in to Stages 2 & 3. I can recall thinking it over and going .... uhhh .... no. Just no.

I'm not the least bit mystical or spiritual so I don't see hitting Stage 5 without a lot the assistance of a lot of mushrooms or something.

I'm not really into mushrooms so I guess I'm 'stuck' in 4. Works for me.

I know a guy...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    An interesting dilemma. First, the argument for why methodological naturalism is required, is because supernatural explanations typically supersede natural ones in their "explanatory power". I.e., if an omnipotent turtle from another universe did it - then no further explanation is necessary. From a purely philosophical point of view this is often called a "science stopper" and is the main argument for excluding supernatural explanations. If an appeal to a (supernatural) authority is sufficient to explain all phenomena, then there is, by logic, no need to investigate the phenomena. In order for us to seek broader understanding, we adopt this approach by necessity.
    I understand this line of thinking and the Christian believer is often guilty of defaulting back to God as the answer for many unanswered questions when there may be a better explanation. My reason for asking however is based on the bias among scientists - namely those teaching in our universities honestly - that I've seen towards a supernatural authority as the answer to any of the questions we might ask about the world around us. Science IMHO must stay true to the "systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment", regardless of where that leads us.

To address your second point, which as I understand it is, "What if all or any of the evidence does not support a natural answer?" - The default approach is to then re-evaluate the potential hypotheses. Remember that hypotheses are only explanations in the sense of what is understood at the time of formulation and based on the evidence and understanding surrounding them. Hypotheses are not infallible truths of being, merely heuristics for investigating a given phenomena. If the evidence collected does not support nor allow rejection of a given hypothesis, the first and most logical thing to do, is investigate if the data were properly collected. Then investigate if the hypothesis was formulated properly. I cannot exclude an outcome where all evidence points to a supernatural explanation as the best one, but historically what has happened in all cases that I am aware of, has been that the initial hypothesis was wrong or somehow incomplete or that data were collected or analyzed incorrectly. The best examples of these phenomena are in physics, where explanatory theorems are modified and refined regularly until satisfactorily supported. In those cases, the universal issue with understanding the data has been the fallibility of man with respect to complete knowledge and evidence. Remembering of course, that complete knowledge and evidence is impossible and there a supernatural explanation cannot be ruled out, but scientists will (should) first seek to exhaust all potential natural causes before invoking a supernatural one. Thus far, the types of questions we generally investigate have yielded answers, even if takes a century or more of work.
    Bolded for posterity. IMO that is the hallmark attribute of an objective scientific mind - the willingness to accept the outcome of the gathering of evidence irrespective of where it leads us. There is a nice internal debate among Christians regarding the age of the universe that demonstrates this to some extent.

Absolutely, we call those hypotheses. - Big Bang is the dominant hypothesis for what the origin of the universe looked like, based on the evidence we have. Though we cannot recreate such a cataclysmic event is actually mostly irrelevant, because for now the evidence we do have supports the idea of a large explosive event. That includes things like the density distribution of matter across our solar system (measurable) and the origination of certain types of elements (those that require immense heat and pressure). The explanation is only as good as the evidence that supports it and if we were faced with substantial alternative evidence, we would be forced to reconsider that hypothesis. Natural Laws are in many respect over-rated (yea the scientist just said that).
    Yep, and of course much of the debate between Creationism and Naturalism hinges on what may (or may not) have caused the Big Bang in the first place, and was I suppose the spark for my original question around the necessity for methodical naturalism as the means for exploring the wonderful world around us.

Of course these are just my views and take on the process. There are substantial writings out there related to the philosophy of science. I suppose at some point, I should compose a list of those books which are "lay person accessible" for those interested in such things. I admit to not being as well versed in those books as I should be, simply because I am not a "lay person" (whatever that really means). But developing such a list would be useful for engaging the broader public who interested in such things.
    Please do. What by the way is your area of expertise if I may ask?
    Last edited by ER_STL; 08-21-2018 at 04:26 PM.

User Tag List