Thread: Check your 1301T bolt release

Site Supporter

Check your 1301T bolt release

I retook the one day Defensive Shotgun class at FAS yesterday - My 1301 performed flawlessly.
    After class, I drove the 3 ˝ hours home, locked the shotguns in the safe and went to bed.

When I took it out of the safe to clean it today, I was surprise to see the bolt release lever was naked – the redesigned cover/shroud was missing. No idea how or where it went, but it was there when I was shooting the last exercise of the day and port loading - I'm pretty sure it was there when I closed the bolt to case it at the range .

Name:  bolt release.jpg
Views: 2618
Size:  57.4 KB

BUSA support is trying to track down the missing part so I don’t have to send the shotgun in to have the whole bolt release assembly replaced.

Site Supporter
    Update:
    Just got the attached note from Beretta customer support.

Hello Paul:

Thank you for contacting Beretta Customer Support.
    Good news, sir. It took some time to locate one, but I found a replacement sleeve that I sourced from a product return. As a courtesy, I will drop it in the mail today for delivery to your address.

Best regards,

Beretta Customer Support

I guess the redesigned bolt release sleeve isn't a part they stock. I'm glad they found one for me - I was just about to try and fab something...

Site Supporter
    My replacement sleeve just came in the mail.
    It just slides over the bolt release lever and is held in place by a nub on the lever back that mates with the hole in the back of the sleeve.
    My original part might have cracked and allowed the sleeve to slide off un-noticed.... I'll keep a better eye on this one when I go back to FAS for the Advanced Defensive Shotgun class in October.

Name:  sleeve front 1.jpg
Views: 1083
Size:  24.9 KBName:  sleeve back 2.jpg
Views: 1229
Size:  24.2 KB

Dumb question: is this the old or new model 1301?
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Dumb question: is this the old or new model 1301?
    New model.... Kinda wish I'd looked around for a little more for a gen 1 and replaced the factory bolt release lever with one from Aridus.

I'm going to thank Beretta Support for finding the replacement sleeve and recommend they start stocking them for spares.
    Last edited by paulw; 09-08-2018 at 05:55 PM.

Site Supporter

Found bolt release sleeve!

I went back to FAS for the Advanced Defensive Shotgun class last weekend. Great class - I was accurate enough, but too slow on 2 stages to pass the Shotgun Master test .
    Anyway - one of the other students found the bolt release sleeve I lost there in August. It was on the range where I was standing for the Rolling Thunder exercise we ended that class with.
    It was intact - I must have just knocked it off port loading in a hurry.
    At least now I have a spare -- Keep an eye on your gen 2 bolt release!

Quote Originally Posted by paulw View Post
    New model.... Kinda wish I'd looked around for a little more for a gen 1 and replaced the factory bolt release lever with one from Aridus.

I'm going to thank Beretta Support for finding the replacement sleeve and recommend they start stocking them for spares.
    I have a gen 1 1301 Tactical. I've learned from this forum about the newly designed bolt release on the gen 2s. Do most people still like the gen 1 bolt release (with perhaps a shroud installed) instead of the new design? The rubber cover falling off easily on the new design seems kind of dumb.

Also, I've been reading about the possible problem with the lifter getting slightly crooked and then caught. Has that issue been fixed on the gen 2s?

Such a great home defense gun (with some niggling issues)!

Update:
    Just got the attached note from Beretta customer support.

I guess the redesigned bolt release sleeve isn't a part they stock. I'm glad they found one for me - I was just about to try and fab something...
    "...as a courtesy"

Since your gun fell apart were gonna do you a favor...

I gritted my teeth.

I went back to FAS for the Advanced Defensive Shotgun class last weekend. Great class - I was accurate enough, but too slow on 2 stages to pass the Shotgun Master test .
    Looking forward to the AAR. I really wanted to take it as well, but it just wasn't in the cards this year... or the budget...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List