Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Measurement vs "Practice"

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    What would cause stoppages with too-fast draws? Grip?
    The gun and your arm etc. aren't locked in. Sorta like limp wristing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Inertia!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gabe and I were discussing this yesterday, and he also experiences this when working draws at the edge. This was our theory as well.

Grip doesn’t make sense as freeze framing the draw shows a good grip, and the shot goes to the A zone. The presentation is violent for me, when faster than .55, and the pistol is rapidly decelerated as the shot is breaking. Happens with a Glock and PPQ/Q5 consistently below .55. Don’t recall it with a P09. Can’t present a Shadow 1/2 fast enough to get under .55 and test this.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Years ago when I got my First Glock 17, I could get the pistol to unlock as I pushed it out on a fast draw. The recoil spring was worn out, but it locked back up before I shot.

What would cause stoppages with too-fast draws? Grip?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Inertia!
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Gabe and I were discussing this yesterday, and he also experiences this when working draws at the edge. This was our theory as well.
    So stoppages are your gun's way of telling you to slow down.

CF Viet nam era "joke" re: Sucking chest wounds...
    Last edited by Drang; 08-31-2018 at 11:06 AM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

So stoppages are your gun's way of telling you to slow down.

CF Viet nam era "joke" re: Sucking chest wounds...
    Remember those guys that could load their pistols with only a quick jerk forward? Inertia!

The only thing resisting that forward momentum is the recoil spring assembly...if you outstrip THAT spring constant/resistance, the gun will bobble.

And for the record, all chest wounds suck! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I admit that the majority of my handgun shooting has been plinking with occasional disciplined practice to maintain fundamentals. Early on I realized that plinking could degrade skills. One mistake that I made was frequently shooting alone with the result that other gunfire distracted me to a high degree. However, I did become a very good field shooter and became an impressive(???)stunt shooter. I ramble to make this point, which is that field shooting, plinking, and stunt shooting are activities that contribute little or nothing to mastering self defense shooting.

User Tag List