Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Measurement vs "Practice"

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Whatever you do and however you do it to achieve grip on the draw, you do it fast as hell!
    One thing I noticed when shooting with GJM is he has insane twitch reflex speed. It is not a normal thing. Being able to apply that in activities like shooting and flying are a good place to use them. I did a class with a SEAL instructor at one point. Like GJM the guy had amazing hand speed......and could shoot at a very fast rate. Unlike GJM, he couldn’t hit a thing.
    I am a big believer in there are some basic human development factors in a lot of this. The key is capitalizing on them. I could practice as much and be more dedicated than Michael Phelps....will never even make an Olympic team.

Back to the original post....it is why working on very defined skills and solid training routines is critical. You need a solid measure of where you are and be constantly improving or at minimum maintaining critical skill sets. Solid measurement testing is a big part of that.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    One thing I noticed when shooting with GJM is he has insane twitch reflex speed. It is not a normal thing. Being able to apply that in activities like shooting and flying are a good place to use them. I did a class with a SEAL instructor at one point. Like GJM the guy had amazing hand speed......and could shoot at a very fast rate. Unlike GJM, he couldn’t hit a thing.
    I am a big believer in there are some basic human development factors in a lot of this. The key is capitalizing on them. I could practice as much and be more dedicated than Michael Phelps....will never even make an Olympic team.

Back to the original post....it is why working on very defined skills and solid training routines is critical. You need a solid measure of where you are and be constantly improving or at minimum maintaining critical skill sets. Solid measurement testing is a big part of that.
    Darryl, I have always had fairly quick reflexes. I also actively listen for the beep. However, my draw has gotten much faster over the last year or two, despite not being a young guy. My draw used to be in the 80's or maybe high 70's on occasion, and it went down to the .50's. I attribute that to focused practice, so I think it is quite trainable.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Darryl, I have always had fairly quick reflexes. I also actively listen for the beep. However, my draw has gotten much faster over the last year or two, despite not being a young guy. My draw used to be in the 80's or maybe high 70's on occasion, and it went down to the .50's. I attribute that to focused practice, so I think it is quite trainable.
    0.50's sounds like a lot of practice + a 0.15s or less reaction time to the beep + a scoop draw.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    0.50's sounds like a lot of practice + a 0.15s or less reaction time to the beep + a scoop draw.
    I am not sure how you define a "scoop draw?" in post #16, I describe how I do my draw, and posted a screenshot, taken from one of the videos I posted here, of my hand contact with the pistol during my draw.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am not sure how you define a "scoop draw?" in post #16, I describe how I do my draw, and posted a screenshot, taken from one of the videos I posted here, of my hand contact with the pistol during my draw.
    I’m being a little funny, apologies if the humor didn’t come across. Frankly I am jealous and quite seriously I need to see if I can adopt your technique.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    I’m being a little funny, apologies if the humor didn’t come across. Frankly I am jealous and quite seriously I need to see if I can adopt your technique.

Funny is good, and I resemble your comment!

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    One thing I noticed when shooting with GJM is he has insane twitch reflex speed. ... I am a big believer in there are some basic human development factors in a lot of this.
    Allow me to interject some nerd here. People vary in the ratio of fast twitch to slow twitch muscle they have. There are people at both ends of the distribution with a lot of fast twitch or a lot of slow twitch muscle. Some countries actually take muscle biopsies and steer their athletes towards sports variations that benefit their individual mixture. The best example was a kayaker who was #5 in the longer kayak events. When they realized he was all fast twitch, they shifted him to the shorter events and he medaled.

Besides fast and slow twitch muscle, you have some muscle that is neither. Depending on how it is used, it can develop into fast twitch or slow twitch muscle. Resistance/strength training is what converts it into fast twitch muscle.

As an interesting aside, Elden Carl was asked what his "secret" was and he specifically said weight lifting.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

If we were designing the ideal shooter, they would be fast twitch, have eyes like an eagle, the strength of Robert Vogel, and be 18 years old with the AMU to pay for unlimited training. Since that doesn’t describe many of us on PF, we do the best we can with what we have, and that can lead to some pretty decent performance.

We try to continually set up challenging shooting problems in our practice, so that our training is harder than matches. This is what we set up today, and yes, we try to shoot the brown part of the targets, and use as little black tape as possible!

Name:  494BADF9-7229-4D7A-A36A-63633971A9B0.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  99.1 KB

Right off, I worked draws to an eight inch steel at 20 yards.

Later in the session, after a bunch of shooting our arrays at 20 and 25 yards, I worked two shot draws at seven yards:

Showing there can be too much of a good thing, I have frequently experienced stoppages with multiple platforms, when I draw and shooting under .55 second. I filmed this video showing frequent stoppages, including a stovepipe and failure to eject, with draws between .51 and .54. Seems like .58 and above is safe for reasons of reliability.

What would cause stoppages with too-fast draws? Grip?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    What would cause stoppages with too-fast draws? Grip?
    Inertia!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List