Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Measurement vs "Practice"

Tom, thanks for this post. It confirms my thinking that when I do get to live fire, it should focus on the fundamentals such as the Five Yard Roundup.

Though I don't live fire nearly as much as I should, I dry fire every day. Over the last few moths it has been almost exclusively strong-hand only, which I have found transfer well to using two hands. I need to do more weak hand, though...

Thanks again for the insight!

Quote Originally Posted by BJJ View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to post this, Tom. It’s very helpful.

Would you mind expanding on your change in EDC? The last time I trained with you, you were carrying a Glock 35. I am curious about your rationale for moving to a Glock 17.
    Thank you for asking. I have been curious. I figured when you normally carry a 35 that a 17 may be a shorts and t shirt summer gun.

Very well said. I am learning to do this more and learning what I need to work on and focusing on that, although its been a long time since I've gone "just to shoot".

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

During a perfect week when I get to shoot most days, this is my general plan.

Monday — work on specific things that might have surfaced over the weekend at a match.

Mid-week, work on very difficult things that raise my overall skill level. Sometimes, this can be ugly.

Friday — shoot with perfect technique at match pace to build consistency and confidence.

Weekend — go shoot a bunch of A’s as fast as I can.

Also, I wanna grow up to be a GJM
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Something we like to do is keep changing the targets around, to keep the challenges fresh. This was what we set up today:

Name:  37EE67A0-630D-4BFF-BDEC-FCC15F1ADF92.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  100.0 KB

Name:  5698AEB2-6E27-4E41-9D76-53CDCF208D30.jpg
Views: 537
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Philosophically, I am in strong agreement with Tom’s initial post. Show up with a plan, think don’t plink, and be realistic about what your current level is. However, there can be different approaches for building new skill as opposed to benchmarking or maintaining current levels of skill.

Mid-week, I like to be free form, and experiment and see what I can learn about increasing my skill. I also like to change things up, so I am regularly shooting different target arrays.

Today, my wife and I set up a steel accelerator with three eight inch steel plates at 10, 18 and 25 yards, to work on seeing how fast we can shoot “A’s.” We also used partial targets to work on shooting on the move.

Here was our target set-up.

Name:  631CB5CA-5807-4518-BE1D-C7D710D91E20.jpg
Views: 473
Size:  98.7 KB

Lately, I have been experimenting with different amounts of skateboard tape on the pistol, and have discontinued using any. I have been using “White Gold,” made for rock climbers on my hands. In standard conditions (I use more over all of my hands in wet and cold conditions) I have been applying it just to the base of my support hand, as that gives support hand traction without degrading my draw.

Name:  8C25852B-6F01-44AB-B1BE-1E414CA42074.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  46.9 KB

Here are some excerpts from the practice sesssion, surfing the line between in and out of control.

Probably not the right thread to answer this in, but I have received questions about the specifics of my draw, how do I contact the pistol, is it a scoop draw, etc.

I consider a scoop draw unsuitable for defense or competition, because you are sacrificing control for some small increment of speed. What I do, is come up the holster body from below, hit the front strap with my fingers, AND wrap my thumb over the top of the slide to trap the pistol, and let my thumb slide down into a very high position. This is a screenshot from the video above, at the point I contact the pistol.

Name:  5C56B185-5006-458B-9E85-9619922F0EBD.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  57.8 KB

For me and my hands, this method requires a full size pistol. For something G26 size, or a G19 without an extended magazine, I need to come down from on top to get a good grip.

Something we like to do is keep changing the targets around, to keep the challenges fresh. This was what we set up today:

Name:  37EE67A0-630D-4BFF-BDEC-FCC15F1ADF92.jpg
Views: 562
    I'm curious how you use those Only shoot brown part?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    I'm curious how you use those Only shoot brown part?
    Black = Simulated hard cover. It’s a miss if the bullet is fully in the black - standard USPSA “metric” target.
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 08-29-2018 at 08:21 AM.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

TPC has a saying — “think don’t plink!” I go to the range with a plan, but sometimes that changes based on what happens during the session.

During a perfect week when I get to shoot most days, this is my general plan.

Monday — work on specific things that might have surfaced over the weekend at a match.

Mid-week, work on very difficult things that raise my overall skill level. Sometimes, this can be ugly.

Friday — shoot with perfect technique at match pace to build consistency and confidence.

Weekend — go shoot a bunch of A’s as fast as I can.
    Oh how I wish I could shoot nearly that often, not necessarily so I could get better, (although I certainly would) I just love to shoot.

Maybe when I retire...
    Guns are just machines and without you they can do no harm, nor any good

Site Supporter
    Probably not the right thread to answer this in, but I have received questions about the specifics of my draw, how do I contact the pistol, is it a scoop draw, etc.

I consider a scoop draw unsuitable for defense or competition, because you are sacrificing control for some small increment of speed. What I do, is come up the holster body from below, hit the front strap with my fingers, AND wrap my thumb over the top of the slide to trap the pistol, and let my thumb slide down into a very high position. This is a screenshot from the video above, at the point I contact the pistol.

Name:  5C56B185-5006-458B-9E85-9619922F0EBD.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  57.8 KB

For me and my hands, this method requires a full size pistol. For something G26 size, or a G19 without an extended magazine, I need to come down from on top to get a good grip.
    Whatever you do and however you do it to achieve grip on the draw, you do it fast as hell!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

User Tag List