Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Measurement vs "Practice"

Site Supporter

Measurement vs "Practice"

As I have mentioned before, I never go the range and “just shoot”. I always shoot timed/scored drills so I can accomplish several goals. They are:
    1. Check to see exactly where I am, this day, on my own personal skill curve;
    2. Measure specific skill sets and compare to a personal baseline;
    3. Look for any skill subset that needs remediation; and
    4. Compare gun/ammo/accessory combinations to others in a measured, meaningful way.

Today I had time to go to the range for about an hour, so I shot some specific drills on B-8 bullseye targets with my EDC Glock 17, worked over by Boresight Solutions. First thing, a cold skill check. The first ten rounds today were fired on the excellent “Five Yard Round-Up” drill. My cold run earned a score of 99 out of a possible 100. I then shot five iterations of this ten shot drill on the same target, for 50 rounds, and a possible score of 500. My composite score was 494 (98.8%), all under the time limits.

I then moved a B-8 to 10 yards and shot “The Test” four times on the same target. “The Test” is 10 rounds, at 10 yards, in 10 seconds. My times were running in the 7.0 to 8.5 second range, with my best time being 6.72 seconds. My composite score was 395 out of 400 (98.8% again).

I then fired some rounds on a silhouette target at 7 yards, working on Failure Drills and a few shoot/reload/shoot drills. In a bit over an hour I fired 200 rounds and accomplished my training goals for the day.

Next time you go to the range try this approach. Before you go, plan what to work on and pick some drills to measure your skill, including a scored drill shot cold, no warm-up, for score. This will give you a more accurate assessment of your on demand performance and maximize the benefit of your range trip.

Thanks for taking the time to post this, Tom. It’s very helpful.

Would you mind expanding on your change in EDC? The last time I trained with you, you were carrying a Glock 35. I am curious about your rationale for moving to a Glock 17.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    As I have mentioned before, I never go the range and “just shoot”. I always shoot timed/scored drills so I can accomplish several goals. They are:
    1. Check to see exactly where I am, this day, on my own personal skill curve;
    2. Measure specific skill sets and compare to a personal baseline;
    3. Look for any skill subset that needs remediation; and
    4. Compare gun/ammo/accessory combinations to others in a measured, meaningful way.

Today I had time to go to the range for about an hour, so I shot some specific drills on B-8 bullseye targets with my EDC Glock 17, worked over by Boresight Solutions. First thing, a cold skill check. The first ten rounds today were fired on the excellent “Five Yard Round-Up” drill. My cold run earned a score of 99 out of a possible 100. I then shot five iterations of this ten shot drill on the same target, for 50 rounds, and a possible score of 500. My composite score was 494 (98.8%), all under the time limits.

I then moved a B-8 to 10 yards and shot “The Test” four times on the same target. “The Test” is 10 rounds, at 10 yards, in 10 seconds. My times were running in the 7.0 to 8.5 second range, with my best time being 6.72 seconds. My composite score was 395 out of 400 (98.8% again).

I then fired some rounds on a silhouette target at 7 yards, working on Failure Drills and a few shoot/reload/shoot drills. In a bit over an hour I fired 200 rounds and accomplished my training goals for the day.

Next time you go to the range try this approach. Before you go, plan what to work on and pick some drills to measure your skill, including a scored drill shot cold, no warm-up, for score. This will give you a more accurate assessment of your on demand performance and maximize the benefit of your range trip.
    Hopefully not too stupid of a question, but why repeat the drill so many times? Like to get your thoughts on this. I generally do a drill twice, perhaps three times then move on to another drill.

JW
    Last edited by Pit; 08-20-2018 at 09:37 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Pit View Post
    Hopefully not too stupid of a question, but why repeat the drill so many times? Like to get your thoughts on this. I generally do a drill twice, perhaps three times then move on to another drill.

JW
    I don't like to judge a skill based on one run. That run may have been better or worse than the norm. People tend to only remember their best performance on a drill, rather than what they can do more than once.

I am also working on consistency on the skills I selected to work on in that range trip. In this range trip, I basically worked on four skill sets, each repeated several times for retention of the skills.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BJJ View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to post this, Tom. It’s very helpful.

Would you mind expanding on your change in EDC? The last time I trained with you, you were carrying a Glock 35. I am curious about your rationale for moving to a Glock 17.
    My hands are all fucked up. I've already had to have surgery on my right hand. The switch to 9mm was largely to extend the service life of my hands.

My hands are all fucked up. I've already had to have surgery on my right hand. The switch to 9mm was largely to extend the service life of my hands.
    I wish you much luck in the extension of your service life! We need you to keep on doing what you do.
    My comments have not been approved by my employer and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer. These are my comments, not my employer's.

I don't like to judge a skill based on one run. That run may have been better or worse than the norm. People tend to only remember their best performance on a drill, rather than what they can do more than once.

I am also working on consistency on the skills I selected to work on in that range trip. In this range trip, I basically worked on four skill sets, each repeated several times for retention of the skills.
    Thanks Tom. Makes sense.

JW
    Last edited by Pit; 08-20-2018 at 10:00 PM.

Tom,

What is the five yard round up?

Thank you

TPC has a saying — “think don’t plink!” I go to the range with a plan, but sometimes that changes based on what happens during the session.

During a perfect week when I get to shoot most days, this is my general plan.

Monday — work on specific things that might have surfaced over the weekend at a match.

Mid-week, work on very difficult things that raise my overall skill level. Sometimes, this can be ugly.

Friday — shoot with perfect technique at match pace to build consistency and confidence.

Weekend — go shoot a bunch of A’s as fast as I can.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List