Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My Finished 642 and gear.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Nice. I'd love to mill my 442 for a tritium FS. Just doesn't make enough sense financially. If I had a mill and the knowledge to use it... I'd probably feel differently

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Nice. I'd love to mill my 442 for a tritium FS. Just doesn't make enough sense financially. If I had a mill and the knowledge to use it... I'd probably feel differently
    Buy a file, Dremel and a case of beer.

You'll figure it out

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    Best I can do holding the revolver in one hand and a cellphone in the other.... Wait that's a new training drill....

Attachment 29344
    Is that the dril to help ensure you get sweet video of your CONUS kill for the ‘gram ? ;-)

When it’s time to shoot, shoot, don’t talk.

More on point, how much shooting have you down with this ? I had a 640 with this sight set up years ago and the raised front sight picture drove me nuts.

I like my 340 M&P with big dot and matching u notch but this set up just didn’t work for me.
    Last edited by HCM; 08-22-2018 at 01:09 AM.

holster

Quote Originally Posted by MDFA View Post
    The pocket holsters are a Galco 158 I've had for years and a Uncle Mikes #3. The Kydex AIWB is one I made.
    I prefer this type of holster when I carry IWB-especially AIWB as there's very minimal bulk. I like the Bianchi 6D and 6D ATB (adjustable thumb break). My absolute favorite carry method with my, unfortunately stock, 642 is the versa-carry holster... I bought it several years ago and thought it was junk so I tossed it in the back of my safe. A couple years ago I decided I needed to put the 642 back in the rotation but I didn't want to pocket carry it anymore. I pulled out the versacarry and put it to use AIWB and fell in love.

That said you have a fine example of a 642 there!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay23 View Post
    I’ll send you mine if you want to practice.
    If you were closer I'd do it for you. The shipping costs and sights would be half the cost of a new J-frame, so I'd recommend this instead

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post

You'll figure it out
    Seriously, if you do it with a file you should be OK. It doesn't have to be +/- .001" and nobody will ever see it again once you glue the new sight on.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I used jewelers files, regular files and a dremel for larger areas. It's not that hard if you take your time. A magnified work light really helps too.

And the Beer is for after the job is finished.
    Be Aware-Stay Safe. Gunfighting Is A Thinking Man's Game. So We Might Want To Bring Thinking Back Into It.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Seriously, if you do it with a file you should be OK. It doesn't have to be +/- .001" and nobody will ever see it again once you glue the new sight on.
    When I did my 638 I had a friend with a mill help, and it was more trouble getting it clamped tight enough to hold a chip and not tweak anything was a challenge and concern. I still ended up cleaning it up with a file, but then I stippled it a little to cover up the file marks:
    Name:  638 XS.JPG
Views: 491
Size:  26.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    When I started my 637 with files it was simple, but I needed a few of the beers in order to build up my mojo and make the first cuts. Then got it to this point and decided I had had enough beer I should wait till later to finish it up. I really do need to finish it up...
    Name:  637.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  29.7 KB

ETA: I got the 637 for about $275 after rebate, the value of the things right now makes it a little easier to dive in with the files. Like if I totally screw it up it will only be worth $200 when I am done?...
    Last edited by mmc45414; 08-22-2018 at 07:19 AM.

I am curious would you begin with a 642 or a 442 if you were going to do this project from scratch? I am almost to the point of purchasing a new air weight and was seriously considering a 442 because it would be darker in my pocket. I then thought about the fact that the 642 finish may look nicer once filed.

If you can find either option in a "no lock," do it. Otherwise it's totally preference . I personally prefer the 642, the finish on both will get ugly, at least the grey on aluminum stands out less.

I just finished mine the other day. It took me about 35 minutes start to finish...

If you take your time it'll turn out better lol

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

User Tag List