Thread: Setting up a Mossberg 500 as a HD Shotgun

Setting up a Mossberg 500 as a HD Shotgun

There seems to be quite a bit here for the 870, so I’m looking for info regarding the 500.

I’ve got a 500A setup as a sporting clays gun and I’ve come to really like it for that purpose. I’d like to get one setup for home defense. I can snag a used one for around $200. I already have the Magpul foreend, but I’m looking for other accoutrements for it.

It sounds like rifle sights are the better way to go, so what is recommended for that on a 500?

I’m looking at getting the Magpul SGA for it, so that should be sufficient.

What kind of side saddle works for these?

I was thinking about picking up an X300U to mount to the Magpul foreend. It strikes me as a good balance of usable light and switchology on a shotgun for ambi use. Good idea or is something else a better idea?

Also, Magpul foreend good to go? I may have that part, but the action slide tube on a standard 500A is too short, so I’d have to get the 590 part. Which apparently runs $90 or better. Worth it or is a better mount preferable?

Was thinking a Vicker’s padded sling, but I’m open to suggestions.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

This is the best non surefire light source method to mount a light.
    https://www.primaryarms.com/rs-produ...hotguns-bm-12g

But I would recommend a 590a1 and a surefire forend with a vtac sling.
    Attachment 29309
    Last edited by 03RN; 08-20-2018 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    This is the best non surefire light source method to mount a light.
    https://www.primaryarms.com/rs-produ...hotguns-bm-12g

But I would recommend a 590a1 and a surefire forend with a vtac sling.
    Attachment 29309
    Do you have the BM-12G clamped to your barrel or the mag extension? Where does the front of the sling attach?

On a 500 I would first look into replacing the follower, magazine spring, and if the safety if it isn't a metal unit. Those are substandard parts from the factory.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    On a 500 I would first look into replacing the follower, magazine spring, and if the safety if it isn't a metal unit. Those are substandard parts from the factory.

X2

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    This is the replacement safety button I’ve used. I found the original plastic button to be slippery, especially with gloves.
    https://www.brownells.com/shotgun-pa...prod26966.aspx

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    The stock safety on some guns has a bad habit of spontaneously engaging if you work the action vigorously...so you want to replace it with an aftermarket unit.

Head to about 5:30 to see it happening.
    Last edited by TCinVA; 08-21-2018 at 06:25 AM.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    The stock safety on some guns has a bad habit of spontaneously engaging if you work the action vigorously...so you want to replace it with an aftermarket unit.

Head to about 5:30 to see it happening.
    I generally like his videos but I found that one to be mostly useless. They probably could have just tightened the screw down.

That's the only time I've ever seen that happening and outside of the 590s Ive personally been issued and owned I've run classes with beat to shit 500s and 590s in 2 third world countries where I swear their guns were held together with bailing wire.
    Last edited by 03RN; 08-21-2018 at 08:12 AM.

Oils and Lotions SME
    I'll camp on and agree with mag spring and follower upgrades being a cheap and very useful upgrade.

The Aluminum follower in a high visibility color is a good choice.

https://www.brownells.com/shotgun-pa...ake_3=Mossberg

The safeties on the Mossbergs should be upgraded to the Vang piece for 2 reasons, one the stock safety can engage due to inertia as Tim mentioned above, also because the stock safeties have an occasional habit of flying off of the gun.

https://www.brownells.com/shotgun-pa...prod19517.aspx

The Surefire forend is the single best solution to mounting a light on the 500/590 with significant margin. A light on a home defense gun is almost a no-brainer, just do it. Gotta have that threat identification and verification.
    Hokey religions and ancient lubricants are no match for a good Group IV PAO

Owner 360 Performance Shooting

For HD I really think a 18.5 inch barrel with a beed sight is great. I prefer low recoil buckshot and velcro side saddle shell carriers. Pace off some distances in your home and then set up some targets on a flat range at those distances and try out a beed sight with low recoil buckshot. If you have the magpul fore-end then attaching a light will be easy. Nothing wrong with rifle sights and or ghost ring sights, they're all good. Mike Lamb has some good shotgun videos on how to setup your gun.
    Last edited by Sammy1; 08-21-2018 at 10:23 AM.

User Tag List