Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Remington Sluggers in 12 gauge a viable load for LE/self defense?

Are Remington Sluggers in 12 gauge a viable load for LE/self defense?

In reading around the forum I have gathered that most Foster style slugs are poor choices for LE work or self defense. Most of the Foster slugs seem to have a hollow point and flatten out very quickly.

I've also read a few posts where people have mentioned that the Remington Slugger 1oz 12 Gauge slug performs better due to its lack of a deep hollow point.

Are Remington Sluggers in 12 gauge viable load for LE/self defense? Or is it better to just stick to the Brenneke slugs and Federal Tru-Ball Deep Penetrators?

Thanks.

I was issued either Winchester or federal slugs. Both had deep hollow points. There is nothing south of a 50 that drops people faster.

Now that I can use what I want and was able to Cull deer at a nursery for almost 10 years I can't say there is much different between the Remington, Winchester, and federal foster slugs on deer under 180lbs.

If I was hunting bear I would prefer the Remington. I'm not sure if they penatrate more in the real world. The 3 typically pass through deer unless both shoulders are hit but the lack of a hollow point would make me think it would.

Fwiw I prefer federal deep penatrating true ball slugs for hunting. Brenekes would get the nod but federals are cheaper, as accurate, and penatrate as deep.

Just my anecdotal experience.

The Remington 12-gauge 'Slugger' 2 3/4'' one-ounce slug was, and is still, issued to this day by the agency from which I retired. We've had a handful of OISs involving the load with no failures so far and all of the 'good guys' went home in one piece.

The Remington 12-gauge 'Slugger' 2 3/4'' one-ounce slug is tested here in 10% ordnance gelatin-

-with the following results:

12 Gauge Remington Slugger 2 3/4" 1-ounce rifled slug (#20300) vs 10% gelatin
    Impact Velocity = 1595 fps
    Penetration Depth = 12.5 inches
    Expanded Diameter = 1.168 inch
    Distance to target = 10 feet

Judge for yourself....
    Last edited by the Schwartz; 08-20-2018 at 12:51 PM.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

An additional concern of mine is performance after penetrating barriers such as auto glass and sheet metal.

Site Supporter
    What is it that you are wanting the slug to do? How important is barrier penetration?

I’ve used Sluggers for years. I’ve always found them to be very accurate. Never shot anything loving with them, but I’ve shot a lot of appliances, old washing machines, range hoods, a few trees. Those things can penetrate. In a CQB setting I’d take a 14in 12ga loaded with 00 or sluggers over any AR.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cereal View Post
    Never shot anything loving with them, but I’ve shot a lot of appliances, old washing machines, range hoods, a few trees.
    Have to immortalize that quote before you get to edit.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Have to immortalize that quote before you get to edit.
    Damn autocorrect on the iPhone. Gets you every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cereal View Post
    Damn autocorrect on the iPhone. Gets you every time!
    I know right? Why do slugs kick so much more than buckshot? Or so it sure seems to me. Not magnum slugs just even standard to standard pressure.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I know right? Why do slugs kick so much more than buckshot? Or so it sure seems to me. Not magnum slugs just even standard to standard pressure.
    I have to look it up, but my best guess is internal ballistic differences. Slugs have more bearing surface on the bore and probably create more pressure at the muzzle than buckshot, even though the projectile mass is the same. Also, a lot of buckshot is low(er) recoil ~1300fps or low(est) recoil ~1150fps than slugs which can run anywhere from 1300-1600fps. Just my best guess.

User Tag List