Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How to demo advantages of gripping the carbine forearm vs mag well

Also worth remembering that if there's a kaboom (case failure, barrel blockage, overpressure load) it will blow down the magazine well onto gripping fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post

So yes, by your bullet points searching through your sights is not necessarily faster in the real world, it can make it more difficult to detect the target, ID it, and determine if you have the necessary elements present to use deadly physical force. It is often sold as a "ready position", and on a timer on a square range it is fast, but when What/Who/Why you shoot is just as important as how you shoot, I see real disadvantages.

pat
    I've trained under some guys who were from the same background as Paul Howe and was taught that low ready/interview position is is in reference to the target, not a fixed position in reference to your body like High Port. Low Ready was taught as Carbine shouldered, safety on, finger indexed, muzzle positioned to allow full view of hand/torso/face.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    I've trained under some guys who were from the same background as Paul Howe and was taught that low ready/interview position is is in reference to the target, not a fixed position in reference to your body like High Port. Low Ready was taught as Carbine shouldered, safety on, finger indexed, muzzle positioned to allow full view of hand/torso/face.
    We are in agreement....when you have a target. While searching I bounce between Low Ready for some danger areas and what some are calling an Indoor Ready or Stack position, and even will drop into a sort of carbine sul occasionally, where I lay the carbine so the muzzle is outside and forward of my support knee (or depending on my poition and surroundings even flat on my body with the muzzle straight down between my feet) and the toe of the stock still in the shoulder. While searching I keep the toe of the butt to the shoulder, strong hand on the pistol grip, and support hand generally stays way out on the forearm unless having to manipulate something, and the muzzle can be firmly controlled throughout an arc from outside and forward of my support knee to on target, even into some of the high ready positions and muzzle up carries without removing my hands. I am sure there is a better, more accurate name but I can't find it right now in my notes.

SGM Lamb does not really adress it in his book Green Eyes and Black Rifles, but there are several pics of him as I describe. Even if you classify it as a transitional position (which I would infer from the pictures) while searching I am transitioning my eyes, head, muzzle, and toes from danger area to danger area, and being able to move from position to position is less taxing, for me at least. Holding on a specific danger area (doorway, window, hallway, etc) gets the low ready as you describe. Good guys in front of me and I go to Indoor Ready, or Sul. All very fluid and situational. I have seen a lot of other instructors doing it, if not teaching it.

I think I started doing it while teaching various classes and wanting to show good muzzle discipline while talking, and then moving to demo, and moving back to address students. It just worked, so I kept it.

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 09-04-2018 at 12:45 PM.

yep. Sounds like we do things much the same when moving. Some variants of different training, a lot of flat stock technique.

User Tag List