Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: How to demo advantages of gripping the carbine forearm vs mag well

Ok, that does sound like a bit much. I had to look into this a bit more since I was remembering it as more. I dug up target pics from either Nationals this year or the practice before Nationals. We were shooting through barricade ports and putting a lot of bodyweight on the guns to stabilize our position as much as possible. It was moving the impact 3-4 inches at 100 yards.
    These pictures aren't mine, they are from my teammate that won the match. So, I was off, maybe an inch or close to that at 25 yards is possible. Crappy guns, medicore ammo, and imperfect shooters add a lot of variables.
    I have my work upper here, I might try to run some tests and see how much it actually does affect it. Maybe hanging weight from the barrel or handguard?

Also, Mk18 and other short stiff barrels are much less susceptible compared to a 20" A4. From what I've read, people say it doesn't matter if you free float or not on shorties.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Double post and I can’t get rid off the extra attachments.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by CalmlyDeMented; 08-23-2018 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Double post

A ton of info on the impact shift that makes me seem less crazy:
    https://www.lightfighter.net/topic/a...d-impact-shift

Quote Originally Posted by CalmlyDeMented View Post
    Ok, that does sound like a bit much. I had to look into this a bit more since I was remembering it as more. I dug up target pics from either Nationals this year or the practice before Nationals. We were shooting through barricade ports and putting a lot of bodyweight on the guns to stabilize our position as much as possible. It was moving the impact 3-4 inches at 100 yards.
    These pictures aren't mine, they are from my teammate that won the match. So, I was off, maybe an inch or close to that at 25 yards is possible. Crappy guns, medicore ammo, and imperfect shooters add a lot of variables.
    I have my work upper here, I might try to run some tests and see how much it actually does affect it. Maybe hanging weight from the barrel or handguard?

Also, Mk18 and other short stiff barrels are much less susceptible compared to a 20" A4. From what I've read, people say it doesn't matter if you free float or not on shorties.
    Are you guys tilting (canting) the rifle when you shoot the barricades?

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Are you guys tilting (canting) the rifle when you shoot the barricades?
    On some matches you have to shoot through a rectangular port in the middle of the board or on the ground. Both require you to cant the rifle to see your sights. Some you shoot off the side or off the top of the barricade. At the Winston P. Wilson, which is Nationals for us, the big match is made up of around 14 or 15 smaller matches. Some are rifle only, some pistol only and some you shoot both. Our team won all but 2 of those, so i’d Like to think we have a few things figured out. It’s a constant learning experience, but we did win All-Army this year also, and the last two regionals. So I’m not talking completely out of my ass... some of the time anyway I hope. Just trying to impart some lessons learned.
    Last edited by CalmlyDeMented; 08-23-2018 at 09:16 PM.

On some matches you have to shoot through a rectangular port in the middle of the board or on the ground. Both require you to cant the rifle to see your sights. Some you shoot off the side or off the top of the barricade. At the Winston P. Wilson, which is Nationals for us, the big match is made up of around 14 or 15 smaller matches. Some are rifle only, some pistol only and some you shoot both. Our team won all but 2 of those, so i’d Like to think we have a few things figured out. It’s a constant learning experience, but we did win All-Army this year also, and the last two regionals. So I’m not talking completely out of my ass... some of the time anyway I hope. Just trying to impart some lessons learned.
    My brother competed in some of those matches a couple of years ago with the ANG...he enjoyed it a lot...who wouldn't!

Though the main focus of my initial post was use of a carbine in SRM situations, it's been interesting learning about other types of shooting in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    My brother competed in some of those matches a couple of years ago with the ANG...he enjoyed it a lot...who wouldn't!

Though the main focus of my initial post was use of a carbine in SRM situations, it's been interesting learning about other types of shooting in this thread.
    Awesome! Yeah, the ANG always has some great shooters. You can't beat getting paid to shoot! Sorry to detail the thread. I'll shut up now.

Barricades are like a VTAC board that is cut in half so it isn’t as tall. So either shooting over the top or shooting through the ports you want the gun as far forward as possible. Just pretty much wedge it in there with the mag on the board and the delta ring taking most of the pressure. With you leaning into it, it’s like loading a bipod: more stable and controls recoil for follow up shots.
    I know you are talking matches, but what exactly is the guy downrange in real life doing as you stick your rifle through the port all the way to the magwell?

Grew up hunting rabbits. I noticed all of us kids gripped our .22 rifles as far forward on the forearms as we could. Trying to track a rabbit with a rifle gripped under the action was purt near impossible.

That said, this is how it goes in real life-
    Last edited by MistWolf; 08-24-2018 at 02:59 AM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Grew up hunting rabbits. I noticed all of us kids gripped our .22 rifles as far forward on the forearms as we could. Trying to track a rabbit with a rifle gripped under the action was purt near impossible.

That said, this is how it ...
    The only problem I have with that is yes, that position is tiring, and an alternative may be necessary. I have a hard time teaching cops not to search from that position with handguns, shotguns, or rifles. If I only had a dollar for every time I have had to tell a cop to get the gun out of their face so they could see... Dynamic entries on known single family dwellings, ok, I can see that, with reservations. But target ID is stil the critical first step in the engagement process. And a lower, more relaxed (not relaxed) search position is vital to scan a potential threat: overall, hands, waistband, immediate wingspan and compliance/behavior. To quote Uncle Pat, " it is not about shooting, it is about fighting with a carbine", and fighting requires constant sensory input and thought, followed by appropriate decisions and action.

Slower? Yup. Less tiring? Yup. More time to process and decide? Yup. It all depends on priorities.

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 08-24-2018 at 02:14 PM.

User Tag List