Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Game Modding a Glock for Carry Optics, maybe Production

Last Friday, I received a Gen 5 Glock 34 back from JohnnyGlock, who did his custom magic, that resulted in perhaps the best Glock trigger I have felt. I had a match this weekend, and eagerly awaited today, so I could ring it out at the range. I was prepared to make this my new lead CO pistol.

Despite my expectations, by the end of the session, I realized continue to shoot a Gen 4 34 better on the timer, even though this new pistol has a better trigger. My theory is the Gen 4 finger grooves allow me to control the pistol better. I am disappointed as there are a number of things I prefer about the Gen 5 — like the big magwell, forward serrations, accuracy, and vigorous extraction.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Last Friday, I received a Gen 5 Glock 34 back from JohnnyGlock, who did his custom magic, that resulted in perhaps the best Glock trigger I have felt. I had a match this weekend, and eagerly awaited today, so I could ring it out at the range. I was prepared to make this my new lead CO pistol.

Despite my expectations, by the end of the session, I realized continue to shoot a Gen 4 34 better on the timer, even though this new pistol has a better trigger. My theory is the Gen 4 finger grooves allow me to control the pistol better. I am disappointed as there are a number of things I prefer about the Gen 5 — like the big magwell, forward serrations, accuracy, and vigorous extraction.
    I wonder if there is a grip guru who can add finger grooves to a gen 5? I’m also one of those people who actually fit the finger grooves on gen 3&4 17’s and 26’s.

How many more rounds do you have on the Gen 4? Subtle hand positioning differences and more rounds may make up most of the time differences for you.

I also think that if the times are close within a certain percentage the accuracy gains coupled with the larger magwell of the Gen 5 may save you time and points overall. Missed/snagged reloads are huge time sucks, at least they are for me. Testing the Gen 5 in several matches to get a sample size of scores may make the decision for you.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 11-18-2019 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Posting with a phone, lots of mistakes
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    How many more rounds do you have on the Gen 4? Subtle hand positioning differences and more rounds may make up most of the time differences for you.

I also think that if the times are close within a certain percentage the accuracy gains coupled with the larger magwell or the Gen 5 may save you times and points overall. Missed/snagged reloads are huge time sucks, at least they are for me. Testing the Gen 5 in a match or five may make the decision for you.
    In the last year or so, I have many more rounds on Gen 5 pistols than Gen 4.

Intellectually, a year or so back I decided the Gen 5 pistols were better and put all my Gen 4 pistols away. It was pure chance I ended up pulling one out, due to optic issues, but the timer seems to know more than my intellectual analysis. I am not suggesting anyone follow my preference, although I do think it is worth examining for yourself, since competition is designed to magnify tiny differences that would likely be insignificant on da streetz.

Intellectually, a year or so back I decided the Gen 5 pistols were better and put all my Gen 4 pistols away. It was pure chance I ended up pulling one out, due to optic issues, but the timer seems to know more than my intellectual analysis. I am not suggesting anyone follow my preference, although I do think it is worth examining for yourself, since competition is designed to magnify tiny differences that would likely be insignificant on da streetz.
    That is very interesting. My apologies, I should have suspected that you would have tested it thoroughly. Based on your posts, you don’t do anything half assed at all.

I switch back and forth between a Gen 5 and a Gen 2 and other than accuracy at distance, I don’t see much of a time difference between the two, except I hang up reloads more on the Gen 2, which, when it happens, costs me dearly.

I did just picked up a low round count Gen 4 G19 to be a test mule in a KPOS Scout. I may have to take it out of the carbine and run it for a bit. I don’t have much time on Gen 4’s but have quite a bit of time on Gen 3’s.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 11-18-2019 at 08:57 PM.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

That is very interesting. My apologies, I should have suspected that you would have tested it thoroughly. Based on your posts, you don’t do anything half assed at all.

I switch back and forth between a Gen 5 and a Gen 2 and other than accuracy at distance, I don’t see much of a time difference between the two, except I hang up reloads more on the Gen 2, which, when it happens, costs me dearly.

I did just picked up a low round count Gen 4 G19 to be a test mule in a KPOS Scout. I may have to take it out of the carbine and run it for a bit. I don’t have much time on Gen 4’s but have quite a bit of time on Gen 3’s.
    I do a lot of half assed things.

Since I am running a GlockStore Tungsten heavy guide rod with a 15 pound recoil spring on both G4 and G5 34 pistols, and they have the same texture, the likely differences are finger grooves and perhaps trigger geometry. I lean towards the finger grooves as the explanation.

Theoretically, and we know how misleading that can be, wouldn’t finger grooves that fit you, offer more surface area to counteract recoil with your dominant hand?

Site Supporter
    GJM - I thought you were competing with the Legion?

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    GJM - I thought you were competing with the Legion?
    My wife is and loves it. I tried for three months and could never get comfortable with it.

Theoretically, and we know how misleading that can be, wouldn’t finger grooves that fit you, offer more surface area to counteract recoil with your dominant hand?
    Yeah, that sounds like a reasonable hypothesis. Finger grooves on Glocks don’t bother me at all and suit my hand quite well. I know that is not the case for many, which is why they removed them on the Gen 5.
    --

I also think that if the times are close within a certain percentage the accuracy gains coupled with the larger magwell of the Gen 5 may save you time and points overall. Missed/snagged reloads are huge time sucks, at least they are for me. Testing the Gen 5 in several matches to get a sample size of scores may make the decision for you.

I do a lot of half assed things.

Since I am running a GlockStore Tungsten heavy guide rod with a 15 pound recoil spring on both G4 and G5 34 pistols, and they have the same texture, the likely differences are finger grooves and perhaps trigger geometry. I lean towards the finger grooves as the explanation.

Yeah, that sounds like a reasonable hypothesis. Finger grooves on Glocks don’t bother me at all and suit my hand quite well. I know that is not the case for many, which is why they removed them on the Gen 5.
    This kind of back and forth is great (although maybe I'm hijacking the thread), as it touches on concepts I find very interesting regarding improvements in an individual aspect that is easily measured (accuracy) vs improvements in overall performance that is less easily measured (match performance) because there are too many variables but also because we start to try and measure intangibles (missed reloads, for example).

thanks for the posts/discussion guys!

User Tag List