Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Game Modding a Glock for Carry Optics, maybe Production

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post

...The above photo illustrates clearly how much contact this portion of the hand has on that part of the gun. I really notice how squirrelly the gun is in my hands when I don’t have grip tape applied in this area. For a competition gun, I consider friction in this area critical for recoil control. Of course my grip and hands are unique to me, but I suspect many others would benefit from grip tape in this area.
    Cool, thanks.

So your support hand grip is that far forward? Huh. Interesting, thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Cool, thanks.

So your support hand grip is that far forward? Huh. Interesting, thanks again.
    It’s not really that far forward. I have really long fingers, but just a large size hand, so it makes it harder for me to get support hand contact on the back strap portion of the grip. This is why having a lot of friction where I place the grip tape it is so important to me.

"Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    This is my current CO pistol.

Gen 4 Glock 34 with the following mods.

GlockStore Thug brass grip plug

GlockStore pure Tungsten 34 length guide rod with 15 pound spring

JohnnyGlock trigger system

Tyrant magazine release

Sig Romeo 3 Max optic with C More MOS plate for the RTS 2

Taran Tactical 140mm extensions

Federal Syntech 150 ammo

33.45 ounces unloaded weight with unloaded magazine.
    I don’t know what all of those words mean so you may have posted and I missed it, but I’m assuming that is not an MOS model? If not, who did the slide cut and would you recommend them?

I ask because I’m hoping to get back into pistol games and have been eyeing a G5 Glock 34 and may start out shooting Production again but may want to switch to Carry Optics, so I’m wondering if I should get the MOS to make that easier or just assume I can get the slide cut later if I want to go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I don’t know what all of those words mean so you may have posted and I missed it, but I’m assuming that is not an MOS model? If not, who did the slide cut and would you recommend them?

I ask because I’m hoping to get back into pistol games and have been eyeing a G5 Glock 34 and may start out shooting Production again but may want to switch to Carry Optics, so I’m wondering if I should get the MOS to make that easier or just assume I can get the slide cut later if I want to go that route.
    It is a MOS, and I would recommend that to maintain optics flexibility.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    That’s actually a really good question, and I took photos last week in anticipation of a post that I never got around to.

It’s for the abductor muscle (I think that is what it’s called) of my support hand. It drives me crazy that gun manufacturers don’t texture this area as it is an important contact point for a thumbs forward grip. To illustrate this last week, I put brand new skate tape on my new Gen 5.

This:

This was my hand after 250 rounds:

The above photo illustrates clearly how much contact this portion of the hand has on that part of the gun. I really notice how squirrelly the gun is in my hands when I don’t have grip tape applied in this area. For a competition gun, I consider friction in this area critical for recoil control. Of course my grip and hands are unique to me, but I suspect many others would benefit from grip tape in this area.
    Do you have problems with the tape moving? If I have a long practice session the tape starts to move around. This help my shooting more than any aftermarket trigger I have tried.

Here it is, pretty basic, but it gives up nothing to more expensive competition guns. I should note that I have long fingers so I have no need for an extended slide or mag release. But I can see those being a benefit for those with smaller hands.

That is interesting. What I do is apply pressure in the area of the backstrap pin, using TPC’s quarter panel technique.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    That is interesting. What I do is apply pressure in the area of the backstrap pin, using TPC’s quarter panel technique.
    I have read your description of that but never really understood it.are you making contact with the same part of your hand from the pictures above?

Quote Originally Posted by wmu12071 View Post
    I have read your description of that but never really understood it.are you making contact with the same part of your hand from the pictures above?
    I think we are trying to accomplish the same thing, and I agree that besides recoil control, it helps a lot with trigger.

To understand TPC’s concept of “quarter panel,” look at a flat surface like a table. If you slide your hand across it, you will note adding friction, like tape, to the surface helps. If you come off the top of the table and catch just the edge of the table, it will anchor your hand without adding friction, and in their opinion, more efficiently and effectively.

Different pistols lend themselves more or less to the quarter panel technique, and in this regard, the Glock works fairly well. Something very rounded like a PPQ, not so well. You need just a bit of purchase on the back of the pistol to anchor it.

LGS has a Glock 34 in the rental inventory. Thinking of giving it a whirl.

Any potential issues in shooting that size gun by a guy w M hands?

This would (possibly) be a reward for making C class in USPSA P.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    LGS has a Glock 34 in the rental inventory. Thinking of giving it a whirl.

Any potential issues in shooting that size gun by a guy w M hands?

This would (possibly) be a reward for making C class in USPSA P.
    Same as G17 grip should be no issue.

User Tag List