Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Game Modding a Glock for Carry Optics, maybe Production

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Honestly you really don't need much.

Need:
    OEM Extended Mag Catch
    Sights (I prefer TTI or Dawson, F/O front with black rear)
    Grip plug that is blended enough to make a ramp
    Mag extensions for carry optics - I haven't tried the magpul 21 round mags, but I've got Dawson +5/6 extensions that work well

Preference:
    4.5-5.0# Striker Spring
    Minus Connector
    Aftermarket guide rod (stainless steel or tungsten) with 14-15# spring. Make sure it passes the vertical slide return to battery test (hold the trigger to the rear, cycle the slide, and slowly guide it back into battery with the gun pointed up at the ceiling). My gen4 and 5's do not with a 13# or less recoil spring and a 5.0# striker spring.

If you do much else you really start to risk reliability.
    Have you found the guns to fail to cycle in live fire when they don't return by VSRTBT or rather when do they start to fail? I have been using the 13# with a well worn factory striker spring that fails the test, but has not had issues during live fire. I plan to replace the striker spring for next season and want to anticipate any issues (and save on shipping for a damn spring ).

I replace the 13#ers often and general keep my match gun well lubed.
    Last edited by Artemas2; 11-15-2019 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Can you use a tungsten guide rod in production?

The interpretation
    of production rules seems to change regularly but I think the answer is "yes, as long as you make the weight".
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemas2 View Post
    Have you found the guns to fail to cycle in live fire when they don't return by VSRTBT or rather when do they start to fail? I have been using the 13# with a well worn factory striker spring that fails the test, but has not had issues during live fire. I plan to replace the striker spring for next season and want to anticipate any issues (and save on shipping for a damn spring ).

I replace the 13#ers often and general keep my match gun well lubed.
    I have occasionally with a compromised grip, like shooting weak hand only around a wall or barricade.

Instead of dumping money into a Gen 4, I would just buy a Gen 5. They are measurably more accurate than prior generations, have a huge magwell and decent triggers out of the box. The only real mods you need are grip tape on the upper side panels, a set of sights to your liking, and to clean up the trigger as much as is allowed for your division.

Gen 5’s make excellent competition guns with very little modification out of the box. Will post a pic of my competition Gen 5 when I get home.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    Instead of dumping money into a Gen 4, I would just buy a Gen 5. They are measurably more accurate than prior generations, have a huge magwell and decent triggers out of the box. The only real mods you need are grip tape on the upper side panels, a set of sights to your liking, and to clean up the trigger as much as is allowed for your division.

Gen 5’s make excellent competition guns with very little modification out of the box. Will post a pic of my competition Gen 5 when I get home.
    As someone who wasted money “dotting” a Gen 4, I strongly agree.

I am currently a D shooter in P. I have two C class classifiers, and am working on consistency. But, to be honest, most of my match and/classifier score results from 1) mental errors (generally Mikes), 2) not putting holes in everything that needs a hole and 3) putting holes in things that do not need a hole. Frankly unless/until you can avoid 1) 2) and 3), modifying a gun that qualifies for Production in USPSA is probably a waste of time.

Still, hasn't stopped me fiddling around with my Gen 5 19.

- Overwatch Precision TAC aluminum trigger - I like the flat face of this trigger, a lot. For me at least, the standard trigger safety shoe in Glocks digs into my index finger. I find the flat face also produces less "shake" in dry practice. I attribute my gains in accuracy this season at least partly due to being able to press the trigger back "straighter" using this trigger.

https://overwatchprecision.com/tac/

- Glock Store "Thug Plug" - This is a brass coated insert for the grip frame. I find the added 2 or so ounces seems to "balance" the gun against the steel slide. And adds a bit of heft.

https://www.glockstore.com/Thug-Plug

- Glock OEM extended slide release - This helps to "hit" the slide release. There is a small dimple on each side (my Gen 5) offering more purchase when releasing/locking the slide.

https://www.glockparts.com/custom/GLSP47249.htm

- Glock Extended Magazine Release - @GJM suggested me one of these. They do help, especially on my size M hands.

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...prod22998.aspx

Sights are a personal choice, right now I've been using a stock height, all black, rear and a couple different fronts, both at 0.180". Currently running a Dawson FO (just installed) but over the past year plus I had an Ameriglo Pro-Glo, in orange, also at 0.180" (I like a "put dot over target and press" sight picture.)
    Last edited by RJ; 11-16-2019 at 06:36 PM.

Here it is, pretty basic, but it gives up nothing to more expensive competition guns. I should note that I have long fingers so I have no need for an extended slide or mag release. But I can see those being a benefit for those with smaller hands.

"Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

This is my current CO pistol.

Gen 4 Glock 34 with the following mods.

GlockStore Thug brass grip plug

GlockStore pure Tungsten 34 length guide rod with 15 pound spring

JohnnyGlock trigger system

Tyrant magazine release

Sig Romeo 3 Max optic with C More MOS plate for the RTS 2

Taran Tactical 140mm extensions

Federal Syntech 150 ammo

33.45 ounces unloaded weight with unloaded magazine.

Name:  7FDB6A2B-56BC-412B-9503-7DAFE19C6C81.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  42.9 KB

Name:  FC381092-55DC-4DEC-AAD6-84499B9DFAF6.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  49.7 KB
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    Here it is, pretty basic, but it gives up nothing to more expensive competition guns.
    Clobb - Is that patch of grip tape for your (right) thumb? Just curious about it. I assume that is to give a bit more purchase in that area and stabilize the gun in recoil?

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Clobb - Is that patch of grip tape for your (right) thumb? Just curious about it. I assume that is to give a bit more purchase in that area and stabilize the gun in recoil?
    That’s actually a really good question, and I took photos last week in anticipation of a post that I never got around to.

It’s for the abductor muscle (I think that is what it’s called) of my support hand. It drives me crazy that gun manufacturers don’t texture this area as it is an important contact point for a thumbs forward grip. To illustrate this last week, I put brand new skate tape on my new Gen 5.

This:

This was my hand after 250 rounds:

The above photo illustrates clearly how much contact this portion of the hand has on that part of the gun. I really notice how squirrelly the gun is in my hands when I don’t have grip tape applied in this area. For a competition gun, I consider friction in this area critical for recoil control. Of course my grip and hands are unique to me, but I suspect many others would benefit from grip tape in this area.
    --

User Tag List