Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Game Modding a Glock for Carry Optics, maybe Production

RFI: Game Modding a Glock for Carry Optics, maybe Production

I normally carry a Gen4 Glock 17 or 19 MOS with an RMR06 on top. The only mods I really make is an OEM (-) connector, grip plug and a Grip Force Adapter. I'm interested in trying USPSA Carry Optics and I want to learn about mods to gain a competitive edge.

1) Grip Force Adapter: can I use this? The rules are kinda vague about this. If I have to use the Glock OEM back straps, can I mod them (ie cut) to fit the same profile as the GFA?

2) Recoil Spring and Rod: As I understand this, you want a heavy guide rod to keep the nose of the gun down; a weaker spring to minimize the slide shooting forward and pointing down the nose of the gun when it goes into battery? Factory is 17 lbs.

3) Striker Spring: Reduce the weight of the spring to reduce trigger weight? Factor is 5.5 lbs.

4) Trigger: I was just going to us Apex Tactical since they are in town. Anything better?

5) Magazine: Carry Optics allow 140 mm mags. Use the Magpul 21 round mags OR mod my OEM mags with something like Taran Tactical +5 extension?

6) Optic: I was going to use the Vortex Venom (which I have used a lot) though the DPP looks worthwhile to try.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I will be of no help. Stock Glock 17 MOS with DPP I do like the Taran Tactical +5 ext.
    Last edited by MVS; 08-18-2018 at 08:33 PM.

I shoot a G34 MOS with a DPP. To answer your questions:

I think the Grip Force is a no go, but at local matches it would not matter. OEM you are ok.

I run a 4 lb striker spring. You will have to use a lighter firing pin or risk light hits. I think I have a Zev. Actually I have 2, one was perfect the other had burrs that needed polishing.

Personally I wouldn’t spend money on an after market trigger. A quick polish, light striker spring and your connector of choice should be all you need. I Run a Zev V4 connector, and have a slightly less that 3 lb pull on my Lyman gauge. I don’t care for the extra power trigger springs, they compromise reset and the trigger safety when I have installed them.

I run 21 rd Pmags and a couple of oem with Dawson extensions. Pmags are a lot cheaper and have worked flawlessly for me. The difference between 21 or 22 rds is usually of no consequence. I can squeeze 23 in the oem with extensions, but it’s tough to reload on a closed slide.

DPP works great. I broke one last year, repaired under warranty. I bought a second for insurance and also run an RM 06 on my Gen 3 house gun as a secondary backup.
    Last edited by Norville; 08-18-2018 at 08:46 PM.

1. Grip Force is not an OEM part and doesn't look like one. My understanding it is not allowed (or I'd use it myself). OEM backstrap is OK but since no external mod, except for stippling and trigger undercut, is OK, you can't cut it like Grip Force.

2. I have a tungsten guide rod for my 19x. It doesn't have an option of coming with a lighter spring so I use it as is.
    2a. I also fit a brass plug, taking the excess material out so it doesn't stick out.

3. I use the lightest striker spring that ignites ammo reliably. 5 lbs always does it, 4.5 maybe, 4 not sure. I understand that you can also pull the slide out of battery with a lighter striker spring.

4. Stock trigger for me, although I do play with different connectors.

5. I use aftermarket mag extensions to add extra weight. Taran's are popular, I use Taylor Freelance. I figured that people have figured out how to make Shadows and Stocks to be CO compatible so I want to minimize weight disadvantage.

6. Your guess is good as mine. I went with a DPP and mine started to flicker at 2200 rounds. It got repaired so I'll see how long it'll last now that I have a direct milled slide for it.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    I use the vortex venom on my 17 MOS along with a 5.0 striker spring and a 3.5 connector. No Apex trigger experience so I can't say, but the guys at Trident make a nice Glock trigger. I'm just starting out with CO so I just load the standard mags to capacity. I'll get the Magpul mags personally. The vortex has been a good RDS. I think the GFA is illegal and I don't yet run a different recoil spring.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I’m in the process of setting up a carry optics gun as well. I started with one of my production G34s, so trigger was already good to go, via Vanek.

I’m using Dawson +5 base pad kits on factory magazines. Fortunately, I already had a few, as I briefly used them for 3 gun. I find them easier to use than TTI base pads.

Right now I’m running a 15# spring on a factory guide rod. Looking at tungsten options as well.

Resurrecting an old thread I know, but I can't resist the opportunity to chime in with my version of the ideal Glock CO gun. Base is a Gen4 17.

1) Apex trigger. I like flat triggers, the Apex does improve the trigger IMHO and the fact that the trigger safety bar goes flush with the trigger face is an added bonus.

2) Polished the usual trigger group contact points and installed a "-" Glock connector.

3) 5 lb. Wolff striker spring.

4) NDZ stainless steel guide rod with 13 lb Wolff spring.

5) Apex extractor.

6) Gen 5 ejector

7) OEM slide milled by Jager for Leupold DPP.

8) Extended Glock mag catch.

9) Oh yeah. Someone's aftermarket polished striker block and a reduced power spring. Can't remember who I bought it from. I think it helps the trigger some.

And I've come to love the MagPul 21 round mags. They simply work and they're cheap. I don't mind dropping them in mud and sand. But they aren't nearly as sexy as TTI +5/6 baseplates on OEM mags.
    Last edited by NETim; 10-14-2019 at 12:22 PM.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    The difference between 21 or 22 rds is usually of no consequence.
    Usually, but not always. A level 2 match I shot recently had three 22-round stages.

Honestly you really don't need much.

Need:
    OEM Extended Mag Catch
    Sights (I prefer TTI or Dawson, F/O front with black rear)
    Grip plug that is blended enough to make a ramp
    Mag extensions for carry optics - I haven't tried the magpul 21 round mags, but I've got Dawson +5/6 extensions that work well

Preference:
    4.5-5.0# Striker Spring
    Minus Connector
    Aftermarket guide rod (stainless steel or tungsten) with 14-15# spring. Make sure it passes the vertical slide return to battery test (hold the trigger to the rear, cycle the slide, and slowly guide it back into battery with the gun pointed up at the ceiling). My gen4 and 5's do not with a 13# or less recoil spring and a 5.0# striker spring.

If you do much else you really start to risk reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    1. Grip Force is not an OEM part and doesn't look like one. My understanding it is not allowed (or I'd use it myself). OEM backstrap is OK but since no external mod, except for stippling and trigger undercut, is OK, you can't cut it like Grip Force.

2. I have a tungsten guide rod for my 19x. It doesn't have an option of coming with a lighter spring so I use it as is.
    2a. I also fit a brass plug, taking the excess material out so it doesn't stick out.

3. I use the lightest striker spring that ignites ammo reliably. 5 lbs always does it, 4.5 maybe, 4 not sure. I understand that you can also pull the slide out of battery with a lighter striker spring.

4. Stock trigger for me, although I do play with different connectors.

5. I use aftermarket mag extensions to add extra weight. Taran's are popular, I use Taylor Freelance. I figured that people have figured out how to make Shadows and Stocks to be CO compatible so I want to minimize weight disadvantage.

6. Your guess is good as mine. I went with a DPP and mine started to flicker at 2200 rounds. It got repaired so I'll see how long it'll last now that I have a direct milled slide for it.
    Can you use a tungsten guide rod in production?

User Tag List