Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Game Modding a Glock for Carry Optics, maybe Production

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I do a lot of half assed things.

Since I am running a GlockStore Tungsten heavy guide rod with a 15 pound recoil spring on both G4 and G5 34 pistols, and they have the same texture, the likely differences are finger grooves and perhaps trigger geometry. I lean towards the finger grooves as the explanation.

Theoretically, and we know how misleading that can be, wouldn’t finger grooves that fit you, offer more surface area to counteract recoil with your dominant hand?
    Is that the new "Pure" Tungsten guide rod that weighs 3.7 oz? I have been looking at trying either that or a Jentra this offseason. If it is the Pure Tungsten, do you use the Glock Store springs? Do you know if Wolff springs will work as well? I haven't run into anyone who's actually tried this new guide rod from them yet.

On topic, I do find that I have slightly more recoil control with my gen4 34 than my gen5, but I find my reloads are much more consistent with the gen5 due to the magwell. That's the single biggest factor for continuing to use the gen5 in my opinion.

I decided to tart up a Gen 4 19, and bought a GlockStore pure tungsten guide rod and Thug for it. Here is the weight before and after.

Name:  C0371117-1A14-4E5C-8468-8E0B38688EE0.jpeg
Views: 882
Size:  84.3 KB

Name:  27325B64-DD21-4E31-ABFD-043EE20D6C95.jpeg
Views: 1065
Size:  79.6 KB

Whenever I shoot a 19 length slide with a dot, I am impressed with how flat it shoots. Of course whenever I shoot actual arrays, I am reminded how I consistently shoot better with a 34 with a dot.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

It is a MOS, and I would recommend that to maintain optics flexibility.
    Are there any out-of-the-box sight options from Glock that are worthwhile in the initial stages where I'm shooting Production, or is it still pretty much a matter of replace them after purchase?

Would it be worthwhile to buy taller sights initially, even for shooting without the optic, to eventually have backup sights with the optic, or should I plan on shooting one set of replacement sights to start and then get another set when/if I go to the optic?

suggestions on gamer iron sights in either case?

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Are there any out-of-the-box sight options from Glock that are worthwhile in the initial stages where I'm shooting Production, or is it still pretty much a matter of replace them after purchase?

Would it be worthwhile to buy taller sights initially, even for shooting without the optic, to eventually have backup sights with the optic, or should I plan on shooting one set of replacement sights to start and then get another set when/if I go to the optic?

suggestions on gamer iron sights in either case?
    answering my own questions maybe...

Seems like maybe go with this with black rear and just change the sights later if I go Optics and feel like I need the taller backup sights?
    https://dawsonprecision.com/dawson-p...ess-sight-set/

RFI: Game Modding a Glock for Carry Optics, maybe Production

@GJM thanks a bunch for the weight numbers on the G19.4. I have a GlockStore Tungsten Guide Rod on order for my G19.5 because why not. With my Thug Plug I should be not over the USPSA P weight limit of +4 ounces over OFM weight of gun plus empty mag.

@rob_s complete USPSA noob here w only 9 matches lifetime, but a lot of folks me included run plan black rears and either a FO or Tritium / colored front.

Specifically in my case for an early Gen 5 G19, my gun shoots POI=POA to a cover dot hold w stock height black rears and a 0.180” front.

I will repeat what I said above, equipment choices comes very far down the list of what makes a difference in my score. Mikes, putting holes in no shoots, generally missing steel on the first attempt, and complete brain farts and leaving targets un engaged push me way down the standings. I am a D shooter knocking on C class. I feel competition is / was a really great level setter in setting my expectations of how poor a shooter I am. I am not currently very good at USPSA, but I am enjoying the journey.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by RJ; 11-23-2019 at 09:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    answering my own questions maybe...

Seems like maybe go with this with black rear and just change the sights later if I go Optics and feel like I need the taller backup sights?
    https://dawsonprecision.com/dawson-p...ess-sight-set/
    That’s what I use.

If you really commit to carry optics you can get the cowitness version later, but if you’re only shooting club matches I would just keep the non-cowitness on the gun so you can switch back and forth. Shooting irons with exceptionally tall sights is not ideal in my experience.

While there are exceptions, most USPSA CO competitors run just an optic without BUIS. And, since red dots break, most of us have experience finishing a stage without a dot — pure index works surprisingly well. My EDC red dot pistols have BUIS.

This is my current CO pistol.

Gen 4 Glock 34 with the following mods.

GlockStore Thug brass grip plug

GlockStore pure Tungsten 34 length guide rod with 15 pound spring
    @GJM - I was looking at these guide rods. I see they offer a 34 Extended? Is that the one your are using? Is that prod / carry optic legal?

TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    @GJM - I was looking at these guide rods. I see they offer a 34 Extended? Is that the one your are using? Is that prod / carry optic legal?

TIA.
    I got the extended 34, for more weight, and it is CO legal, as we just have to be under 45.0 ounces. Not sure about Production.

RFI: Game Modding a Glock for Carry Optics, maybe Production

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post

TIA.
    I think for Production, per USPSA rulebook, 1/1/19, Appendix D-4, Production Division, I believe the pistol must weigh no more than +4 oz over original firearm manufacturer (OFM) weight with empty magazine:

Attachment 45286

The Production Gun List (https://uspsa.org/productionlist) has a few Glock 34s mentioned, e.g.

34 9mm (26 oz.)
    34 Gen 4 9mm 5.32 Barrel (26 oz.)
    G34 Gen 5 MOS (without optic for (26.2 oz.)
    G34 Gen5 MOS (26.21 oz.)
    G34 MOS (25.95 oz.)

So I believe you weigh your gun "ready to go" with an empty mag, and if you are not over +4 oz the above weights, you are good to go for P.
    Last edited by RJ; 11-27-2019 at 09:04 AM.

User Tag List