Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 LW commander which one

Trying to wear out my LW champion.
    Name:  IMG_20211002_132324.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  33.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by APS-PF View Post
    If you really felt strongly about this, you would have gone straight to the triple dog dare.
    That’s reserved for people who threaten to vote Democrat to prove a point.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Holy necropost Batman.

I'm new to 1911's and have my eye on a DW 9mm TCP.

Do these LW's hold up to high round counts, or are they "carry a lot, shoot a little" type gun?

If it matters, I don't shoot +P heavy loads.
    You're not going to wear out a 1911 in 9mm...in 45, lightweight commanders can crack the frame at high round counts but in 9mm, you'll be fine. The only issues you might run into would be holster related; it's not quite a commander length (4.25"), and it's railed...I don't think there's too much out there in the way of railed commander or shorter-than-commander length holsters.

Edit - assuming the (ramped) barrel is correctly fitted - poorly fitted barrels can batter or crack frames or barrels, which is beyond the scope of normal wear and tear..

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    The only issues you might run into would be holster related; it's not quite a commander length (4.25"), and it's railed...I don't think there's too much out there in the way of railed commander or shorter-than-commander length holsters.
    Depends on your holster preference. I know nothing about leather but for Kydex, Tenicor makes rail-compatible 1911 holsters in 5”, 4.4”, and 3.9” lengths. JMCK does only offer rails in the 5” version but I’m sure if you asked nicely he’d be able to cut that down to whatever length you want, assuming the extra length is actually a problem instead of being a non issue or even a benefit. One could also shorten one on their own I’m sure. I actually like the extra length so I’ve been carrying 4” guns in 5” holsters for a while, first Walthers and now a 1911.

Holy necropost Batman.

I'm new to 1911's and have my eye on a DW 9mm TCP.

Do these LW's hold up to high round counts, or are they "carry a lot, shoot a little" type gun?

If it matters, I don't shoot +P heavy loads.
    You will not wear this gun out by shooting it. Get it and enjoy it.
    Take down is a little non-standard because of the bull barrel but not a big deal.

IMHO DW makes the best "production" 1911 and they're reasonably priced. I'm a fan of commanders and a big DW fan. I have... a few.

my experience with aluminum frame commander length or close too is limited to two

Springer Railed Champion 4" which I named the Mule (it kicked with 230 ball)
    DW Valkyrie 9mm 4.25 which I bought new, got frustrated with 10 round mags, sold it... then bought it back. Currently running 9 round mags.

I much prefer .45 in a 1911 style pistol because of the mags.

9mm mags function fine but on the admin end, the tapered 9mm round causes the top round in the mag to slide fwd. I am always pushing the top round back. Whats the potential issue, space at the bottom of the mag pouch allows for the top round to move fwd. I have found 9mm rounds at the bottom of my mag pouches using 10 round mags. With 9 rounders, (currently using Ed Brown 9ers), they move fwd but have not slid off.

I recently switched from big ol Springer MCOP .45 duty carry to my DW Valkyrie 9mm because of buttock/leg pain (thought it was sciatic... was told its not) and the difference in weight for packing all day is huge. I sometimes have to run my hand down onto my pistol to make sure its there (HA!)

I sold the Champion (it was a great piece) because I was buying an ACW and needed the funds.

I got moved back to the street (last week) as a Lt and while my assignment is more admin related.... I have not worked on the street since 2005 (eeks). We had VHS tapes for in-car back then.

I have a decision to make....
    still have leg pain... thought it was from carrying weight from a duty belt for the past 32 years. still dont know what it is (might be arthritic).
    MCOP with X300 (leaning toward this dude)
    Valkyrie
    Glock 19 with TLR (this is probably the better choice)

If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

New to 1911s, so sorry for a silly question.

Can I expect a railed 4" TCP to fit in standard Commander and full size holsters (as long as they're also railed), or are they somehow unique?
    David S.

Can I expect a railed 4" TCP to fit in standard Commander and full size holsters (as long as they're also railed), or are they somehow unique?
    My best guess

The tri top slide should not be an issue

The frame has a rail, it will need to be a holster for a railed frame.

Since it’s a 4”, a true commander (4.25) or 5” holster will work as long it’s for a railed or operator frame.

when I had the Champion Operator 4", I took a 5" duty holster and cut as much as I could off without invading attachment points,

it worked.

Last edited by SW CQB 45; 10-24-2021 at 01:16 PM.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

I'd agree with SW CQB 45. Shouldn't be any more of an issue than putting a G19 in a G34 holster. I put my Ed Brown EVO in a JM holster for a Government 1911 and it works. The EVO has a very thinned-down slide that's a major departure from standard 1911 dimensions, and I'm still able to acceptably take care of the extra space with the retention adjustments. I'd expect the TCP wouldn't even have that issue - as far as I know, aside from the tri-top and the 4" length, it's got a normal 1911 slide.

Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    My best guess

The tri top slide should not be an issue

The frame has a rail, it will need to be a holster for a railed frame.

Since it’s a 4”, a true commander (4.25) or 5” holster will work as long it’s for a railed or operator frame.

when I had the Champion Operator 4", I took a 5" duty holster and cut as much as I could off without invading attachment points,

it worked.

Well...it also kind of depends on the rail. Not all 1911 rails are the same in width or height on the dust cover...one prime example of that is the difference between the Colt Railgun V2/M45A1/Combat Unit rails, vs the Colt Railgun V1 rail, vs the Springfield-esque rail, vs the Sig rail (which I think was different from the Springfield one?)....etc

Offhand I know the current Colt railguns won't fit in most manufacturer's "1911 w/rail" holsters...the DW might, but if it doesn't, make sure you can return the holster...

User Tag List