Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 LW commander which one

Colts, Rugers and one fantastic S&W E Series have all served me well: https://youtu.be/v_b086hVRNQ
    My mirror polished Ruger Lightweight Commander is not in that video, but has been flawless: https://youtu.be/1KDQW2xFGyI
    The only 1911 I ever had any kind of problem with was the last Colt I bought. It’s a Government Competition full size in 9mm, and it doesn’t like to be limp wristed. Out of 600+ rounds, it stove piped 3-4 rounds when my wife and I shot it one handed. The Colt 9mm mags don’t like being filled to capacity, but those are the only two “issues” I’ve ever had with any of those 1911 pistols.
    **** I’ve been using a Galco Mad Max IWB holster this year, and I can carry a full size steel 1911 without the slightest discomfort, and I’m a Princess and the Pea kind of guy...lol!

Edit:
    Colt Wiley Clapp .45
    Colt Lightweight Commander .45
    Colt Competition .45
    Colt Competition Blue Titanium .45
    Colt Competition SS 9mm
    Ruger Lightweight Commander .45
    Ruger Lightweight Commander 9mm
    S&W E Series SS 5” .45 (carried most often)
    Last edited by FrankB; 08-19-2018 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    I asked for a Guardian without the Bobtail. At the time DW didn't offer any other Commander size AL frame guns.

45 ACP
    10-8 .156" notch Rear Sight
    Arched Mainspring Housing
    Short trigger
    VZ Alien grips - Std thickness.
    Single side safety
    No front cocking serrations.
    No text on slide.
    Carry melt.

It's all functional no frills. Carried everyday. Same exact setup as my 5" steel frame guns. Once a year I shoot it in a 1-day class (about 300 rounds). The rest of the time the steel guns get the workout. It's probably a little faster out of the holster and I do not notice any difference shooting it. Carries much nicer than a 5" steel frame 1911. I recently did a side by side weight comparison with a buddies full size M&P 45. His request. We both thought my LW Commander felt lighter. 100% reliable.
    Very Very nice. Regular length trigger and ambi safety for me... otherwise it's perfect.

Site Supporter
    I've owned Lightweight Commanders made by Colt and S&W and they were all good, reliable pistols.

I spent about five years with a SW1911PD Commander as my primary pistol. My girlfriend shot a full size, steel frame SW1911 as her primary handgun during the same period. Comparing the two pistols side by side and using the same magazines, my girlfriend's 1911 was clearly the more reliable gun. Mine would be much quicker to fail to feed if the recoil spring was a bit old,or the magazine spring a tad worn, or sometimes even just because. (Ammunition was mostly 230gr ball, magazines mostly Chip McCormick and Meg-Car.) Also, I developed a wear pattern on the frame portion of the feed ramp and the plunger tube became unstaked.

My shift to polymer frame 9mm's was mostly due to steeply rising ammunition costs and the cost of buying a sufficient amount of magazines for competition use, but I do have to admit going to a high level match and having three malfunctions there was an experience that seriously made me rethink my pistol choice.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Get one. You deserve to treat yourself after that grueling summer you had off

Dan Wesson Guardian in 9mm. True love. A bit over 4000 rounds through mine, my first real foray into the world of the 1911, and I’ve learned the following.

-There is no shame in buying a factory blemished model. You’ll save a few hundred bucks and if the diagram in the box didn’t point to exactly where the blems were, I probably wouldn’t have found them. Still guaranteed mechanically.

-The front sight issue with the 9mm is real. I swapped mine out for a set of Dawsons and painted the front but you can have the factory take care of it for free.

-The two included mags didn’t work that well. Wilson ETMs and Mec-Gars have worked splendidly.

-Aluminum-framed Commanders carry very, very well in a JM Custom appendix holster and a Galco Jackass Rig.

-Reliable so far with Winchester Ranger 124 +P.

Let me know if you want to take her for a spin.

[QUOTE=S Jenks;776528]Get one. You deserve to treat yourself after that grueling summer you had off

Dan Wesson Guardian in 9mm. True love. A bit over 4000 rounds through mine, my first real foray into the world of the 1911, and I’ve learned the following.

Ha! Thanks Steve. No 9mm 1911 for me, just doesn't seem right. I stopped by the Pro Shop and they had a couple of discontinued models on display but wouldn't budge on the prices. I'm going to Buds in Lexington next weekend so I'll have a chance to try out a few different LW commanders on their range.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy1 View Post
    Ha! Thanks Steve. No 9mm 1911 for me, just doesn't seem right.
    A 9mm 1911 might seem right after you've spent some time shooting one.
    Last edited by Robinson; 08-20-2018 at 07:32 AM.

I only learned recently that the LW Commander was designed in 9mm for Army pistol trials that went nowhere...so mebbe it ain't "right" in .45?

ETA: Gawd, how I want a DW Valkyrie Commander in 9mm...zero need, but tons of want.
    Last edited by Gun Mutt; 08-20-2018 at 07:41 AM.

The two goofiest things I bought are two of the coolest things I have

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy1 View Post
    No 9mm 1911 for me, just doesn't seem right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    A 9mm 1911 might seem right after you've spent some time shooting one.
    A 9mm AR and a 9mm LWC. Both of them just seem "wrong", both of them are a shitload of fun.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 08-20-2018 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    I spent about five years with a SW1911PD ...My girlfriend shot a full size, steel frame SW1911 as her primary handgun during the same period. ...my girlfriend's 1911 was clearly the more reliable gun. Mine would be much quicker to fail to feed if the recoil spring was a bit old,or the magazine spring a tad worn, or sometimes even just because. (Ammunition was mostly 230gr ball, magazines mostly Chip McCormick and Meg-Car.)
    Wilson Combat has a FAQ in their Compact guns (I realize they are talking about Officer/Compact size guns and not Commander size guns, but the point is the same, just to a lesser degree) section regarding, slide speed, weight of a column of ammo, and mag springs...

https://www.wilsoncombat.com/faqs/
    All the mechanical changes are important, but the biggest factor is ammunition selection because it affects both slide cycle speed and the magazine’s ability to lift the cartridge into position for proper feeding. Ammunition loaded with 230gr bullets generate more recoil impulse (especially +P loads) than 185gr loads, and 7 rounds of 185gr ammunition weighs 315gr less than 7 rounds of 230gr ammunition, making the column of ammunition easier for the magazine spring to lift. I hope you see where I’m going here? With modern hollow point bullets we have LOTS of bullet choices of 200gr or less that have proven to be VERY effective in regards to terminal performance.
    Also, I developed a wear pattern on the frame portion of the feed ramp ...
    A common issue when using McCormick mags in aluminum framed 1911's (or simply the Devel follower as the same problem was common in Ruger's P90/P97/P345 with 8 round mags that used the same follower). Most recommend against those mags in aluminum framed guns. McCormick even developed the PowerMag Plus to prevent the problem.

User Tag List