Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 LW commander which one

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    but DW yields more for less, faster.
    True but you're buying what DW thinks you want for sights, grips, etc.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

OP, you didn't specify a chambering, so I'm assuming you want 45 Auto. My two are 9mm, one Colt and one Ruger and they've both been reliable with ball ammo when using Wilson ETM mags. Since mine are range toys and not carry guns, I've never tried them with hollow points.

I did notice that the Ruger seems to be sighted for more of a 6 O'clock hold that I'll probably recti with a different set of sights someday.

Other than that one little thing, I've had no issues with either and would buy either one again

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy1 View Post
    I've narrowed my search to S&W 1911SC...
    I'm open to Ruger...
    The S&W is the most expensive and a little out of my price range...
    A friend, who shoots every single week, has a Scandium S&W that he shot for years and it has held up very well.

I do not have the experience with really nice 1911s as others here, but in the last year I have bought three of the Rugers, including both 9mm and 45 LWCs, and if you consider the S&W to be at the upper end of your comfort level I would urge you to really consider the Ruger (most of them are strong side safety only). They are for sure not going to be as tasty as a Dan Wesson or a Colt that has been massaged, but as a baseline starting out I think they are a very solid way to spend $750.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 08-19-2018 at 06:54 AM.

Built to my specs by the Dan Wesson custom shop.

Name:  commander.jpg
Views: 2606
Size:  86.2 KB

I have a Wiley Clapp in .45 and a DW Valkyrie in 9mm. I like both of them. The DW is a little prettier. Both work well.

I have the Guardian in .45 ACP and the Valkyrie in 9mm.

I also own Wilson, Ed Brown, S&W, Colt, Springfield, 1911's and an STI 2011. They are a mix of .45 and 9mm.

Both Dan Wesson pistols required replacement of the front sights by DW, as they shot very high above POA when new. That was done (taller front sights installed) free of charge, with a quick turnaround in both cases.

Since that time they have been trouble free. They are both pistols that I can honestly report ZERO malfunctions with so far. I might get the trigger tuned on the Valkyrie at some point, but the Guardian trigger is good to go. Both are far more accurate than I am and their relative (to polymer pistols) light weight make them comfortable to carry on a daily basis, even in the AZ 100+ degree heat.

If I recall correctly, I have a total of $2500 invested in the two of them (both purchased NIB on GunBroker suctions). In my opinion, money very well spent.

Site Supporter
    Guy at an IDPA match was running a Commander frame Ruger. He was shooting a .45 with Wilson ETMs and he had little trouble staying ahead of most guys shooting plastic people poppers.

Except me. I beat him. By a small margin and running a G34...But his gun ran very well (had fewer problems than my glock...which was failing to lock back on empty). I'd be confident with a Ruger.

Then again, if you have the knowledge and skill and a Brownells account, you can get *most* production grade 1911s to run.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Built to my specs by the Dan Wesson custom shop.

Name:  commander.jpg
Views: 2606
Size:  86.2 KB
    Very nice! I didn't realize DW would do that. Details on your specs?

Another data point on the Rugers, I know a couple people that are using them in some different competitions that are reporting great reliability. These two guns happen to be 45 Auto full size models, but the reports are coming from people I trust.

So beto those two 45's and my 9mm LWC, that's 3 Rugers I know of and have seen personally run well.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe45 View Post
    Very nice! I didn't realize DW would do that. Details on your specs?
    I asked for a Guardian without the Bobtail. At the time DW didn't offer any other Commander size AL frame guns.

45 ACP
    10-8 .156" notch Rear Sight
    Arched Mainspring Housing
    Short trigger
    VZ Alien grips - Std thickness.
    Single side safety
    No front cocking serrations.
    No text on slide.
    Carry melt.

It's all functional no frills. Carried everyday. Same exact setup as my 5" steel frame guns. Once a year I shoot it in a 1-day class (about 300 rounds). The rest of the time the steel guns get the workout. It's probably a little faster out of the holster and I do not notice any difference shooting it. Carries much nicer than a 5" steel frame 1911. I recently did a side by side weight comparison with a buddies full size M&P 45. His request. We both thought my LW Commander felt lighter. 100% reliable.

User Tag List