Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 LW commander which one

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SW CQB 45 View Post
    9mm mags function fine but on the admin end, the tapered 9mm round causes the top round in the mag to slide fwd. I am always pushing the top round back. Whats the potential issue, space at the bottom of the mag pouch allows for the top round to move fwd. I have found 9mm rounds at the bottom of my mag pouches using 10 round mags. With 9 rounders, (currently using Ed Brown 9ers), they move fwd but have not slid off.
    This matches my experience with 9mm 1911 mags. I am also using Ed Brown 9-rounders and they work very well so far. Just yesterday I actually saw the top round eject from a 10-round magazine I had just loaded.

I had to build up a pad for my light in my ALS holster for use with my LW champion and x300.

Or else it sits to low

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    9mm mags function fine but on the admin end, the tapered 9mm round causes the top round in the mag to slide fwd. I am always pushing the top round back. Whats the potential issue, space at the bottom of the mag pouch allows for the top round to move fwd. I have found 9mm rounds at the bottom of my mag pouches using 10 round mags. With 9 rounders, (currently using Ed Brown 9ers), they move fwd but have not slid off.
    Wise words.

The general rule of thumb in this house is that any 9mm 1911 magazine is loaded with one round less that the advertised capacity. We have had exceptions that required them downloaded by two rounds, and instances where the full capacity could be achieved if the things are handled about as gingerly as a test tube full of nitroglycerine.

Loading to full capacity and then putting it in a pouch seems to leave one round in the bottom of the pouch or on the ground every doggone time.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    Wise words.

The general rule of thumb in this house is that any 9mm 1911 magazine is loaded with one round less that the advertised capacity. We have had exceptions that required them downloaded by two rounds, and instances where the full capacity could be achieved if the things are handled about as gingerly as a test tube full of nitroglycerine.

Loading to full capacity and then putting it in a pouch seems to leave one round in the bottom of the pouch or on the ground every doggone time.
    I must have missed those posts.

I posted some time ago, that my very first duty 9mm mags were CMC 10s. I needed powerlifter thumbs to get the 10th round in. CMC replaced the mag tubes and while I could get the 10th round in, it took some effort. Downloading by hand was impossible. CMC suggested I trim the mag spring (1.5 coils IIRC) which improved loading #10. I had to slam the mags home to seat. With all the issues I had loading and unloading the CMC never missed a beat in the gun.

I would download 1 round in the CMCs and improvement across the board was 100%. I would call my 10 round CMC mags, a true 9 round mag.

Springer factory 9 round mags, no real issues but it would strip a round and I would find it in my mag pouch.

Tripp 10s were very easy to load to capacity but damn, rounds would slide off if I looked at it (exaggeration). These mags did not work well in my application only because it was constantly stripping rounds. Hell, if I did a tac reload, it would strip the top round off the mag as the top round was half way out the mag.

I did have WC 10s for a spell but never put them to any real test. They would also slide the top round.

My gun that I did all these tests was a SACS Custom Carry 9mm 5" and my DW Valkyrie 4.25".

I am not talking trash about any of these mags, as these were my experiences and YMMV.

So far, the Ed Brown 9s loaded to capacity ... top round only moves fwd. I have not found any rounds in a mag pouch.

Part of me wants my original 10 round CMCs back so I have some sweet 9 round mags.

thanks for the INFO.

ADDED

I forgot to mention with the original CMC 10s. I was having over insertions because the Dan Wesson front strap checkering were like teeth and chewed up the plastic mag bases cause my mag to overseat.
    I am now careful with plastic mag bases and if possible, I changed them to alum or steel. You can see the fwd 9mm round in the CMC mag but they always fed.

Last edited by SW CQB 45; 10-25-2021 at 12:11 PM.
    If you're going to be a bear….be a GRIZZLY!

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Trying to wear out my LW champion.
    Attachment 78895
    Same here, except 9mm.
    Been carrying it for over a year and a half, zero issues with this Springfield Range Officer.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

I think I’ve mentioned this elsewhere and was seconding CSW there as well, but I’m also having good luck with Ed Brown 9mm mags (these are rebranded somethings but I forget what - CheckMate I think?). I carry two spares, one in a kydex pouch and one in a nylon one, and the rounds at most move forward and tip downwards just a bit. Confirmed that they cause no problems for slide lock reloads.

That said, while I don’t carry them, I do have two Wilson ETM 10rd mags for range use, and in addition to running fine they’re hard enough to down load I don’t see them loosing rounds in a pouch. But like I said I haven’t tested this outside of range use. I have more of the Ed Browns and therefore more rounds through them, including 8 I’ve vetted with HSTs and reserved for carry use, and they’re cheaper to begin with, so at this point switching for the one extra round in my spare mags isn’t worth the cost.

I must have missed those posts.

I posted some time ago, that my very first duty 9mm mags were CMC 10s. I needed powerlifter thumbs to get the 10th round in. CMC replaced the mag tubes and while I could get the 10th round in, it took some effort. Downloading by hand was impossible. CMC suggested I trim the mag spring (1.5 coils IIRC) which improved loading #10. I had to slam the mags home to seat. With all the issues I had loading and unloading the CMC never missed a beat in the gun.

I would download 1 round in the CMCs and improvement across the board was 100%. I would call my 10 round CMC mags, a true 9 round mag.

Springer factory 9 round mags, no real issues but it would strip a round and I would find it in my mag pouch.

Tripp 10s were very easy to load to capacity but damn, rounds would slide off if I looked at it (exaggeration). These mags did not work well in my application only because it was constantly stripping rounds. Hell, if I did a tac reload, it would strip the top round off the mag as the top round was half way out the mag.

I did have WC 10s for a spell but never put them to any real test. They would also slide the top round.

My gun that I did all these tests was a SACS Custom Carry 9mm 5" and my DW Valkyrie 4.25".

I am not talking trash about any of these mags, as these were my experiences and YMMV.

So far, the Ed Brown 9s loaded to capacity ... top round only moves fwd. I have not found any rounds in a mag pouch.

Part of me wants my original 10 round CMCs back so I have some sweet 9 round mags.

thanks for the INFO.

ADDED

I forgot to mention with the original CMC 10s. I was having over insertions because the Dan Wesson front strap checkering were like teeth and chewed up the plastic mag bases cause my mag to overseat.
    I am now careful with plastic mag bases and if possible, I changed them to alum or steel. You can see the fwd 9mm round in the CMC mag but they always fed.

Echoes my experience with the now discontinued CMC XP? magazines. I had 6 that came with my SACS Pro they never bobbled when in the gun but loading and, god forbid, unloading was a pain. Ultimately decided a 9mm 1911 was not me magazines always being part of the issue. Maybe a shorter slide gun would have changed my mind but damn a 5” 9mm gun is sluggish.

Site Supporter
    I picked up a 9mm Mec Gar 10 round mag (with the extended base plate) to try and have been pretty pleased so far. Especially compared to my factory Colt and Wilson mags. It seems to hold the top round more securely and with less nose dive.

DISCLAIMER
    The following should in no way be viewed as a criticism of the 9mm Parabellum cartridge, or those who may choose to use it in the 1911 platform:

This is just my opinion, so I will share it . . . . . Sticking with the .45 ACP cartridge when using a 1911 platform pistol has proven to me (over the past 45 years) to prevent about 99% of the issues I have experienced with that platform.

It's amazing . . . . almost like that platform was designed for that cartridge.
    Last edited by 1911Nut; 10-30-2021 at 12:45 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    DISCLAIMER
    The following should in no way be viewed as a criticism of the 9mm Parabellum cartridge, or those who may choose to use it in the 1911 platform:

This is just my opinion, so I will share it . . . . . Sticking with the .45 ACP cartridge when using a 1911 platform pistol has proven to me (over the past 45 years) to prevent about 99% of the issues I have experienced with that platform.

It's amazing . . . . almost like that platform was designed for that cartridge.
    Absolutely. Not only is the Government Model 45 the most trouble free, it also still remains my favorite 1911 for shooting.

I've been down the 9mm 1911 road a few times. My experience with them has actually been decent, but I never really felt 100% confident in the guns. Just recently it seems there are manufacturers making 9mm 1911s that really run well.

I recently started down the road again with a Colt Custom Carry Limited and a BUL Armory Commander that are very solid so far. Of course, both guns have a lot of hand fitting involved in the build process. Thread about them here: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....UL-Armory-Fair

User Tag List