Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 LW commander which one

I had a Smith Gunsite version and it was flawless.

The Dan Wesson is probably the best bang for the buck.

I’d avoid the SiG. It’s neither fish nor fowl and it doesn’t fit many holsters.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

Are you definitely set on a 45acp version, Ken???

I've been running this same pistol in 9mm for almost 3 years as my EDC. Springer Range Officer Elite Champion[commander sized]
    4" bull barrel, Black T finish, G10 thin grips, ambi safety.

It's never faltered, and meets your criteria.
    It's a solid handgun, not too fancy, but definitely reliable.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/932371180 It's .45acp.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/932757158 Same as my 9mm version.

The Tenicor holster ate the Black T, but full disclosure, Tenicor came with a statement saying it would. I carried it in a KSG holster before the Tenicor, and nary a mark was found.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by CSW; 05-14-2022 at 01:31 PM.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Site Supporter
    Man if a Dan Wesson is on the list or at all a possibility, I'd say the Dan Wesson is THE answer for a list that has guns that are up to the level of guns like Wilson, Nighthawk or Ed Brown.

I've handled a few and been extremely impressed.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

The Dan Wesson ECP is the way to go. Just a well made wonderful shooter. My only complaint with it is the brass bead front sight. It just doesn't grab my eye in a low light situation. I replaced mine with a Trijicon night sight.

Really, DW ECP. You wont be sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    Are you definitely set on a 45acp version, Ken???
    Yes, I’ve actually been considering two new 1911 pattern guns - a 9mm Officers size and a .45 in a LW Commander. I drive up to Kittery today to try and find a ECP to check out - they didn’t have one, but a sales priced Ruger 9mm Officers followed me home…
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    I have fired other peoples' Ruger lightweight Commanders and thought they were fine pistols. I wish that I had one. Unlike many, I never had problems making a 1911 run. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I have fired other peoples' Ruger lightweight Commanders and thought they were fine pistols. I wish that I had one. Unlike many, I never had problems making a 1911 run. Enjoy!
    Over the years I’ve handled and shot quite a few Ruger 1911s, and they’ve always impressed me - basic guns that seem to run well, but not cutting edge. This Officers is the first I’ve actually owned, though and I have high expectations for function and reliability. It’s also my first 9mm 1911, so now I’ve had all three traditional 1911 chamberings - .38 Stupid (my first,) .45 ACP and now 9mm.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Yes, I’ve actually been considering two new 1911 pattern guns - a 9mm Officers size and a .45 in a LW Commander. I drive up to Kittery today to try and find a ECP to check out - they didn’t have one, but a sales priced Ruger 9mm Officers followed me home…
    Gata naranja tried out both the Ruger and the SA 9mm compact 1911's side by side and could not pick a winner. Eventually, we were at a not-so-local LGS that happened to have a Springer in stock and a sharp young lady on duty, and the SA came home with us.

(More shops should hire women with CCW experience, IMHO.)

A lot of people who aren't deeply into "all things gun-related" sure seem to take a shine to compact, alloy-framed 9mm 1911's after trying out a bunch of more "modern" pistols.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    Gata naranja tried out both the Ruger and the SA 9mm compact 1911's side by side and could not pick a winner. Eventually, we were at a not-so-local LGS that happened to have a Springer in stock and a sharp young lady on duty, and the SA came home with us.

(More shops should hire women with CCW experience, IMHO.)

A lot of people who aren't deeply into "all things gun-related" sure seem to take a shine to compact, alloy-framed 9mm 1911's after trying out a bunch of more "modern" pistols.
    Definitely. My late wife liked shooting but wasn’t really an enthusiast. After considering a LW 1911 as her primary she settled on a G21 due to capacity, but her “little” gun was a Colt LW Government .380. She loved 1911s in general.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    so now I’ve had all three traditional 1911 chamberings - .38 Superb (my first,) .45 ACP and now 9mm.
    FIFY😁
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List