Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Keith's heavy .38

Dave T, what brand of primer were you using. Federals are softer and will "flow" where others won't.

Site Supporter
    Bill, they were Federal SP primers. I loaded up 25 rounds with a bit less 2400 and WW small pistol primers to see if I can stop the flow. I'll see what happens the next time I get to the range.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
    Bill, they were Federal SP primers. I loaded up 25 rounds with a bit less 2400 and WW small pistol primers to see if I can stop the flow. I'll see what happens the next time I get to the range.

Dave
    Try CCI or Winchester primers. I've had Federal primers look like high pressure loads when any other primer looks OK with the same load.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Try CCI or Winchester primers. I've had Federal primers look like high pressure loads when any other primer looks OK with the same load.
    I get flattened primers with federal factory 158gr jsp from Walmart.

Site Supporter
    O3RN,

My primers weren't just flattened, they were flowing back into the hole in the firing pin bushing and jamming the cylinder of my USFA single action solid.

I had another student for today so I was at the range and just had to try my new "heavy 38" load in the USFA. This time I had WW primers and 1 grain less 2400. Went through all the test rounds I loaded (about 25) and didn't have a single problem. Now I'll have to drag out the chronograph and see what that 158g bullet is doing about 10' from the muzzle. (smile)

Dave

I attempted to duplicate a .38/44 load. The data I got today was:

Montana Bullet Works 358156GC 155gr SWC, 12.5gr Alliant 2400, seated at second (.38SPL length) crimp groove, mixed .38SPL brass, CCI 550 primers, mild roll crimp.

Gun: Smith and Wesson Model 28-2 4”
    Hi: 1100FPS
    Low: 1045FPS
    Avg: 1079FPS (10 shots)
    ES: 55
    SD: 16

Approximately 3” at 25yds. Not quite the velocity I was hoping for.

What were you hoping for?

Old catalog shows .38 Special High Velocity, Super Speed, .38-44 HV, etc. at 1075 - 1125 fps from 6" barrels.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

That's interesting, I got 1089 with 11.5gr 2400 under a rimrock 158gr swc-wn from a 4" m64-5.
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    What were you hoping for?

Old catalog shows .38 Special High Velocity, Super Speed, .38-44 HV, etc. at 1075 - 1125 fps from 6" barrels.

The Rem and Peters loads showed 1115-ish fps, the Western and one Winchester load show 1175 fps (and one @ 1125 I believe) in the 1943-44 Shooters Bible. The ones I have from the 50s showed similar information.

Not sure why the differences from the various companies.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    I attempted to duplicate a .38/44 load. The data I got today was:

Montana Bullet Works 358156GC 155gr SWC, 12.5gr Alliant 2400, seated at second (.38SPL length) crimp groove, mixed .38SPL brass, CCI 550 primers, mild roll crimp.

Gun: Smith and Wesson Model 28-2 4”
    Hi: 1100FPS
    Low: 1045FPS
    Avg: 1079FPS (10 shots)
    ES: 55
    SD: 16

Approximately 3” at 25yds. Not quite the velocity I was hoping for.
    I saw pressure tests on this bullet and 2400. 13.5 grains, the famous Skeeter Skelton load, exceeded 357 Mag pressures. Your load should be safe. I'm curious. What's the bullet diameter?

As a young man I used some of the Keith loads using 38 Spl brass, and I'm surprised now that I didn't blow up my revolvers. I won't cite the one with Unique and his 168 gr bullet.

With the above bullet and 38 Spl case with the bullet in the same crimp grooves, you might try 6.0 grains of Unique though you won't get the velocity you're seeking. The big dude with the hound dog has 38 Spl loads figured out better than anybody I've seen. Look at his data.

User Tag List