Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Keith's heavy .38

John Taffin on "5 gr. Unique" and the 38 spl...

https://americanhandgunner.com/uniqu...-a-perfect-10/

"Five grains Unique has been a standard load for the .38 Special with both the Military and Police .38 and Unique powder arriving right about the same time. With the Lyman #358477 SWC hard cast bullet in a pre-War S&W 4″ M&P muzzle velocity is right at 950 fps with groups just over 1″. The same load works the same wonders in the .357 also."

The Lyman #358477 is a 150 gr SWC

Elmer wrote me - G&A Q&A, not personal correspondence- that the .358477 was OK if I just must use Magnum brass, but he still preferred 358429 in Special brass.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    I have a .38 blued GP-100 that I bought to potentially load 38-44 equivalent handloads in. One of these days I will get a can of 2400 and see what I can do with it. I suspect that whatever an L-frame can take, this Ruger should be able to. I believe the old 38-44 factory loads ran about 1100 fps from a 4" barrel with a 158 grain bullet.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Wow. Is that load in any modern reloading manuals? Because that sounds like a .357 recipe I’ve used.
    I just checked Alliant's webpage and they list 9 grains as the max load for +P.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    I have a .38 blued GP-100 that I bought to potentially load 38-44 equivalent handloads in. One of these days I will get a can of 2400 and see what I can do with it. I suspect that whatever an L-frame can take, this Ruger should be able to. I believe the old 38-44 factory loads ran about 1100 fps from a 4" barrel with a 158 grain bullet.
    I loaded some .38-44 loads from an old Lyman manual with six grains of Unique under a 170 grain LSWC. I've shot it but haven't chronographed it, am going to the range Thursday morning to do just that (and shoot some other stuff). My calibrated thump-o-meter says 1050-1100 fps, we'll see what the chrono says. I shot it in my M13, it's too much thump for me in a K frame. I'll probably use my 681.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    How safe is Keith's .38 special load in modern guns like m10s and m64s?

I'm referring to the 168 grain cast Keith bullet over 13.5 grains of 2400 in .38 special brass.

This isn't about a reload but I really dig this thread cause some day I'll return to reloading and those heavy .38 loads are cool.

But, here's a +P 158 grain flatpoint from the reputable Lawman line. It just came back "in stock".

https://www.sgammo.com/product/38-sp...tmj-ammo-53750

Cheap too.
    Last edited by JHC; 12-18-2018 at 12:41 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I like this bullet for 38 spl, +P or normal pressure, and also mild 357 mag loads. Lee 358-158-RF

I seldom cast nowadays, but I buy them chep from a friend. Just use WW alloy or harder and any decent lube, works very well in all my guns.

The flat nose is generous, but they are still easy to align for fast reloads.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    But, here's a +P 158 grain flatpoint from the reputable Lawman line. It just came back "in stock".

https://www.sgammo.com/product/38-sp...tmj-ammo-53750

Cheap too.
    Does anyone know for sure if those primers are crimped? Can't really tell from the photos I can find online.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Does anyone know for sure if those primers are crimped? Can't really tell from the photos I can find online.
    IDK but I have a couple of boxes inbound and will find out.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    I like this bullet for 38 spl, +P or normal pressure, and also mild 357 mag loads. Lee 358-158-RF

I seldom cast nowadays, but I buy them chep from a friend. Just use WW alloy or harder and any decent lube, works very well in all my guns.

The flat nose is generous, but they are still easy to align for fast reloads.
    Very nice. I think for all around that would have it all over an actual SWC since that meplat is pretty legit.

User Tag List