Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Keith's heavy .38

Site Supporter
    Keith mentioned another heavy .38 Special load that may have more application. It was his 358429 over 5.0 Unique. Has anybody run that one and what did you find?
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Keith mentioned another heavy .38 Special load that may have more application. It was his 358429 over 5.0 Unique. Has anybody run that one and what did you find?
    That one is listed on Lyman's 47th ed reloading handbook, it is a 168 gr SWC, 4" vented barrel, 860 fps, 16,700 CUP (normal SAAMI pressure).

I've tried other 158-160 gr lead bullets, SWC or FP over 5.0 Unique, and it works very well, accurate and powerful. For snubbies I prefer to load a bit milder, 4.6 to 4.8 gr.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    That one is listed on Lyman's 47th ed reloading handbook, it is a 168 gr SWC, 4" vented barrel, 860 fps, 16,700 CUP (normal SAAMI pressure).

I've tried other 158-160 gr lead bullets, SWC or FP over 5.0 Unique, and it works very well, accurate and powerful. For snubbies I prefer to load a bit milder, 4.6 to 4.8 gr.
    I've read some other places the idea that that load is +P or more. I recall in my much younger days running a 155 grain SWC (358477) over 5.5 grains of Unique and it was very capable for .38 Special.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Name:  20180821_171443[1].jpg
Views: 1152
Size:  24.4 KB

This is from the 1995 printing, well into the era when pressure was meticulously measured, not guessed.

I’d be VERY careful with data published prior to the advent of reliable pressure and velocity testing. I’ve seen writers of that era make claims that defy the laws of physics.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I’d be VERY careful with data published prior to the advent of reliable pressure and velocity testing. I’ve seen writers of that era make claims that defy the laws of physics.

Okie John
    Pressure "reading" by eyeballing fired cases and primers...

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    Pressure "reading" by eyeballing fired cases and primers...
    coughBobHagelcough

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I switched to Power Pistol for a medium rate powder when I couldn’t find unique a few years back

6 grains behind that bullet clocks between 950 & 1000 FPS from a 4” barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post

Of course Buffalo Bore has their 158 grain swc pushing 1200fps in a legit .38 load.
    The first time I shot this bullet out of my N frame, I was very surprised at how potent it felt.

User Tag List