Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Keith's heavy .38

Keith's heavy .38

How safe is Keith's .38 special load in modern guns like m10s and m64s?

I'm referring to the 168 grain cast Keith bullet over 13.5 grains of 2400 in .38 special brass.

Site Supporter
    Wow. Is that load in any modern reloading manuals? Because that sounds like a .357 recipe I’ve used.

Off the cuff, since I'm away from the literature, that sounds like it would be into .357 loadings. Keith ran his guns into the ground and was fortunate to have a Pez dispenser supply line of pistols that were sent his way.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Yeah, after a little more looking it's meant for "pre N frame" n frames like the .38/44

I just remembered Keith and later Taffin writing about it.

Of course Buffalo Bore has their 158 grain swc pushing 1200fps in a legit .38 load.

First, remember you're talking about Elmer Keith. He blew up a lot of revolvers.

I pulled out a couple of old Speer manuals that have some hot loads, and the heaviest charge was 10 grains of 2400 in .38 Special with a 160 grain bullet. I think that was one of Keith's loads for N-Frames only. They loaded long on Special brass to get magnum velocities because .357 brass was scarce. Those are .357 magnum pressure loads. I would never run something like that in a non magnum K-Frame.

The main reason I acquired a model 28 was to play around with some of the .38/44 and Keith loads. I wouldn’t run some of them in my 686.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

I know this in not from the reloading side of this topic but this is still partially related. Recently shot this Underwood load. It made for a very unpleasant sensation in my had when using my 640. To be honest it was pretty snappy coming out of my 4" 66 to. Attachment 29268

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    The main reason I acquired a model 28 was to play around with some of the .38/44 and Keith loads. I wouldn’t run some of them in my 686.
    I would think if it was a .357 it would be fine

Pg 69 of Taffins "Big Bore Handguns" clearly states that the load I posted in the OP is only safe in the 38/44, colts new service and single action army.

Probably should have reread that chapter before posting.

Quote Originally Posted by $teve View Post
    I know this in not from the reloading side of this topic but this is still partially related. Recently shot this Underwood load. It made for a very unpleasant sensation in my had when using my 640. To be honest it was pretty snappy coming out of my 4" 66 to. Attachment 29268
    Yeah, I think Underwood and Buffalo Bore load with fairy dust.

I'd love to figure out a way to load that myself.

User Tag List