Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Keith's heavy .38

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    What velocity are you looking for? Bullets - lead, plated, jacketed?
    Something that's close to the Speer 158 +p load. Not married to any bullet as long as it has a decent metplate.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    4.5 grains of CFE-Pistol under anything 158 grains
    What sort of velocity are you getting? Barrel length/bullet type?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    4.5 grains of CFE-Pistol under anything 158 grains
    I'm not @Alpha Sierra, but Hodgdon's data shows a standard pressure starting load of 4.4 grains of CFE-P under a 158 LSWC as giving 927 fps from a 7.7" barrel. From a 4" gun I'd subtract 150-200 fps. They list two different 158 LSWCs and have the max standard pressure load at 5.0 and 5.3 grains with velocities of 1029 and 1048 respectively. They only list one +P load with a 158 Hornady XTP over 5.4 grains and 986 fps.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Something that's close to the Speer 158 +p load. Not married to any bullet as long as it has a decent metplate.
    For a given powder charge, you'll get the highest velocities with lead bullets (either coated or plain), the lowest with jacketed, and plated will fall somewhere in between. My preference would be for coated lead. I'd probably go with a traditional LSWC or LTC profile. WFN bullets are out there, but they tend to be offered at boutique prices. These plated TCs would be worth checking out if you want to stay away from lead and would be close to the Speer bullet.

860 fps avg with a Speer lead SWC from a 4" Model 64

I've since switched to truncated cone 158 gr coated bullets from SNS Casting. They slide in more easily from a speedloader and the coating (any coated bullet really) really cuts down on smoke and airborne lead.

I'm currently burning through an old can of 700-X that I got for a song, but as soon as I get rid of it I'm going back to CFE-P which is my powder of choice for 38 Special and 9X19
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 02-14-2019 at 07:27 AM.

I was wrong. I checked my ammo boxes and I have 5.3 grains of CFE Pistol, not 4.5. 860 fps through the chrono.

Site Supporter
    4.6 grains of BE-86 behind a Georgia Arms cast 158 grain SWC yields an average of 882 FPS from my 4" GP-100 and is the maximum standard pressure .38 load listed. I use this for practice in all of my .38/.357 revolvers.

2400 and 38 spl

I have Alliant load data that lists 200 gr LRN for 2400.

38 spl plus P

Rem SP
    OAL 1.54
    7.1 grs 2400
    890 fps/5.6" barrel
    17.5K PSI

That's within the 20K standard for plus P.

I think there are better powders for your application tho.
    Last edited by Borderland; 04-18-2019 at 11:52 AM.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I have some SnS 158gr coated and 160gr Matt’s that are waiting to be loaded up. I usually use Unique, but have a can of CFE Pistol I picked up along the way. Does it meter well? That’s my gripe with Unique. It’s like metering rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    This isn't about a reload but I really dig this thread cause some day I'll return to reloading and those heavy .38 loads are cool.

But, here's a +P 158 grain flatpoint from the reputable Lawman line. It just came back "in stock".

https://www.sgammo.com/product/38-sp...tmj-ammo-53750

Cheap too.
    I shot tons of that stuff when I lived 30 miles away from CCI/Speer, and up the hill from one of their local retailers. Shot LFI-1 with that load, too. Good training round.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

These pages are from Mike Venturinos research. Duplicate with caution, and keep this sort of stuff out of J & K frames. Some of it seems a bit light compared to the 1930s data.
    Name:  38-44.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  80.1 KB

Name:  38-44-1.jpg
Views: 1299
Size:  51.7 KB

User Tag List