Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AAR - Chuck Haggard Practical Revolvers 8-12-18

Out of curiosity, why the choice of a 6” 29 and .44 Special loads? That’s one hell of a hogleg to tote and run in a class and .44 Special isn’t cheap even when reloading. Not knocking your choice, just curious.

Also, your last post seems to suggest that revolvers are prone to failure after a very limited number of rounds like shot in a qualification. That’s not really the case. I don’t mean to suggest they are capable of sustaining a high round count without maintenance. I have run several revolvers 500 or more rounds without cleaning them with no degradation in performance more reliability. I’d not try one for a 2,000 round challenge though...well maybe a MR73.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Out of curiosity, why the choice of a 6” 29 and .44 Special loads? That’s one hell of a hogleg to tote and run in a class and .44 Special isn’t cheap even when reloading. Not knocking your choice, just curious.
    Because how often do you get the chance to use a model 29 in a class? It was entirely a situation where I was getting revolvers out of the safe, looked at my model 29 and thought "...well why the hell not?"

Also, your last post seems to suggest that revolvers are prone to failure after a very limited number of rounds like shot in a qualification.
    Right. You can ask guys like Chuck, Tom Givens, Wayne Dobbs, JLW, and some of the other guys who have significant experience running revolvers on police ranges about that. Some level of light maintenance done on the revolver was extremely common to avoid problems. Problems like empty cases sticking in the chambers leading to people whacking the ejector rod really hard and bending the thing, shutting the gun down. Etc.

There's even some video footage of a qual inspection and cleaning in this video:

Last edited by TCinVA; 08-18-2018 at 07:45 PM.
    3/15/2016

I've posted this link here previously, but it has been a while, and it is pertinent to this discussion:

Review of Rangemaster Revolver class

Note Tom's comments prior to the range time and then what happened on the range.

TC,

Wheeler has run a wheelgun extensively in IDPA, extensively.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Excellent write up as usual TC. And thank you Chuck, the class was excellent and very informative. 10/10 would train again.

Hammertime
    Great write up.

I am extremely new to DA revolvers, but I am finding the learning process extremely enjoyable. I am convinced that shooting one is improving my overall shooting.

They seem to slow you down slightly, just enough to be a touch more accurate.

DA triggers, at least in my hands also seem to promote slow speed accuracy despite the heavier pull, not sure why?

I would agree with you about small auto pistols being problematic and difficult to manipulate especially with age. I have seen several folks who shot themselves in the hands with their pocket .380s. However, the Glock 42 and 43, while not as small have been amazingly reliable performers in my hand, and either is smaller than an LCR, not sure about a J frame.

The small revolvers seem like more of an enthusiast’s gun and I could never recommend them to a new shooter as seems so often the case.

I am currently trying to run 2000 straight through a 9mm LCR. 700 in, it’s running like a top.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Great write up.

I am extremely new to DA revolvers, but I am finding the learning process extremely enjoyable. I am convinced that shooting one is improving my overall shooting.

They seem to slow you down slightly, just enough to be a touch more accurate.

DA triggers, at least in my hands also seem to promote slow speed accuracy despite the heavier pull, not sure why?

I would agree with you about small auto pistols being problematic and difficult to manipulate especially with age. I have seen several folks who shot themselves in the hands with their pocket .380s. However, the Glock 42 and 43, while not as small have been amazingly reliable performers in my hand, and either is smaller than an LCR, not sure about a J frame.

The small revolvers seem like more of an enthusiast’s gun and I could never recommend them to a new shooter as seems so often the case.

I am currently trying to run 2000 straight through a 9mm LCR. 700 in, it’s running like a top.

I carry a small J frame every day. I don't recommend them to anyone that's not willing to put in the time to learn to shoot one well, including folks that have 'mastered' a bottom feeder.

As far as them being an enthusiast's gun...I'm not 100% sure I agree with that assessment, simply because J frames fill a niche that no semi auto can quite fit. That being said, they do take a lot of work to learn to run well. By well I'm talking proficiently, not getting down onto the sub four second FAST drill range. Holding a J frame to the same standards as a full sized auto or even a compact is disingenuous.

How does your G 42 and 43 fit, conceal, and draw from your front pocket?
    Julius Caesar

Hammertime

How does your G 42 and 43 fit, conceal, and draw from your front pocket?
    i won’t carry the 43 due to weight but I can stuff it in the pocket.

The 42 fits and draws nicely and is the right weight for pocket carry.

The 9mm LCR seems bulky, but rides very nicely in pocket and draws amazingly fast.

The LCP is amazing to carry in pocket due to size and weight, but I don’t really trust it.

I have no no experience with J frames but I understand they are smaller than the LCR?

i'm finding these revolver classes very tempting. After I retire in November, I'll have more free time and may just attend some. I'm a few hours driving distance from Dagga Boy and the DFW area. If I do, I'd be very tempted to run my four inch nickeld 29. Why? Because it's vintage operator as fuck.

Also, your last post seems to suggest that revolvers are prone to failure after a very limited number of rounds like shot in a qualification. That’s not really the case. I don’t mean to suggest they are capable of sustaining a high round count without maintenance. I have run several revolvers 500 or more rounds without cleaning them with no degradation in performance more reliability. I’d not try one for a 2,000 round challenge though...well maybe a MR73.
    If you're getting that kind of service out of a battery of revolvers on a regular basis, you're definitely an outlier. Baby, my cherished Model 27, will go about fifty rounds before at least a little lube is required. The model 14 I used for Bullseye was tight enough that a hundred wadcutters would make it start to drag. Revolvers are simply more user involved across the spectrum.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 08-19-2018 at 12:51 AM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    i'm finding these revolver classes very tempting. After I retire in November, I'll have more free time and may just attend some. I'm a few hours driving distance from Dagga Boy and the DFW area. If I do, I'd be very tempted to run my four inch nickeld 29. Why? Because it's vintage operator as fuck.

If you're getting that kind of service out of a battery of revolvers on a regular basis, you're definitely an outlier. Baby, my cherished Model 27, will go about fifty rounds before at least a little lube is required. The model 14 I used for Bullseye was tight enough that a hundred wadcutters would make it start to drag. Revolvers are simply more user involved across the spectrum.
    Both of those are target quality revolvers with typically tighter tolerances than a model 10 or model 13 for instance. I’d suggest your annecdote is typical of those guns in that they weren’t designed for steady field use without maintenance.

Ammo choice makes a big difference as well. My 686 CS1 simply will not run lead bullets regardless of how hard they are cast. The tolerances are tight enough that a bit of galling on the cylinder face will cause things to drag. On the other hand I’ve got over 20,000 rounds through that gun and have consistently ran it for 500-700 rounds without cleaning.

I’ve also ran a multiple model 12’s, a 65, two model 10’s, a 43c, and a 317 for 500 or more rounds without cleaning them. Now my model 17 is like your 27 and 14. What’s the correlation? Tighter tolerances.
    Last edited by Wheeler; 08-19-2018 at 06:43 AM.
    Julius Caesar

Great write up. Thanks.

I'd add Bob Houzenga of Midwest training group to the list of those that can still shoot and teach revolver.

User Tag List