Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Admiral McRaven Running for President?

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Honestly I would not be surprised if the “investigation” reveals that Putin was meddling to help Hillary win. As you and others stated in this thread - the Democrats have been MUCH cozier with him and he stood to gain more with her in office.
    Even if this were proven repeatedly and unequivocally, that would never be revealed by the current crew.
    Last edited by Willard; 08-17-2018 at 10:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Honestly I would not be surprised if the “investigation” reveals that Putin was meddling to help Hillary win. As you and others stated in this thread - the Democrats have been MUCH cozier with him and he stood to gain more with her in office.
    Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Even if this were proven repeatedly and unequivocally*, that would never be revealed by the current crew.
    This is one of the few cases where I think the trimmers' answer is correct: Putin et. al. didn't really care who won, as long as they successfully fucked us up.

Looks to me like they succeeded.

Maybe not completely, the government hasn't collapsed and we aren't shooting at each other, but a significant portion of the populace seems to eat up whatever lurid details the media pushes in order to get folks to buy whatever absurd conspiracy theory they're pushing, that the only thing holding it together is that another portion, perhaps even bigger, just rolls it's eyes and gets on with life.

The latter are by no means particularly pro-Trump, other than to acknowledge that many things are getting better, even as they point put that, if Trump is Putins puppet, then Putin is a poor puppet master, considering the whole increased sanctions, arming Eastern Europe (including Ukraine!), calling in Arc Lites on Russian "mercenaries"...

*Spelling corrected, that red spellcheck underline was driving me nuts...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    This is one of the few cases where I think the trimmers' answer is correct: Putin et. al. didn't really care who won, as long as they successfully fucked us up.

Maybe not completely, the government hasn't collapsed and we aren't shooting at each other, but a significant portion of the populace seems to eat up whatever lurid details the media pushes in order to get folks to buy whatever absurd conspiracy theory they're pushing, that the only thing holding it together is that another portion, perhaps even bigger, just rolls it's eyes and gets on with life.

The latter are by no means particularly pro-Trump, other than to acknowledge that many things are getting better, even as they point put that, if Trump is Putins puppet, then Putin is a poor puppet master, considering the whole increased sanctions, arming Eastern Europe (including Ukraine!), calling in Arc Lites on Russian "mercenaries"...

Not sure who the trimmers is (didn't see a post by him/her). And if I'd noticed that accursed red underline before I so slovenly ended my post, I would have stopped it before it drove you nuts. Hope it isn't too late & you recover. The redness is gone now.
    Last edited by Willard; 08-17-2018 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Willard View Post
    Not sure who the Trimmer is...
    I meant it in this sense:
    trimmer - Wiktionary
    4. Someone who fluctuates between opposing factions, political parties etc., according to current interest, a flip-flopper. quotations ▼
    "2011, Thomas Penn, Winter King, Penguin 2012, p. 9: Lady Margaret Beaufort's third husband, Lord Stanley, an accomplished political trimmer, gave fair words but little commitment: the vast, well-armed Stanley retinues shadowed Henry's route southeast to the battlefield and waited, detached, to see how the chips fell."
    The kind of person who tries to claim everyone's correct, or if not, then everyone's at fault. In this case, there is clear evidence that Russia was meddling in the election on all sides.
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Russian intelligence has always been about influencing, corrupting, or undermining institutions. The people are just a means to that ends. They have a particular interest in undermining our intelligence and counter intelligence institutions since that makes their future efforts easier. I think that you are correct that Putin is pleased with the outcome / damage even though he probably didn't anticipate it unfolding like this.

I still say that the odds Donald Trump having engaged in a criminal conspiracy with the Russian government is roughly the same as the Clintons selling children as sex slaves out of a DC Pizza shop. In fact, people who believe those two conspiracy theories share the same neurosis but from a different political angel.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

I meant it in this sense:

The kind of person who tries to claim everyone's correct, or if not, then everyone's at fault. In this case, there is clear evidence that Russia was meddling in the election on all sides.
    This is true, but multiple studies of the online propaganda efforts have shown that the Russians thought pushing Trump or Saunders would screw the US the hardest. There's no way to know if that's because they liked them, or just because that'd maximize discord.

It seems very unlikely, given the well-studied online behavior of Russian PR organizations, that Muller comes up with a Clinton connection. Unless the Russian left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing. Time will tell, I guess, but that seems like wishful thinking at this point.
    Last edited by TheRoland; 08-18-2018 at 06:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I still say that the odds Donald Trump having engaged in a criminal conspiracy with the Russian government is roughly the same as the Clintons selling children as sex slaves out of a DC Pizza shop. In fact, people who believe those two conspiracy theories share the same neurosis but from a different political angel.
    1. C'mon, don't try to convince us that you never ordered a little child along with your "everything" pizza.

2. Different political angel? I think that angel will be the first of its kind. (Speaking of oxymorons.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

CWM11B
    [QUOTE=Sensei;775814]Russian intelligence has always been about influencing, corrupting, or undermining institutions...

I'd say that pretty much sums up every intelligence organization from the beginning of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post

This is how they are conducting disruptive warfare against us. “Just enough believable”. A good portion of this country would not have to take a far leap for believing Bill Clinton was involved in some dirty sex scandal, nor with Donald Trump with hookers in Russia. I would simply expect our LE and Inteligence agencies to not be falling for this stuff. The Russian intelligence agencies (along with others) are expecting to disrupt via social media. Getting FISA warrants and their fed stories being used by LE and National intelligence is a homerun in this new means of conducting disruptive warfare.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 08-18-2018 at 10:30 AM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    This is how they are conducting disruptive warfare against us. “Just enough believable”. A good portion of this country would not have to take a far leap for believing Bill Clinton was involved in some dirty sex scandal, nor with Donald Trump with hookers in Russia. I would simply expect our LE and Inteligence agencies to not be falling for this stuff. The Russian intelligence agencies (along with others) are expecting to disrupt via social media. Getting FISA warrants and their fed stories being used by LE and National intelligence is a homerun in this new means of conducting disruptive warfare.
    Alas, there is a long history of intelligence agencies briefing whatever line the boss wanted pushed. One example that I am extremely familiar with: MacArthur truly believed, in his heart of hearts, that he understood the Chinese and they wouldn't mess with him, so his loser G2 Willoughby suppressed all reports of Chinese PWs, right up until the entire PLA rolled over the overstretched UN Command.
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List