Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice for folks who won't ever practice

Advice for folks who won't ever practice

Todd posted this in another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    If you weren't ever going to practice, I'd say the laser could be a good idea. It allows you to aim while keeping a target focus and doesn't rely on precise alignment between eye, gun, and target. Take two equally bad shooters and I see the untrained guy with a laser outshoot the untrained guy with iron sights every time.
    We've probably all talked to folks who want a gun for protection, but who have no desire to practice or become a "shooter".

They should train, but they won't. They should take a class, but they won't. That's just being realistic. They believe in the gun as magic wand, and they're set on buying something. So what choices can these folks make -- or can we help them make -- to be as safe and effective as possible?

Just as an example, what would be a reasonable "nightstand gun" for someone who might not touch it for years? A 4" Model 10 with Crimson Trace grips?

I wouldn't suggest a gun to anyone that isn't willing to take the responsibility of defensive handgun ownership serious enough to get at least basic training, and practice a few times a year.

If they practice a few times a year, and receive basic training in defensive gun use, then any modern auto loader in at least 9mm will do.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    I wouldn't suggest a gun to anyone that isn't willing to take the responsibility of defensive handgun ownership serious enough to get at least basic training, and practice a few times a year.

If they practice a few times a year, and receive basic training in defensive gun use, then any modern auto loader in at least 9mm will do.
    Precisely.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard prospective gun buyers say something like "I'll get a _____, and maybe a box of bullets. It doesn't matter cuz I'll put it in the sock drawer, and if someone breaks in I'll just wave it at them."

In a case like that, any firearm might be a bad idea / liability.

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    Precisely.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard prospective gun buyers say something like "I'll get a _____, and maybe a box of bullets. It doesn't matter cuz I'll put it in the sock drawer, and if someone breaks in I'll just wave it at them."

In a case like that, any firearm might be a bad idea / liability.
    But the bigger and more intimidating it looks, the better. So maybe a Desert Eagle?

Every effing day I deal with this. Every day.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Just as an example, what would be a reasonable "nightstand gun" for someone who might not touch it for years?
    Remington 870 youth 20ga.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post

Just as an example, what would be a reasonable "nightstand gun" for someone who might not touch it for years? A 4" Model 10 with Crimson Trace grips?
    Funny you mention that. A few years ago I was invited out to a local indoor range to shoot with the principal of one of our vendors and one of his buddies. Well the "vendor" is a former Israeli paratrooper with combat experience in Lebanon. He doesn't shoot often and isn't current with ISO, grip, drawstroke etc but he effortlessly printed 3" groups of ten at 20 yards with his Sig P226. OTOH, his buddy showed up with an empty pistol rug and had to run home again to get the actual gun. He was not a squared away gun guy.

But when he returned it was with a 4" Model 10 with a laser. And he started rolling DA groups at 7 yards you could cover with your fist. He didn't even raise it completely to eye level. Just out in front of his jaw and shot. He was as clueless a gun guy as I've met, a liberal that refused my challenge of a $100 bet that Bush would beat Kerry, but he just put that red light on the bulleye and rolled off hits.

It reminded me of the legends of why the Samuraii hated firearms. They negated the life long learned skills of their craft. The laser made this guy able to control his hits better than comparable clueless NDP shooters I'd seen shooting a DA revolver.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks2112 View Post
    That's funny.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Remington 870 youth 20ga.
    QFT

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks2112 View Post
    I can kinda understand why some gun shop employees are surly types (not saying you are)

User Tag List