Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Trijicon RMR wins USSOCOM Handgun Reflex Sight (HRS) Contract

From reading on this and other forums it seems to me that most don't think these slide mount RDS's are quite ready for 'prime time got to be 100% reliable' use. The RMR is one that gets mentioned as maybe the best so far but....Does this USSOCOM contract mean they know more than we do because they have done a lot of testing? Or perhaps the mil version is different than what we can buy? I am curious because my impression was that we are a few years away from 100% so this thread surprised me.

Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post
    My hope for this would have been "one mounting pattern/footprint to rule them all" but it looks like we're going to maintain 2 distinct patterns...

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    As an engineer I would have like to have seen an adoption of a footprint and bolt pattern then allow/let the market compete.

It would only make sense to commonize the footprint/bolt pattern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    From reading on this and other forums it seems to me that most don't think these slide mount RDS's are quite ready for 'prime time got to be 100% reliable' use. The RMR is one that gets mentioned as maybe the best so far but....Does this USSOCOM contract mean they know more than we do because they have done a lot of testing? Or perhaps the mil version is different than what we can buy? I am curious because my impression was that we are a few years away from 100% so this thread surprised me.
    ...IMO, many times USSOCOM adopted things before they were 100%

and, "perfect is the enemy of good enough"

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    While I don’t think many feel the technology is fully mature, perhaps the military thought, on balance, the benefits of a dot on a pistol, even with current technology, outweigh the negatives. From what I have read, and only based on that, the military optic is a type 2 RMR.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    As an engineer I would have like to have seen an adoption of a footprint and bolt pattern then allow/let the market compete.

It would only make sense to commonize the footprint/bolt pattern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Footprint/bolt pattern is a start, but I would like to see the optic fully supported the way Primary Machine and ATEI do their installations.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Trijicon RMR wins USSOCOM Handgun Reflex Sight (HRS) Contract

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    While I don’t think many feel the technology is fully mature, perhaps the military thought, on balance, the benefits of a dot on a pistol, even with current technology, outweigh the negatives. From what I have read, and only based on that, the military optic is a type 2 RMR.

Footprint/bolt pattern is a start, but I would like to see the optic fully supported the way Primary Machine and ATEI do their installations.
    Sometimes getting a unit that’s good enough out there is better than delaying till you NEVER get the perfect unit. Plus, I’m 99.973% certain that should a SOCOM guy draw his sidearm and doesn’t see a dot that he wouldnt freak out and miss the target, like say the guy who shoots 1000 rounds a decade and never trains with his backups. The other benefit of the choice is that this may further motivate folks to spend time developing better stuff. Knowing there is a SOCOM need means there will be a DOD need soon, then a LEO need ... just like how the RDS on a carbine has become the de facto standard.

1000+ on the full support. I was honestly totally surprised that when Trijicon releases the RMR2 they didn’t shave a few millimeters off the sides do it doesn’t overhang at least the Glock slide width.
    Last edited by TAZ; 08-22-2018 at 10:24 AM.

Just curious if these are identical to type 2s? CDIII said the rep he was taking to said they were and I would assume the same thing.

User Tag List