Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Walking/Jogging Carry

Site Supporter
    I must be just the right shape. I just use my normal belt, holster, and G19. This hasn't changed while losing 30 lbs in the last year and change. I run with a light in my hand because I have used it more than once to back off a charging dog. I need to get a few cans of pepper spray to work with as others have pointed out it is much better to spray someone down with irritants then lead.

Site Supporter
    When I did walk regularly, I carried one G22/23/27 series in a Glock sport/combat polymer holster. When I ran daily when training for Philmont Scout Ranch backpacking trip in '11, I did not carry. I really need to start again and will probably rely on a airweight J frame in an old belly band.
    Last edited by deputyG23; 08-16-2018 at 12:42 PM.

I run about 5 miles at a time, three times a week. I wear a regular pair of shorts with belt loops and pockets, not a pair of athletic shorts. I carry a G26 using a Mastermind Tactics AIWB holster and belt "covered" by a t-shirt. I say "covered" because the shirt is basically pressed into the gun due to the running and it isn't concealed at all, it's just covered by the shirt. I also run in a constitutional carry state on a dirt road where I encounter few vehicles and even fewer pedestrians so I'm not too concerned with printing on my runs. I haven't found this mode of carry to be uncomfortable or irritating.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    For walking, it really depends on how you are dressed. For me, if I’m wearing cargo shorts, I’ll just wear a baggy shirt over it and carry my IWB holstered gun. For the past year, that’s mostly been a G26.3. A fanny pack works, too. So can pocket carry, unless you’re wearing floppy athletic shorts.

For running, you need something that doesn’t bounce. Some fanny packs could work, but the best I’ve come across is a Smartcarry with a light gun in it. A 642 or G42 or P32 works great - except I hear the P32 is more susceptible to internal parts rusting than is really tolerable. But you could carry one in a Speedo. I can get away with a G26 if I’m not really running, just doing jogging intervals interspersed with waking, but real running pretty much needs lighter. For the past 15 years, that’s mostly been a 642, but ever since we got G42s, they’ve been usurping most of the times I carry the 642.

For the gym, again, it depends on how you dress. Skin tight yoga clothes are going to be a problem for anything. Looser clothes, the Smartcarry with the G42 or 642 or G26 - something will work. It also depends partly on what exercises I’m doing. But a loose T-shirt that hangs over the waistband, the gun butt up near the waistband, with the G42 or 642, and I can pretty much do anything I normally do at the gym. I don’t jump on stacked boxes!

10-18 miles per week.

Historically very good luck with a PT-Two from these guys http://www.pistolwear.com/pt-2-concealment-holster/, with weapons ranging from a P7 to a lightweight commander. Double stacks were problematic.

More recently G43 in a Mastermind AIWB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    What are you all carrying when you go out for a walk or jog in your town or cities? Walking and jogging clothes do not lend themselves to concealed carry. Ruger LCP that would fit in a pocket?

And, I'm not talking about what GJM or Lost River may carry when going for a hike in the wilderness.
    I live in Miami in an urban area, when I’m doing fitness outside the house I carry a small thing of pepper spray. If I carry a gun, it’s a S&W 351PD in a Dark Star Gear holster.

Site Supporter
    S&W Shield, cuffs, and badge wallet in a Hill People Gear Snubby Pack, OC, and keys in my pockets. If it's dark, I can slip a Powertac E5 to the pack. If I bring a phone, I can do likewise.

I also have a 10-24 Products chest pack that will accommodate a larger pistol.

Reading the posts here, it appears that I am seriously under-equipped when I go running.

I usually carry a 1.5-ounce OC/CS canister and a small automatic knife (a Benchmade 4300 CLA 3.4").
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    Reading the posts here, it appears that I am seriously under-equipped when I go running.

I usually carry a 1.5-ounce OC/CS canister and a small automatic knife (a Benchmade 4300 CLA 3.4").
    I will run without a gun, unhappily, like when I travel. I would never want to run without a phone.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I will run without a gun, unhappily, like when I travel. I would never want to run without a phone.
    Fortunately I do carry my phone, too, as it is small enough to 'pocket' during runs. I guess that the appeal of running with a gun, unlike that of running with scissors, is that it serves a real purpose, even if that purpose is nothing more than the mental comfort of knowing that there is another option available other than screaming and pissing myself after the OC/CS canister runs out...
    Last edited by the Schwartz; 08-16-2018 at 04:30 PM.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

User Tag List