Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI. Colorado in late Sept?

RFI. Colorado in late Sept?

We were planning to go to Tampa in Sept for a week long vacation but the Red Tide has mucked up that plan.

Now we’re looking at Denver and possibly mountain CO. 5 adults, including grandparents and two infants. Possibly more.

All but the mildest hiking and typical outdoor activities are out.

What are some must do activities for a bunch of out-of-shape flatlanders?
    David S.

Site Supporter
    Will there be any expected issues with breathing above 5,000 or 10,000 feet?

Garden of the Gods is some nice easy hiking, or drop off and enjoy the views.
    Pikes Peak is accessible by car, but 14K isn't trivial for elderly flatlanders.

If 9K is ok.... We love Winter Park in the Summer/Fall... Good food, nice views. Shopping (ick). I think the YMCA in nearby Fraser does horseback riding year round.??
    https://snowmountainranch.org/

If you need to stay low... Aspen/Vail/Leadville have stuff to do... Panning for gold, tour a working mine.. Horseback riding.
    If you plan to stay in Denver.... Catch a Rockies game... Be sure to sit along the first base line... The sunsets are amazing.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

We were in Breckinridge for our honeymoon last year the third week of October. Fantastic weather - warm during the day, chilly at night - and we only saw a trace of snow. September should be early enough that all the rustic passes are still open for driving and nights will be a little warmer.

Breckenridge is a nice combination of “real” town, ski town and tourist town. Many, many condos are available since this is the ski off season.

Banned
    Rock Ledge Ranch is a nice walk through right outside Garden of the Gods. They call it a working farm but it's really not but they do have period authentic buildings and a small museum and it's an easy level walk. Cheyenne Mountain Zoo is also worth a walk through

If you’re near Estes Park, check out the Stanley Hotel, if you’re into horror movies or ghost tours. We had fun there.

Vending Machine Operator
    Estes Park and the Stanley are absolute musts, I second that. The Stanley is gorgeous and has a great restaurant. There are also some very nice and very affordable cabins to rent there.

I go every fall for the past four years.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

If you drink, the craft beer scene in pretty much all of Breckenridge, Boulder, and downtown Denver is excellent.

If you're in the Southern area, The Royal Gorge just out Canon City is worth checking out. In the extreme S.W. you have Mesa Verde National Park with the cliff dwellings which are a must see.
    Last edited by FNFAN; 08-16-2018 at 09:52 PM.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Rock Ledge Ranch is a nice walk through right outside Garden of the Gods. They call it a working farm but it's really not but they do have period authentic buildings and a small museum and it's an easy level walk. Cheyenne Mountain Zoo is also worth a walk through
    Also in the Colorado Springs area is the Pikes Peak highway, the Cave of the Winds, Manitou Cliff Dwellings, ProRodeo Hall of Fame, Pioneers museum, Peterson Air and Space Museum, the Air Force Academy, Red Rock Open Space (for easy hiking). Cripple Creek is nearby if you are into gambling.

If you do head to Canyon City, they have a train that goes up the river and passes under the Royal Gorge bridge. Expensive, but definitely worth it. I think there are prison museums in Canyon City too.

Depending on when the aspens turn, a drive in the mountains can provide some stunning views that time of year.
    Last edited by cornstalker; 08-16-2018 at 10:11 PM.

There's a handful of tourist videos about Colorado on Amazon. Also check out The Colorado Experience on YouTube.

Crave Real Burgers is a really popular chain of restaurants in Colorado, they make OK burgers and pile weird stuff on them, but they do it pretty well.

Royal Gorge is cool but it's something like $25 per person to get in. Worth it but with multiple people it gets expensive. Pike's Peak I think they charge by the car, and you have to drive up because the cog railway is broke down and might never be fixed.

Crystal Mill is one of the most photographed spots in the country and not too far from Denver as I understand it.

I don't go much farther north than Colorado Springs if I can help it so I don't know the area too well. But it is a major city with tons of history so there will be loads to do, even on a budget.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

User Tag List